Home פורומים הפורומים Forum: תהליך הקבלה ארכיון 1: שאל את ארינגו: תהליך הקבלה

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 51 עד 100 (מתוך 1,134 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • עומר
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 49

גילם, הבנתי שכשמישהו מתראיין לוורטון המראיין רואה רק את קורות החיים שלו, זה נכון?

האם המראיין מעביר לוורטון את קורות החיים שהמרואיין נתן לו או שהמראיין רק מעביר דו"ח לבית הספר?

aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1368

תגובה להודעה של עומר מיום July 26 2003

גילם, הבנתי שכשמישהו מתראיין לוורטון המראיין רואה רק את קורות החיים שלו, זה נכון?

נכון.

האם המראיין מעביר לוורטון את קורות החיים שהמרואיין נתן לו או שהמראיין רק מעביר דו"ח לבית הספר?

זה עניין פנימי של ועדת הקבלה, סביר שהם אינם רוצים לפרסם את התהליך הפנימי.

בהצלחה!

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il

http://www.aringo.co.il

עומר
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 49

עוד שאלה. האם עדיף לטוס לבית הספר להתראיין לעומת להתראיין פה עם בוגרים? האם וורטון יתנו אקסטרה קרדיט על המאמץ?

aringo
    חבר

עוד שאלה. האם עדיף לטוס לבית הספר להתראיין לעומת להתראיין פה עם בוגרים? האם וורטון יתנו אקסטרה קרדיט על המאמץ?

בהחלט יכול להיות לזה ערך מוסף. כמובן שיש לזה עלות משמעותית, ולכן התשובה נורא תלויה בנסיבות – כל מקרה לגופו (מי אמור לראיין אותך בארץ, ממה מורכבים קורות החיים שלך, איך האנגלית שלך, איך תתנהג ומה תעשה כשאתה שם).

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il

omri
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 66

Hi GIlam,

again about the interviews:

1. is it conducted after I submit my application OR before?

2. If that is the case then if I am willing to spend a couple of K$ on a trip, should I do it before I apply, in order to see/ feel the school , be able to say I visited school/ campus/ clsses etc. OR save it for a interview

3. Do all school s invite you for an interview and how do people from here manage to coordinate all of these in one week?

Thanks!!!!

Amit
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 36

In reply to omri from July 15 2003

Omri

One clarification, Cornell’s one-year program (called the TMO which stands for Twelve Month Options) is open to applicants with advanced degrees in engineering and science. Unfortunately vast experience doesn’t count toward eligibility to this program. The rational is that the TMO program is so intense (you cover all of the core courses during the summer) that you need to have excellent quantitative knowledge to overcome this challenge.

If you are interested in Cornell’s two-year program I will be happy to tell you more about it.

Amit

aringo
    חבר

Hi GIlam,

again about the interviews:

In most schools, the interview is conducted after you submit your application and following an initial screening. This means that many applicants are rejected without an interview. In some schools (e.g. Chicago) the interview is conducted as an integral part of the application process, prior to submitting your application.

2. If that is the case then if I am willing to spend a couple of K$ on a trip, should I do it before I apply, in order to see/ feel the school , be able to say I visited school/ campus/ clsses etc. OR save it for a interview

It is often valuable to do both trips (and most people won't do both due to the cost). The first one is almost always good (assuming you do the right things while on campus…), the second one really depends on each specific case. Feel free to give me a call if you need help making a decision here.

3. Do all school s invite you for an interview and how do people from here manage to coordinate all of these in one week?

See answer #1 above. In most cases, the interviews will happen in different weeks – you will not be able to make all of them on campus and will need to make location decisions. Keep in mind that most leading schools have regular alumni interviews in Israel.

Thanks!!!!

You're welcome. Much luck.

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aviram
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 3

Hi Gilam!

My name is Aviram and i am a MBA student from Tel Aviv Uni.I am supposed to study a fall semester at Case Western Reserve Uni. in Cleveland Ohio. What do you know about this university???

Thanks a lot,Aviram

mba_mb1
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

In reply to omri from July 29 2003

Certain schools offer student initiated interviews on campus: Darden, Duke, Dartmouth, Chicago and Yale. In addition, I know Kellogg has a 100% interview policy, but I'm not sure at which stage of the application you're actually interviewed (never applied there). c

If you have the money and the time I think you should go for it. Even in the schools you can't interview with, you can still get a campus tour, sit in a class, and have lunch with current students. You'll see the facilities and housing, and get to know the town and area. All this will give you a very strong feeling about the school and whether it suits you or not (it also shows commitment).

