Home פורומים הפורומים Forum: תהליך הקבלה סיימת סמסטר? ספר קצת!

מוצגות 21 תגובות – 1 עד 21 (מתוך 21 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • YohaiS
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

מישהו שסיים לאחרונה שנה א' יכול לספר קצת על השנה הראשונה והעבודת קייץ?

או מישהו מהבוגרים שסיים בזמן האחרון יכול לספר קצת על החוויות מהתואר ועל העבודה הראשונה?

תודה מאלה שבדרך.

ihalpert
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 93

To: YohaiS

אשמח לספר

אני לאחר שנה ראשונה בוורטון וקייץ בקבוצת הטכנולוגיה של בנק השקעות גדול

צור קשר למייל ונתאם משהוא

israel.halpert.wg07@wharton.upenn.edu

ישראל

dalit
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 556

To: All

Would be happy to share my experience, but you will have to ask more specific questions… you can't imagine how much happened during this year and the summer (tomorrow last day of internship… thank god!)
    porata
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 50

To: dalit, All, ihalpert

היי,

אחד הדברים שהיו חסרים לי באתר הזה הוא בדיוק הנושא הזה. חסרה לי הזוית הישראלית בהיבטים הבאים:

מציאת עבודה, התחברות לתרבות הזרה, הקושי בראיונות עבודה, הקושי של סטודנט בינלאומי ללא אשרה להתקבל לראיון/התמחות/משרה מלאה, העבודה עצמה (בטוח שיש מגוון שלם של משרות) בדומה לכתבות האישיות המתפרסמות בביזניס וויק…

אם תוכלו קצת לפרט על חלק מהנושאים לעיל אשמח מאוד.

תודה!

dalit
    חבר

OK… I will try… although, personally I didn't find a special Israeli angle…

Job search was done through the "official chanels" aka career services and through personal channels aka networking. some peopel are networking mahines and are rally good in small talks. I hate it. So what I did was just getting involved in all the clubs I am interested in and start organizing events. I started working closely with the compnies I am interested in and at the end the right people there know me not because I bought them a cup of something but because I showed them how I work and what I am capable of.
    today I am the point of contact in the school to some of the companies I am interested in and some of them even send me job openings to forward to career services :-)

(BTW – we are talking industry, not IB / consulting)

after attending LBS for a year, and sitting in classes with a real diverse student body (9% brits, 15% US, 57 countries ina class of 325) adjusting to a different culture was easy. I hated Switzerland but this is something completely different ;-)

Job interviews – the more you practuce the easy it gets.

no issues being international, as I said – in my class we all are.

I did a marketing project in a leading med device company. with no marketing experience. I loved the job, loved the company, hated bing out of London. and today is my last day. yeyi!
    I wrote here bfore, that one of the best things that summer job allows you is tasting a job and a comany. now I now that I love marketing but I hate working in HQ. too "clean" for me. Need more operational work, not just PPT creation…

logi
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 5

To: YohaiS

אשמח לספר על הסמסטר הקודם שלי בקלוג…. יותר מעניין אותך הצד האקדמי או הצד החברתי?

gets
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 67

To: logi

Hi logi.
    I will be intrested to know about both.
    Because Kellog considered soft skills school, I will especially appreciate if you can elaborate on more analytical classes of the program if they exist. What is the level of the accademics in general?
    Thank you in advace,
    GETS
    gbiron
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 213

To: porata

Hey porata,

I'll try and add my 2 cents here:

For reference matters, I am a recent Chicago GSB grad, currently working for Bain and Company in Chicago.

The issue you raise is a highly important one and that is why most people you talk to would recommend going to a strong brand name in the industry you are targeting post graduation (i.e. top 10 or leading school in the specific industry) think of this as your insurance in case you totally screw it up. Going to one of those schools will ultimately get you a job at the end of the program, maybe not your dream job, but at least something that will allow you to return your loans… That said, I think the thing that most Israeli's who go through this process share in common is their commitment and dedication to their career, they are much more mature and take matters in their own hands (see Dalit's example) thus you probably at the end of the day you won't need the safety net.

Finding a job is the theme most two year programs are built around, the moment you land on campus you'll be pushed to invest a lot of time at it, you'll have all the leading firms (depending on the program) come on campus to hunt down talent and recruit heavily. Of course for internationals this process is harder, no matter how good you are in small talk and cocktail parties Americans will always do it better, but you'll be amazed on how quickly you'll improve as time goes by. Remember that some of these industries are very much interested in diversity and as such being an international is a plus.

Language problems are also an issue, although most recruiters understand that you are international they will expect you to be able to present in front of clients (of course this is subject to the specific position you are seeking), that said most Israeli's that enroll to such programs have good enough English to pass interviews and usually one interview resembles the other so practice helps a lot.

Visa status is a big hurdle meaning there are a lot of firms in the US that don't hire people who aren't citizens or residents. This issue is not broadly informed by the schools and there is little you can do to change it (I know of people who went against the herd and were able to secure positions in such firms but they are rare). As far as I know this issue is similar across schools.

