Home פורומים Admissions Chat system forum Ask Avital: INSEAD

מוצגות 29 תגובות – 1 עד 29 (מתוך 29 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • mb108
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 19

אביטל אליאסוב מסיים בקרוב את ה-MBA ב-INSEAD וישמח לענות על שאלות בנושא אופי התוכנית, תהליך הקבלה לתוכנית ואפשרויות לעתיד.

INSEAD מדורג כיום ראשון מבין בתי הספר למנהל עסקים באירופה.

לאחר סיום לימודיו באוניברסיטת תל אביב (משפטים וחשבונאות) הצטרף אביטל למשרד עורכי דין מוביל בישראל. במשך שלוש שנים, הוא התמחה שם בניירות ערך, משפט מסחרי, מיזוגים ורכישות, ומשם המשיך לאינסאד.

IchiBan
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 216

In reply to AmitR from January 11 2004 on 12:03

Avital shalom,

Thank you for doing this! There is little reliable info on Euro-schools out there, compared to the encyclopaedia of US-MBA. So this is really meeting a need.

I'm aiming for INSEAD (Sep. '05), and am relatively well-informed (know many alumni, visited FBL) with very good stats and a compelling story, but have two small doubts:

1. For someone interested in a position in corporate or marketing strategy in traditional industry in Europe, is INSEAD-FBL still the wisest choice in your opinion? Besides the fact that the campus is a bit far off from the main centers so actively looking for jobs may be a logistical pain in the neck – compared to, say, LBS – its stats show a dependancy on IB, MC recruiters, and I have heard several alumni criticizing its placement office for performance in industry. Of course there is not an abundance of top-quality schools in Europe, but might one of this handful of schools be better at this than INSEAD?

2. Going to another campus for a trimester seems like a great option and selling point, but how harmful might that be – if at all – to recruitment? Basically one is away from the job market for 4 months, e-mail communication aside.

Many thanks,

IchiBan

Avital
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

In reply to IchiBan from January 11 2004 on 16:06

Hi IchiBan,

First of all, let me say that is my pleasure to try to help you guys in the process. I was in your position not so long ago and understand (some) of your dilemmas and worries. However, no matter what I say, you must understand it is my opinion and doesn't necessarily apply to all people. Hence, researching schools thoroughly and speaking to many people, which you have apparently, done are critical and will help you make the right choice.

Regarding your specific question concerning INSEAD and a position in corporate or marketing strategy in traditional industry in Europe: INSEAD has been putting a lot of emphasis recently on strengthening ties with Industrial companies as recruitment from IB and consulting went down. This has led to an increase in recruitment for this sector and this trend should continue in the outgoing December promotion. Is it the best place? Depends – if you know exactly which company you want to go to and in which country in Europe – then see where they are recruiting? However if you don't know then recruiting wise to the best of my knowledge INSEAD competes favorably with other leading European schools in this respect. (Disclaimer: I did not research other European B-schools). Yes, the campus is not in the center of a city, which does create difficulties in independent job search, but, most of the big companies come to recruit on campus and the setting allows for an amazing experience.
    Regarding campus exchange – it is really up to you. You start in France or Singapore and stay there for 2 periods (4 months) and then have the option to exchange to the other campus for 1 period or more. We also have an exchange program with Wharton allowing you to go there for 1 period (2 months). If you want to work in Europe I think it would be advisable to be in Fontainebleau during P3-P5 when the recruitment process is at its peak. Likewise, Singapore if you want to work in SE Asia. However, with the videoconference call capabilities and access in all of these campuses it is not necessary to be in Europe to interview with European firms and vice-versa. The added advantage of the campus exchange is not necessarily in the job advantages due to the global reach, but rather in the quality of experience of your MBA. (Disclaimer: I decided not to exchange campus for two main reasons: 1. I am really enjoying it here in FBL; and 2. It would cost me more (double rent, car….)).

Please feel free to send more questions.

Cheers,
    Avital

IchiBan
    חבר

In reply to Avital from January 12 2004 on 16:14

Great answer – Thanks!

IchiBan
    חבר

Not a very popular thread huh?

Improves the chances…

omri
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 66

Hi Avital.,

I jsut wantedto ask you about te employment opportunities after the MBA.some say INSEAD does not have a goof recreuit,ent office + its efforts are much below that of US schools. Is that true?

Do most Israelis find a job outside of Israel?

THanks,

Omer

avital_eliasov
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 7

In reply to omri from January 25 2004 on 23:43

Hi Omer,

Compared to other European B-Schools, INSEAD grads have consistently had the best work prospects following their MBA studies, especially if your aim is Europe or Asia. These stats compare favorably with the to US B-schools despite being only 1 year. However, if your aim is the US (which does not seem to be the case) then you are probably better off going to a top US B-school.

Having said that, due to recent economic conditions, it hasn’t been easy in past years for Israelis to find work in Europe following their studies, although those who really tried succeeded.