Some of the above mentioned schools recommend to visit & interview before submitting the application. Others have no preference. I would visit beforehand, because it could considerably improve your essays if you know what the school is like in actuality and not in brochures.

3. Do all schools invite you for an interview and how do people from here manage to coordinate all of these in one week?

If you travel before applying I think you can fit 4-5 school visits per week, though it'll be very tight. If you schedule early I think they'll accommodate your requests so that you could build a reasonable schedule. Try traveling after mid-September but no later than mid/end of October since some schools have a mid-term break, or stop offering self-initiated interviews after a certain date.

As for the schools that don't offer you an interview in advance, or to which you can't travel: some offer Alumni interviews here in Israel (Wharton, Columbia, MIT, Kellogg and I heard that occasionally also HBS and others) or a phone interview (HBS, Darden and more). If indeed schools invite you to interview and you decide to travel again, I doubt whether you'll be able to fit a few schools in one trip, since each school has its own deadlines and schedules. If for example you apply R1 to all schools you might get an invitation from one school in early November and from another in January (if they do invite you at all). c

My recommendation: if you can afford it, visit all your top selections before applying, and interview where possible. Interview in Israel or over the phone with those that enable you to do so, and save your second trip to your #1 choice, if you haven't yet interviewed there and indeed they invite you (and if you can fit others at the same time it's a bonus). c

aringo
    חבר

In reply to aviram from אוגוסט 01 2003

Hi Gilam!

My name is Aviram and i am a MBA student from Tel Aviv Uni.I am supposed to study a fall semester at Case Western Reserve Uni. in Cleveland Ohio. What do you know about this university???

I know that their MBA program is considered top-50 in the US (out of probably over a thousand MBA programs), somewhere between 30th and 50th place. Beyond that, I am not familiar with the program.

Thanks a lot,Aviram

You're welcome. Good luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

danteleman2002
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 152

In reply to mba_mb1 from August 02 2003

Duke doesn't require an interview as part of the admission process, but an interview is considered to be an advantage.

Since last year, Duke applicants CAN interview in Israel by an alum living there or by me during the christmas peroid.

Danny

KingsCross
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

Hi,

I am applying for the Kellog-Recanati Intenrational EMBA, have no graduate degree but an extremely attractive business expereience. I am asked to to undertake the GMAT, but have been told that I don't need to complete the essays part, just the remaining parts.

My question is – how the score is calculated for such a partial exam? Is 620 under these circumstances, are considered harder to acheive than when taking the full exam?

Thanks.

danidin
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 8

In reply to KingsCross from August 05 2003

ציון על החיבורים לא משפיע על הציון שבסקלה 200-800, אלא ניתן כציון נפרד. לכן אתה יכול להוציא אפילו 800, ללא כתיבת החיבורים.

aringo
    חבר

Hi,

I am applying for the Kellog-Recanati Intenrational EMBA, have no graduate degree but an extremely attractive business expereience. I am asked to to undertake the GMAT, but have been told that I don't need to complete the essays part, just the remaining parts.

My question is – how the score is calculated for such a partial exam? Is 620 under these circumstances, are considered harder to acheive than when taking the full exam?

Our specialty is MBA programs in the US and Europe. Therefore, we are not familiar with the way in which GMAT scores are calculated if the essay part is not completed. So, please take my opinion with a grain of salt here: I think that you can get up to 800 without the essays, because the essays get a separate score. Thanks, "Danidin", for helping out here.

Good Luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

awand
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 12

שלום Danidin,

אני מציע שתשאל את אותה שאלה תחת החלק של ask GMAX

על מנת לקבל תשובה מוסמכת

אסף

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Eyal from August 06 2003

הי גלעם,

שמי איל והייתי מעונין לדעת מה הם סיכויי הקבלה שלי לאוניברסיטת קולומביה כאשר אני חי ועובד בארה"ב (אזרח), אני איש הייטק כבר 5 שנים, לא בתפקידים זוטרים וה GPA מעל ל 3.5 מקולג אמריקאי? איזה ציון GMAT רצוי שאקבל כדי להבטיח סיכויים טובים להתקבל?