The culture – well as one of the small number of Israeli's in my office put it: "I miss the ability to use army slang" working in the US is totally different from my experience to date, still in the big companies the range of nationalities and ethnic scope of people is huge, so you don't feel like an outsider but part of a large pool of people.

That's my spiel for now, feel free to ask follow up questions,

gbiron

porata
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 50

To: gbiron

"…I miss the ability to use army slang…" –> you could still be able to use it with your chairman…

any ways,

could you comment on other job offers you had while at school. Do you feel that if you didnt get the Bain offer you could still be able to get an offer at your target profession, how robust was your job search? were you at the beginning of the process when you got your current job?

one more thing to all, i would personaly like to hear about the failures of the students/graduates on full time job hunts as well as internship finding exp.

thanks for your cooperation!

gbiron
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 213

To: porata

Yeah the chairman and I have coffee regularly ;)

My recruiting track was quite dull seeing as I worked with Bain over the summer and accepted their full time offer without interviewing during second year, but I can tell you from experience of my Israeli peers that most had more than one offer they were investigating.

Regarding your questions about getting an job in consulting without Bain's offer, I know of a lot of Israeli's (both in my school and at other top 10) that did not spend the summer in consulting and still landed a job there, consulting firms tend to recruit more people during the second year then for the internship so the game is not "over" during the first year.

Relating to my last message the job search at the GSB is quite robust and even if you end out missing on the opportunities during "on campus" recruiting there is still a vast network of Alumni to tap into and actually the real interesting positions are during that phase (PE firms, small companied hiring VP's etc.).

As mentioned consulting firms tend to come to campus early in the game so I was lucky to end this process quickly.

Failure is a word the American's don't know of ;) seriously speaking there are so many options out their that even if you end up doing something that wasn't your dream job (you can call that failure if you want) you still develop experience and expertise and that's what important.

Cheers,

gbiron

YFEFFER
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 35

הי,

הייתי שמח לשמוע האם אתם ממליצים למישהו שמגיע ללא רקע קודם במנהל עסקים לעשות קורסי השלמה לפני תחילת הלימודים.

אם כן, באילו תחומים? באיזו מסגרת לקחתם/אתם ממליצים לקחת?

הבנתי מכמה סטודנטים שלומדים בחו"ל שהם מצטערים שלא לקחו קורס או שניים במימון או סטטיסטיקה- גם בשביל הסיכוי לקבל פטור אך בעיקר בשביל "להשתפשף" ולהקל על הלימודים בתחומים הכמותיים האלו באונ' בחו"ל.

תודה רבה,

יוני.

epony
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 785

To: YFEFFER

YFEFFER,

עקרונית אין "פטורים" בתכניות המובילות, ובחלק מהן (Limch בטח כבר תשלוף לך את הפרטים מהאינטרנט) יש מכינות בחודש שלפני תחילת הלימודים.

ההמלצה הגורפת שחוזרת על עצמה לא מעט היא לגבי הכנה מתימטית וסטטיסטית. אני אישית חושב שהרמה לא גבוהה יותר מדי, אבל העומס בשנה הראשונה מאוד גבוה, אז כל עזרה לא תזיק.

אני לא מתיימר להיות מבין גדול (מה גם שאני בוגר כלכלה-ניהול, אז אני קצת יותר רגוע מהבחינה הזאת), אבל אם אין לך רקע מתימטי/סטטיסטי חזק (כלומר, אם אתה לא בוגר הנדסה/מדעים/ניהול/כלכלה), ויש לך זמן פנוי, קח קורסי מבוא במתימטיקה וסטטיסטיקה באוניברסיטה הפתוחה – אולי זה לא יועיל לך, אבל זה בטח לא יזיק!

IchiBan
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 216

To: YFEFFER

I would agree and add basic accounting and finance especially if you're aiming for 1-yr programs.
    epony
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 785

To: IchiBan

איצ'י, התלבטתי אם להמליץ גם לגבי קורסים בנושאי כספים, ואני בהחלט מקבל את התוספת המסוייגת שלך – אם התכנון הוא ללכת על תכנית לימודים אינטנסיבית מאוד, וכאמור יש לך זמן להשקיע בזה, אזי מומלץ בחום ללמוד קורסי מבוא במתימטיקה, סטטיסטיקה וחשבונאות (גם כלכלה ומימון לא יזיקו, אבל הם מתבססים על שלושת הראשונים, כך שלעניות דעתי הם פחות קריטיים).

YFEFFER
    חבר

תודה רבה!

לפי מה שהבנתי עצתכם היא שכדאי לשקול בחיוב לקחת קורסי מבוא במתימטיקה, סטטיסטיקה וחשבונאות (ואולי גם כלכלה ומימון) באונ' הפתוחה.

השאלה שנותרה לי היא האם כל קורס מבוא בנושאים הללו יועיל?