Regarding INSEAD CMS – it has had to reshape its activities to adapt to the declining economic climate. Last year they brought in a new head and are improving. I work with CMS closely as my section’s Rep. They still have room for improvement, but are doing a better job.

Cheers,

Avital

omri
    חבר

Hi Avital

thnx for the info. is it difficult to get a job w/o a work permit? Also what are the chances for financial aid – shcoalrships or non-guaranteed loans?

thnx

Omer

Avital
    חבר

Hi Omer,
    I think that the difficulty depends on the general job situation. However, I would argue that it would be easier today to find a job in Europe than in the US with the new regulations there.

Financial Aid – in recent years getting an ABN Amro loan was not easy for Israelis, however I have recently heard that CitiGroup will be replacing ABN Amro – so that should make things easier.
    Israelis can get quite reasonable loans to cover tuition payments through the Israeli INSEAD Alumni Association (and most do). Maintenance loans are not available.

Scholarship – about 14% of the promotion get financial aid. Out of the Israelis in my promotion 2/6 received aid ranging between 3,000 – 6,000 Euro.

Hope this helps.

FYI – FT global MBA rankings were published today – see link below

http://rankings.ft.com/rankings/mba/rankings.html

Cheers,

Avital

omri
    חבר

Hi,

This really helps but a couple of more questions ifI may.

You mentioned regulations in the US – do u mean the decrease in H-1 visas?

Also: is it true that INSEAD has a limit to under 35 candidates?

What the tuition for next year?

Thanks a ot, you are really a bit help!

Omer

Avital
    חבר

Hi,

Regarding the regulations in the US I am no expert, though when I was in your position there were a lot of articles on the the decrease in the visas and the impact that would have on finding a job there. Ask Gilam or Assaf Wand, they may have more exact information.

In general I think there is an under 35 limit, although exceptions have been known to happen. I think this will be strengthened by the fact that INSEAD has just started its EMBA program.

Regarding tuition, I believe it is going up again which is bad news, however INSEAD is still much cheaper than any of the 2 year programs (tuition costs, living expenses and forgone salary).

Cheers,

Avital

omri
    חבר

Hi Avital

It's me again. I am debating between INSEAD, I have some freinds who went there, and US Schools.

I was wondering if YOU had the same thoughts or can contirbute to my thinking.

The main issue is that I want to work for a few years abroad, gain some exp. at a multi-national/ global company, hence the recruitment/ job issue after the MBA is critical. Nothing is 100% and this is not the only reason I want an MBA but still it is an important concern.

Thanks

om.

Avital
    חבר

In reply to omri from January 31 2004 on 10:29

Hi again,

I totally understand your concerns as I was in the same situation not so long ago. I really think that things are getting better and will continue to gradually do so, barring exceptional events, hence things will look better for you.

Regarding top US Business Schools VS. INSEAD, it is trully dependent on your preferences. For me atmosphere, cost, length of program and Europe(I hold an EU passport) were important so INSEAD was the obvious choice. In terms of cost INSEAD is still by far the cheapest top B-School due to the length of the program, however the length of the program can be considered a disadvantage in a poor economical climate.

Cheers,

Avital

mbaq
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 45

האם מישהו נרשם לקלוג בסיבוב השני? האם קיבלתם זימון לראיונות או כל הודעה אחרת?

dz108
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 52

In reply to mbaq from February 03 2004 on 09:59

First of all: yes.

Secondly, why did you write in the INSEAD thread?… it's time to start a real R2 thread… :-)

IchiBan
    חבר

In reply to Avital from February 02 2004 on 18:59

Avital hi,

How hard is it for a non-EU spouse to find a job to cover part of the extra expenses? As you mentioned, tuition has gone up, and the Euro has skyrocketed, so the difference between INSEAD and US schools is getting smaller, while some 1-yr UK schools (inferior to INSEAD, no doubt), start to seem like viable alternatives.

Thanks,

Ichiban

Avital
    חבר

In reply to IchiBan from February 21 2004 on 16:39

Hi,

It really depends what she does, but I don’t really know the administrative issues with regard to that (my wife has an EU passport).

The rising tuition and Euro appreciation (compared to the $) have indeed made the difference in tuition compared to US schools smaller. Still INSEAD is much cheaper than top US schools if you take into account the 2 year living expenses, foregone salary …

Regarding the British 1 yr programs – I do not know of any 1 yr MBA there – so can’t comment. One comment though – cost is really important (at least for me it was), however you have to balance it with the program you are attending and the benefits you want to get from your MBA.

Cheers,

Avital

Avital hi,

How hard is it for a non-EU spouse to find a job to cover part of the extra expenses? As you mentioned, tuition has gone up, and the Euro has skyrocketed, so the difference between INSEAD and US schools is getting smaller, while some 1-yr UK schools (inferior to INSEAD, no doubt), start to seem like viable alternatives.