איל, המידע שנתת מאפשר לי לתת לך "ניחוש גס" בלבד – הייתי אומר שציון מעל 700 יביא לכך שנושא ה-GMAT לא יהיה מה שהם קוראים לו "concern". סביר להניח שמציון כזה ומעלה מה שיקבע אם אתה בפנים או בחוץ יהיה שאר מרכיבי האפליקיישן שלך. עוד סביר כי ציון שגבוה משמעותית מ- 700 יכול לאזן במידת מה concerns אחרים באפליקיישן שלך, כגון GPA נמוך.

תודה,

בבקשה ובהצלחה!

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il

gidi
    חבר

גילעם,

הייתי מעוניין לקבל את הערכתך ביחס לסיכויי הקבלה שלי:

גיל 30, תואר ראשון משפטים, ממוצע 87 (מצטיין דיקן), סטאז' באחד מהמשרדים המסחריים הגדולים בתל אביב ולאחר מכן מעבר לתחום ההשקעות באחת מחברות ההשקעה הגדולות במשק (3 שנות נסיון ויחד עם ההתמחות באיזור ה- 4.5), 670 GMAT. האם יש צורך בשיפור ה- GMAT והאם ספטמבר אוקטובר יספיקו (במקביל לעבודה במשרה מלאה) להכנת שתי פניות לאוניברסיטאות מובילות (בתחום ה- Finance)?

תודה.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to gidi from August 07 2003

גילעם,

הייתי מעוניין לקבל את הערכתך ביחס לסיכויי הקבלה שלי:

גיל 30, תואר ראשון משפטים, ממוצע 87 (מצטיין דיקן), סטאז' באחד מהמשרדים המסחריים הגדולים בתל אביב ולאחר מכן מעבר לתחום ההשקעות באחת מחברות ההשקעה הגדולות במשק (3 שנות נסיון ויחד עם ההתמחות באיזור ה- 4.5), 670 GMAT. האם יש צורך בשיפור ה- GMAT והאם ספטמבר אוקטובר יספיקו (במקביל לעבודה במשרה מלאה) להכנת שתי פניות לאוניברסיטאות מובילות (בתחום ה- Finance)?

גידי,

בהנחה שאתה מתעניין בבתי ספר בארה"ב, שהפוקוס שלך מימוני, שההצטיינות היא בתואר כולו, שתעשה חיבורים חזקים ושהרקע הצבאי שלך מרשים למדי, נשמע שתהיה תחרותי ב- MIT, Duke, Darden, Yale, Michigan. יהיה stretch אך אפשרי בקולומביה, וורטון, NYU ושיקגו. אני ממליץ לך לפנות גם לסיימון ו/או לרייס, כגיבוי וכמקום אפשרי למלגות משמעותיות. LBS הוא גם כן מקום שכדאי לשקול אותו במקרה שלך.

לא יזיק לנסות לשפר את ה-GMAT אם לדעתך יש סיכוי סביר שהוא ישתפר במאמץ לא גדול. ספטמבר-אוקטובר יהיה זמן קצר להכנות אך אפשרי (תלוי לאן תפנה, יש דדליינים שונים), ובכל מקרה ניתן לפנות לשאר המקומות בסבב השני.

תודה

בהצלחה!

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Eyal from August 08 2003

הי גלעם,

תודה רבה על התייחסותך לשאלותיי.

ציינת שהמידע שסיפקתי אינו מספיק לתת הערכה יותר מדוייקת, בבקשה אמור לי מה נחוץ כדי להעריך יותר במדויק, ואני אספק אותו. בנוסף הייתי מעונין לדעת מה כובד משקל החיבורים ואו הראיון האישי בתהליך הקבלה? אנא תקן אותי אם אני טועה, להערכתי רוב המשקל נתון ל GMAT ול GPA, ואם אלו מספקים את "הצרכים" הראשונים (אך חשובים) האלו רק אז פונים לשאר מרכיבי האפליקשיין לסינון נוסף, האם אני בכוון?

איל,

ה-GMAT וה-GPA הם מרכיב אחד מתוך מכלול של מרכיבים ושיקולים שמרכיבים יחד את תמונת המועמדות שלך. אפשר להתקבל להרוורד, לוורטון ולאחרים עם GMAT 640 ו-GPA של 75/100. אפשר להדחות עם GMAT 780 והצטיינות יתרה בלימודים. החיבורים והראיון הם רכיבים נוספים במכלול הנ"ל וכולם מצטרפים יחד לתמונה הכוללת על המועמד ול"ציון" שיקבל המועמד. ועדות הקבלה ברוב בתי הספר שמות דגש גבוה במיוחד על החיבורים ועל הראיון.