למדתי מבוא לסטטיסטיקה ומתמטיקה במסגרת התואר שלי (מחקר רפואי) וממה שאני זוכר (וזה לא הרבה..) אלו נושאים די רחבים. מאיפה לי לדעת שהמבוא שאני למדתי הוא אותו המבוא שסטודנטים למנהל עסקים נדרשים אליו? ייתכן שהדגשים או אולי בכלל הנושאים שהתעכבנו עליהם בזמני שונים בתכלית מאלו הנלמדים בתוכניות בחו"ל, לא כך? האם יש איזושהי דרך להתמקד יותר בעניין זה או שבכל מקרה לדעתכם "מבוא ל…" מכסה, פחות או יותר, את העסק?

לגבי חשבונאות, כלכלה, ומימון אני בכל מקרה מתכוון לקחת היות ואלו נושאים שמעולם לא נגעתי בהם.

ושוב, תודה על התשובות המחכימות!

Slovo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 96

הי יוני,

אני חושב שהתשובה מאוד משתנה בין בתי הספר, ותלויה גם באורך התוכנית. תשובה ספציפית לגבי וורטון – תלמידי השנה הראשונה מחויביים להשתתף בסמסטר הכנה (Preterm), כארבעה שבועות שנותנים הכנה מאוד טובה ב:
    – סטטיסטיקה (הקורס המתמטי ביותר ברבעון הראשון)
    – חשבונאות
    – כלכלה (נקרא MGEC – Managerial Economics)
    – מתמטיקה כללית – בעיקר נגזרות וכדומה
    – היסטוריה של עולם העסקים
    כל הקורסים אינם חובה, ויש אופציה לוותר כלל או לקחת קורס מזורז שמכין אותך לבחינות הפטור לפני הסמסטר.
    בנוסף, סמסטר ההכנה כולל גם פעילויות חברתיות במסגרת המחזור. בסיומו יש יומיים שבהם כל המחזור נוסע ליומיים מחוץ לבית ספר שמטרתם הכרת קבוצת הלימוד שלך, גיבוש כיתתי (בתוך המחזור) והתאוורות לפני התחלת הרבעון הראשון.

לסיכום, מההתרשמות שלי – לסמסטר ההכנה הקצר יש חשיבות גדולה, במיוחד לאלו שלא למדו בשנים האחרונות לא מרקע ריאלי. אין מבחנים אבל יש שיעורי בית, וללא ספק נכנסים מאוד מהר לתמונה.

אל תהסס לשאול שאלות נוספות, פה או בפורום של וורטון.

טל

YFEFFER
    חבר

To: Slovo

Thanks a lot people!
    sima
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 13

בתור אחת שלחוצה מנושא המתמטיקה – מישהו שמסיים כרגע שנה ראשונה בטופ-10 יכול לספר קצת על הרמת קושי של המתמטיקה.סטטיסטיקה?

תודה.

anatshi
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 40

To: sima

הי סימה-

אם הייתי צריכה להגדיר את רמת הקושי של המתמטיקה עצמה במונחים של הארץ – הייתי אומרת ששמדובר ברמה של 3 יחידות ועוד קצת…

לא מצפים ממך להיות גאון מתמטי, אבל כן יש דרישה להבנה לוגית וחשיבה כמותית שהיא טיפה מעבר להצבה בסיסית בנוסחאות

למי שעשה תואר ראשון שכלל קורסים כמותיים לא אמורה להיות בעיה. ישנם בתי ספר שנחשבים ליותר "כמותיים" (וורטון לדוגמא) ועדיין מתחילים את כל הקורסים ברמה בסיסית כדי ליישר קו עם כולם.

יחד עם זאת העומס הוא גדול, במיוחד בהתחלה כשיש המון נושאים חדשים, והרי אנחנו לא תמיד זוכרים את מה שלמדנו לפני 5-6 שנים… גם קצב ההתקדמות הוא מהיר יחסית

ולכן מה שהייתי ממליצה במידה ואת רוצה הכנה מוקדמת – ליצור קשר מספיק זמן לפני תחילת הלימודים עם הסטודנטים הישראלים שלומדים בבי"ס אליו תסעי ולבקש שישלחו לך את ההרצאות או את השמות של הספרים בקורסים הרלוונטים וכך תוכלי לעבור קצת על החומר לפני ולהגיע יותר מוכנה.

ענת

roulette
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

To: dalit

היי דלית,

מקווה שאת עדיין פעילה בפורום…

קראתי את הפוסט שלך מיום 7/9/06 על האהבה לשיווק אבל יותר ,פעיל, מאשר זה הקיים במשרדים הראשיים. אני עומד בפני לימודים בארה"ב ומרגיש די דומה למה שאת תיארת – משיכה לעבודת שטח בשיווק. אילו תפקידים מוצעים התואמים לתיאור שכזה?

תודה, רמי.

dalit
    חבר

ha?? can you please add a quote? I really dont remember what i wrote a year ago, and many many MANY things changed during this year.
מוצגות 21 תגובות – 1 עד 21 (מתוך 21 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.