Thanks,

Ichiban

אלמוני
    לא פעיל
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

In reply to Avital from February 21 2004 on 17:57

Avital,

I was wondering if you could help me. I shall be in Fontainebleau for the summer ball the last week of May, and me and few friends from my promo are looking for a 4-5 bedroom house to rent for the week.

In case such an house is advertised on the bulletin board, I would appreciate if you could just post the contact details, and I'll take it from there.

Many thanks

Avital
    חבר

To: All

Hi,

Send me your email address and I will contact you to see how I can help out.

Cheers,

Avital

Falcon
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 3

Hi everyone

Name's Roy and I got accepted to INSEAD campus in Singapore

Good luck to anyone still waiting for an answer

Roy Falk

[email protected]

guyindig
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 4

To: Avital

Dear Avital

Thanks for the good info.

Do you happen to know what is the policy of INSEAD towards MBA graduates from other universities trying to enter their MBA program (as a second MBA)?

What is the impact of a previous MBA on the chances to enter INSEAD?

Another small question – what is the weight INSEAD givs to a first degree of an applicant (assuming he has gained substantial amount of working experience afterwards)?

Thanks a lot,

Guy

Avital
    חבר

To: guyindig

Hi Guy,

Please see answers below (in blue)

Dear Avital

Thanks for the good info. You are very welcome

Do you happen to know what is the policy of INSEAD towards MBA graduates from other universities trying to enter their MBA program (as a second MBA)?

I am afraid I have no special knowledge regarding this.

What is the impact of a previous MBA on the chances to enter INSEAD?

Same as above

Another small question – what is the weight INSEAD givs to a first degree of an applicant (assuming he has gained substantial amount of working experience afterwards)?

To the best of my knowledge, INSEAD looks at previous academic achievements as an indication of future ones However, I believe that if you have extensive work experience and a good GMAT you could overcome the grades issue.

Thanks a lot,

Guy

I suggest you contact the admissions office with regard to the first question and write a compelling story. You could even use the bad grades (if that is your case) as a failure story and highlight what you have learned and why they don't represent your academic abilities.

Cheers,

Avital

נדב
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

Hi Avital,

My name in Nadav and I just got accepted to the INSEAD program starting September '04.

Although my preference was France I was told that there were no more seats available and that I have the opputunity to start in the Singapore campus. I am aware of the campus exchange option in periods 3/4/5 and I already spoke to a guy that is currently studying in INSEAD and visited both campuses. Frankly, Singapore does sound quite fascinating.

I would like your help you to contact any other Israeli student's that have been accepted to Singapore (if you know of any) .

Furthermore, any information regarding scholarships and grants that are directed to Singapore/jewish/Israeli students will be a big help as well (Apart from the ones on the school's website)

Thank you so much

Nadav Perry

066-200037

Avital
    חבר

Hi Nadav,

I know there has been at least one other Israeli accepted to Singapore at the same date. You will be able to find his details on Netvestibule, which you should have your login details to soon.

The INSEAD Israeli Alumni Association (details on the school's website in the financing section) helps to get tuition loan's from Israeli banks at reasonable terms – apart from that I don't know of any other financing source other than those that appear on the website.

I think Singapore is has been a great experience for those who spent time there (I didn't), though if you plan to work in Europe after INSEAD I would suggest coming to FBL in P3, despite the great weather conditions in Singapore.

Cheers,

Avital

mba2299
    חבר

To: Avital, All

Could anyone please discuss the post-MBA recruitment-employment experience of recent Israeli INSEAD graduates? Would anyone share his/her own experience, or leave his/her contacts herein, to be contacted off-line?

I keep hearing horror stories about new MBAs returning to Israel, jobless, eventually taking positions in Israel that they would not have considered even before their MBA…

Avital
    חבר

Hi,

Things were quite tough in the previous 1.5 years, but have really picked up for my promotion (graduating in July). Of the Israelis graduating with me, at least 67% already have one offer or more in Europe an the US and we are still in the middle of the recruiting season.

Personally, I am currently in the fortunate position of having to choose between offers from the top 3 consulting firms (all in their London offices) and an Industry offer in the UK.

Cheers,

Avital

mba2299
    חבר

Thanks, Avital!

If I may ask, were these offers a product of your personal promotion, or did they come through the CMS, CMS referrals, etc.?

Did you have any industry/international experience prior to INSEAD?

Avital
    חבר

Hi,

All the consultant offers were through OCR (on-campus-recruitment) which is organized by CMS. The industry offer was through off-campus contacts.

As you will see in the first post in this thread, I was a lawyer in Israel before coming here. I did spend a few months in Paris before INSEAD with the company that made me the industry offer, but other than that I have no international work experience.

I do hold an EU passport, but the others with offers in the US and Europe, have not found that to be a major issue.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Avital

mba2299
    חבר

All,

Are there any recent INSEAD graduates out there who would like to share their post-MBA experience, with emphasis on their post-MBA employment searches?

If you would prefer it, please leave your contacts, to be contacted off-line.

Thanks in advance.

מוצגות 29 תגובות – 1 עד 29 (מתוך 29 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.