אני גם מתלבט איזו תוכנית עדיפהכדאית, תוכנית ה MBA או תוכנית ה EMBA?

מאוד תלוי ברקע, באופי ובתוכניות של המועמד. תרים טלפון או שלח לי אימייל ואנסה לעזור בעניין הזה ובעניין הפרטים הנוספים שרצית לספק.

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il

dgs
    חבר

hi

As an electrical engeneering student at the Technion (my last semester) i would like to bring up a very disturbing subject: the GPA. I would like to know if business schools abroad, take into considiration the place(university) and major(the degree), when disscussing a candidates profile and chances.If so, how and in what way?

thanks alot

aringo
    חבר

In reply to dgs from August 12 2003

hi

As an electrical engeneering student at the Technion (my last semester) i would like to bring up a very disturbing subject: the GPA. I would like to know if business schools abroad, take into considiration the place(university) and major(the degree), when disscussing a candidates profile and chances.If so, how and in what way?

Admission committees care about your academic achievements and often look at your GPA in a "relative" perspective, i.e. your success relative to your classmates is important (e.g. top 15% of class). Admission committees abroad put relatively low emphasis on the reputation of the school from which you graduated in Israel, and on the major. They do take into account professional work and/or additional academic work that you undertook during your undergraduate studies.

thanks alot

Sure, good luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il – MBA essays

eranzack
    חבר

היי גלעם,

שאלה בקשר למבחן הטופל:

האם ועדות הקבלה מתייחסות לגובה הציון או רק לעובדה שהציון עובר מינימום מסויים?.

לדוגמא האם ציון של 290 יכול להועיל לתהליך הקבלה יותר מציון של 260 ?

תודה מראש,

aringo
    חבר

In reply to eranzack from August 13 2003

היי גלעם,

שאלה בקשר למבחן הטופל:

האם ועדות הקבלה מתייחסות לגובה הציון או רק לעובדה שהציון עובר מינימום מסויים?.

לדוגמא האם ציון של 290 יכול להועיל לתהליך הקבלה יותר מציון של 260 ?

ערן,

לועדות חשוב שהאנגלית שלך תהיה ברמה מספקת על מנת שתוכל להצליח בלימודים ובעבודה בחו"ל. ה-TOEFL משמש ככלי חשוב להערכת מצב האנגלית שלך וזה בד"כ עיקר תפקידו. אם האנגלית שלך ברמה מספקת (250+ או 270+, תלוי לאן תפנה) אזי ה- TOEFL בד"כ "עשה את שלו", ולא יהיה חשוב אם הוא הרבה או מעט יותר גבוה מהרמה המספקת.

תודה מראש,

בהצלחה!

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il – MBA Essays

aringo
    חבר

Elad, you may want to post this in the discussion "MBA Abroad". Also, you may find someone by browsing the IIMBA site.

Much luck,

Gilam

Anne
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 25

היי גילעם,

אני בוגרת כלכלה באונ' בן-גוריון עם ממוצע 81.4, סטודנטית ל-MBA באונ' ת"א, עם ממוצע 87.5.יש לי 3.5 שנות ניסיון, רקע בהתנדבות, GMAT– 700, TOEFL-280. לאיזה בתי ספר למנהל עסקים בארה"ב תמליץ לגשת?

תודה מראש,

אנה.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Anne from August 20 2003

היי גילעם,

אני בוגרת כלכלה באונ' בן-גוריון עם ממוצע 81.4, סטודנטית ל-MBA באונ' ת"א, עם ממוצע 87.5.יש לי 3.5 שנות ניסיון, רקע בהתנדבות, GMAT– 700, TOEFL-280. לאיזה בתי ספר למנהל עסקים בארה"ב תמליץ לגשת?

אנה,

הנתונים הנ"ל (והעובדה שאת אישה) הופכים אותך למועמדת עם פוטנציאל לקבלה לבתי הספר בעשיריה הראשונה בארה"ב, ולמועמדת ריאלית לבתי ספר בעשיריה השניה. ה- GPA הוא concern מסויים שניתן לאזן אותו עם נתונים חזקים על הרקע שלך והתקופה שחלפה מאז שסיימת ללמוד. הרבה תלוי באופי של נסיון העבודה וההתנדבות שלך (המידע הזה היה עוזר לי להיות ספציפי יותר), בהסבר שתתני לצורך ב- MBA נוסף (או להפסקת ה-MBA בת"א) ובהתאמה בין התוכניות שלך לעתיד לבין האופי של ביה"ס.

תודה מראש,

בהצלחה!

גילעם לוי

aringo.co.il – MBA Essays

Anne
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from August 21 2003

היי גילעם,

תודה רבה על העזרה!

להלן פרטים על רקע שלי בהתנדבות: 3 שנים חונכת בפר"ח, שנה לימדתי עברית לעולים חדשים, מתנדבת בצה"ל וחברה בעמותת אנונימוס (להגנת זכויות בעלי חיים).

תודה מראש,

אנה

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Anne from August 21 2003

בהחלט מרשים! אם כך, צד ה- Community אצלך מכוסה היטב, ובד"כ יהווה "חוזקה" שתאזן חלקים אחרים, אולי חזקים פחות, באפליקיישן שלך.

גילעם

Anne
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from August 21 2003

המון תודות,

אנה

eranzack
    חבר

גילעם שלום,

אני מתכוון להגיש מועמדות לקולומביה, שם נדרשות שתי המלצות.

אני עובד במשרד רו"ח גדול (כ 1000 עובדים) , וההממליץ הראשון יהיה כמובן השותף שאחראי עליי, שהוא גם הממונה הישיר שלי.

יש לי התלבטות לגבי הממליץ השני. האם עדיף לקחת המלצה מהשותף המנהל בפירמה או מלקוח? כאשר התייעצתי עם תלמידים ובוגרים של קולומביה, חלק אמרו שעדיף לקחת המלצה מהשותף המנהל בגלל מעמדו, ואילו אחרים סברו שעדיף לקוח על מנת להדגיש צדדים שונים וע"י כך להציג יותר גיוון. מה דעתך בעניין?

כמו כן, האם עדיף לקבל המלצות בצורה של תשובות על השאלות באפליקיישן או בצורה של מכתב?

תודה מראש,

Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Hi Gilam,

I have a BA in Human Resources (av. 86) and Eng. Literature (av. 80).

I haven't done the GMAT yet. I have more then 3 years experience in HR. Which schools in Europe do you think I should apply?

itaira
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 4

Hi Gilam.

I hope you could help me solve my dilemma. I did the GMAT test a few weeks ago and received in it 660. My calculated GPA is 4.0 based on the grades I achieved during my Economic and Business Administration studies in the Hebrew University. Finally, my experience includes 3 years in the army as a commander, 2 years of full time job as a manager during my studies and my current work as a consultant in highly familiar company. I'm applying to the top 10 universities in the U.S. My questions are:

1. Do I need to explain in my essays my GMAT score? Where?

2. If doing the GMAT again mean not applying to the first round should I postpone my application?

3. If I received a significantly high score in the Israeli psychometric test, should I mention it in the one of the essays?

yuvaly
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 9

Hi Gilam,

I have recently graduaded the Hebrew University in Computer Sciences and Math at an average of 88.56. I have worked in intel for approximately 1.5 years and I have been working in Amdocs for also relatively 1.5 years. As I am about to commence an M.Sc in computer science I am pondering heavily of persuing an MBA in England (Either LBS or LSE, preferably LBS). I am about to take the GMAT in 3 months time. I feel obligated to mention that the courses I have taken in my B.Sc were relatively hard and rigorous to explain my good but not excellent average.

I will be most appreciative if you could relate to the following questions:

(1) how would you consider my chances of addmission ?

(2) The LSE asks for GRE rather than GMAT. Is there any chance they would settle for the GMAT ?

(3) As I worked in Intel in a full time job my during my studies I had rather poor grades. After reprioritizing my goals I quit Intel and dedicated myself to my studies where I virtually started the B.Sc all over again only to conclude it in less than 3 years time. Should I mention this anywhere as a virtue of ambition and stamina ?

(3) What are my propspects when the IVY League or similar is considered ?

Thanks,

Yuval.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Undisclosed Member from August 23 2003

Hi Gilam,

I have a BA in Human Resources (av. 86) and Eng. Literature (av. 80).

I haven't done the GMAT yet. I have more then 3 years experience in HR. Which schools in Europe do you think I should apply?

It would have been great if you could provide me with some more details (your future goals, age, military, what exprience in HR (management?), otehr work exprerience) so I can give you an informed answer.

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

In reply to itaira from August 24 2003

Hi Gilam.

I hope you could help me solve my dilemma. I did the GMAT test a few weeks ago and received in it 660. My calculated GPA is 4.0 based on the grades I achieved during my Economic and Business Administration studies in the Hebrew University. Finally, my experience includes 3 years in the army as a commander, 2 years of full time job as a manager during my studies and my current work as a consultant in highly familiar company. I'm applying to the top 10 universities in the U.S. My questions are:

1. Do I need to explain in my essays my GMAT score? Where?

You can explain that in the optional essay, assuming that you have some valuable fact to provide that will shed additional light on your score.

2. If doing the GMAT again mean not applying to the first round should I postpone my application?

If you believe that you can significantly improve your GMAT and have the "nerves" to take it again, I generally think that it is a good idea to re-take it and wait to the next round. However, my specific answer may change based on the specific schools that you are applying to.

3. If I received a significantly high score in the Israeli psychometric test, should I mention it in the one of the essays?

Yes, I think this can be one of the above-mentioned facts that you can write in the optional essay.

Good luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

In reply to daniel from August 24 2003

Hi Gilam

I have really high grades on the GMAT (almost 800) and in my BA studies in economics (96 average). Well done! Very impressive. I also have 3 years exp in an international finance firm following my studies. Do you know of a good MBA school where these grades will enable me to qualify for a scholarship (a significant one, which covers at least half the tuition)? What are the chances for such qualification?

A more general question – is it possible to earn these types of scholarships (one which cover at least half the tuition) before beginning the studies, or are they always awarded based on the achievements in school.

Daniel,

Merit-based scholarships are awarded prior to beginning the MBA as well as (sometimes) based on academic achievements while taking the program. Most schools have endowments or funds dedicated to merit-based scholarship purposes, and the amounts are significanly higher at schools that are ranked lower.

In general, with a very strong application (that adds up to your impressive background and stats) you may qualify for a merit-based, post-admission, pre-studies scholarship of half or full tuition. The likelyhood of such scholarships significantly increases as you go "down" the rankings. However, there are such scholarships (rare) even in the top-5 schools.

Thank you,

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

In reply to yuvaly from August 24 2003

Hi Gilam,

I have recently graduaded the Hebrew University in Computer Sciences and Math at an average of 88.56. I have worked in intel for approximately 1.5 years and I have been working in Amdocs for also relatively 1.5 years. As I am about to commence an M.Sc in computer science I am pondering heavily of persuing an MBA in England (Either LBS or LSE, preferably LBS). I am about to take the GMAT in 3 months time. I feel obligated to mention that the courses I have taken in my B.Sc were relatively hard and rigorous to explain my good but not excellent average.

I will be most appreciative if you could relate to the following questions:

(1) how would you consider my chances of addmission ?

Assuming that your background includes some impressive leadership experiences, you should be a competitive at LBS. I am not familiar enough with LSE to give you a good answer about it.

(2) The LSE asks for GRE rather than GMAT. Is there any chance they would settle for the GMAT ?

It will be best to ask them directly in an e-mail.

(3) As I worked in Intel in a full time job my during my studies I had rather poor grades. After reprioritizing my goals I quit Intel and dedicated myself to my studies where I virtually started the B.Sc all over again only to conclude it in less than 3 years time. Should I mention this anywhere as a virtue of ambition and stamina ?

It is a hard question. There are advantages and disadvantages and I am not sure, based on the information I have, what is the right answer for this one.

(3) What are my propspects when the IVY League or similar is considered ?

You are a competitive candidate at leading schools in the US (the top 30 out of the ~3500 programs). More competitive in schools like Berkely, Carnegie Mellon and Austin, but also a relevant candidate for some of the leading schools, assuming that your work experience demonstrates talent and leadership.

Thanks,

You're welcome. Much luck.

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

Fawkes
    חבר

Hi Gilam,

First, may I say that it is very informative indeed to read your intake on the subject of admittance – thank you for giving your time.

I would like to ask you to elaborate a little more on the subject of the school from which a candidate graduated. I've noticed you said schools abroad do not care much for the reputation of the school in Israel – does this also extend to studying at a "Michlala" versus studying at a university? If they do care for that subject (and I'm specifically interested in the US schools' point of view), how does it come into effect? Does your GPA gets lowered if you studied not at a university?

Or to put it as a hypothetical question – two candidates which learned the same subject, have about the same application and GPA yet one graduated from University (does it matter which?) and the other from a michlala (does it matter which?) – will there be a definite preference to the former?

And last question though it might seem trivial – how do you convert the Israeli method of grades into GPA?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

Fawkes

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Fawkes from August 28 2003

Hi Gilam,

First, may I say that it is very informative indeed to read your intake on the subject of admittance – thank you for giving your time. Thanks!

I would like to ask you to elaborate a little more on the subject of the school from which a candidate graduated. I've noticed you said schools abroad do not care much for the reputation of the school in Israel – does this also extend to studying at a "Michlala" versus studying at a university? If they do care for that subject (and I'm specifically interested in the US schools' point of view), how does it come into effect? Does your GPA gets lowered if you studied not at a university?

Or to put it as a hypothetical question – two candidates which learned the same subject, have about the same application and GPA yet one graduated from University (does it matter which?) and the other from a michlala (does it matter which?) – will there be a definite preference to the former?

I do not know of a school that lowers your GPA because you went to a "michlala" in Israel, and I will be surprised if I hear that a certain school is doing this. In terms of the GPA, the focus is usually on your achievements relative to your class.

In most admission cases, if you graduated top, say, 15% of your class at Tel Aviv University and another candidate achieved the same at the "Michlala Leminhal", the application evaluator may not see much of a difference – they do not have clear "images" about Israeli schools as they have, for example, about Harvard, Stanford or Berkely. In other cases (MIT for example) there may be more of a distinction and more credit given to the Tel Aviv University candidate.

And last question though it might seem trivial – how do you convert the Israeli method of grades into GPA?

This may change slightly from one school to another. In many cases you will see a converter in the online application. You can log on to the Columbia online application to see an example.

Thanks in advance and kind regards,

You're welcome. Much luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

bujanov
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

Hi Gilam,

I'm an MD that is planing a career change and as i see it, entering an MBA program in one of the leading US schools can give me an oppertunity to do so. I'm a first year resident and my working experience during my student years was mainlly in healthcare (I've managed groups of 4-12 people). I'm looking for a school that will help me enter the biotech industry.

My questions are:

A. What are my chances? is my working experience sufficient?, do you know of other MDs in the same situation?

B. What schools major/ deal with the biotech industry?

Thanks in advance, Shay

Fawkes
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from August 29 2003

Hi Gilam!

Thank you for the prompt response. Why would MIT differ in their approach to where you went to school in Israel? Would top-10 MBA programs take the same attitude as MIT?

kind regards,

Fawkes

aringo
    חבר

In reply to bujanov from August 29 2003

Hi Gilam,

I'm an MD that is planing a career change and as i see it, entering an MBA program in one of the leading US schools can give me an oppertunity to do so. I'm a first year resident and my working experience during my student years was mainlly in healthcare (I've managed groups of 4-12 people). I'm looking for a school that will help me enter the biotech industry.

My questions are:

A. What are my chances? is my working experience sufficient?, do you know of other MDs in the same situation?

Shay, MD's who clearly state why the need an MBA and lay out a solid career plan have a pretty good case with most admission comittees. I do run into MD candidates, and I know about one Israeli MD that got into HBS. Your working experience is lower than the average full-time experience for admitted candidates in leading schools. However, your part time and military experiences might cover for that.

B. What schools major/ deal with the biotech industry?

Most b-schools have an MBA healthcare club and many have a healthcare concentration/track. In particular, you may want to look at the Rutgers pharma management program, the Duke HSM program, UNC – the last two are in the RTP (Research Triangle Park" in Raleigh-Durham, the largest planned research park in the US), Michigan (biotech focus), Cornell (historically, strong healthcare/pharma recruiting), Wharton (MBA in healthcare program, arguably the best in the country), Kellogg (healthcare-biotech major, relatively new, unique in it's focus on biotech). Other leading schools (HBS, Stanford, Berkley, Columbia, Chicago, INSEAD) often have strong ties with healthcare/pharma recruiters in their region.

Thanks in advance, Shay

You're welcome. Good luck!

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Fawkes from August 31 2003

I gave MIT as an example. Each admissions committee is different in this regard – there is no "unified strategy" for the leading schools. Sometimes the approach may differ even inside the admissions committee. It mostly depends on how much the comittee and/or the application reader knows about Israeli academic institutions and on what image they have about each institution.

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

Fawkes
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from August 31 2003

OK..thanks!

Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Hi Gilam,

I would like to get your standpoint on the following subject.

I scored a 690 on my GMAT (AWA – 5). The problem is that I took the GMAT 5 times.

(my first score was a solid 460)

I wanted to know if and how should I explain it to the admission committee, and What are my chances of acceptance to an Ivy League schools with that score and a 3.3 GPA and 5 years work experience (excluding army service).

Thanks.

danteleman2002
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 152

In reply to bujanov from August 29 2003

Shai,

I just graduated from the HSM (Health Sector Management) program at Duke and started working for Amgen.

Our program has the largest number of MD/MBA's in the country and had a tremendous success in pharma/biotech recruiting in this down time.

If you're interested in more info, don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected]

Dan

רויטל
    חבר

Hi Gilam,

I have 2 degrees in Biology from the Technion (B.Sc GPA 89.2 and M.A GPA 95). I got 660 in the GMAT and 288 in the TOFEL. I have moved to Seattle 2 years ago and have worked in Amgen (formally Immunex) as a Research Associate since then. I have no managerial experience but I hope to be promoted in the coming year. I was both a tutor and a coordinator in the PERCH project and I was the graduate representative of my department in the Graduate students’ organization. I’m interested in earning an MBA in order to change my career. As I see it now I would like to stay in the Biotech field in a business development department

What levels of schools in the U.S should I aim for?

I seriously consider university of Washington in Seattle. I know it is not one of the best but do you have any input regarding this university?

Do you have any ideas as to how should I prepare for their interview?

Thanks in advance, Revital

aringo
    חבר

In reply to danteleman2002 from September 03 2003

Dan, good luck at Amgen!

Gilam

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Undisclosed Member from August 31 2003

Hi Gilam,

I would like to get your standpoint on the following subject.

I scored a 690 on my GMAT (AWA – 5). The problem is that I took the GMAT 5 times.

(my first score was a solid 460)

I wanted to know if and how should I explain it to the admission committee, and What are my chances of acceptance to an Ivy League schools with that score and a 3.3 GPA and 5 years work experience (excluding army service).

Most schools look only at your highest GMAT score, or ask you which GMAT score you want them to look at (e.g HBS). Some schools may look at your other GMAT scores as well. After you pick your schools, give me a call and we'll see if/where there is a need to provide an explanation.

Regarding your chances – you will be a competitive candidate in leading schools if your military and work experiences demonstarte leadership potential, strong teamwork skills, inititative, and excellence at work.

Thanks.

You're welcome. Good luck.

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

In reply to רויטל from September 03 2003

Hi Gilam,

I have 2 degrees in Biology from the Technion (B.Sc GPA 89.2 and M.A GPA 95). I got 660 in the GMAT and 288 in the TOFEL. I have moved to Seattle 2 years ago and have worked in Amgen (formally Immunex) as a Research Associate since then. I have no managerial experience but I hope to be promoted in the coming year. I was both a tutor and a coordinator in the PERCH project and I was the graduate representative of my department in the Graduate students’ organization. I’m interested in earning an MBA in order to change my career. As I see it now I would like to stay in the Biotech field in a business development department

What levels of schools in the U.S should I aim for?

Revital, your background is very impressive! With a bit of managerial experience (and possibly even without it), you are a competitive candidate at top-10 schools such as MIT, Duke and Michigan. With a strong application, you will be reasonably competitive at Wharton as well.

HBS, Columbia and Stanford will be a stretch in your case, but it is worth trying at least one of them.

I seriously consider university of Washington in Seattle. I know it is not one of the best but do you have any input regarding this university?

Do you have any ideas as to how should I prepare for their interview?

I heard of this school but I am not familiar with it. Therefore, I can't give you informed advice about their interview process. You can find some initial, general advice about interview preparation at:

http://www.aringo.co.il/Interviews.htm

Thanks in advance, Revital

You're welcome. Much luck in the process.

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 51 עד 100 (מתוך 1,134 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.