Home פורומים Admissions Chat aringo Chat Carnegie Mellon MBA Chat

מוצגות 28 תגובות – 1 עד 28 (מתוך 28 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • mb108
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 19

Reminder: you need to click "refresh" every few minutes to view the chat and it's progress.

This is your opportunity to demonstrate your interest in the school! (and, yes, you can mention your participation in the essays).

Online MBA Chat with Ms. Laurie Stewart, Executive Director of Masters Admissions, Carnegie Mellon University, and with Ms. Eynat Ganor Mor, a recent graduate of the MBA program.

Time: Tuesday, December 9, at 19:00 Israel time.

Host: Gilam Levi of aringo.co.il

a little information about our school:

The Carnegie Mellon Graduate School of Industrial Administration, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, consistently ranks among the top business schools in the world, including its latest ranking as #6 in the world in 2003 by the Wall Street Journal.

As one of the most technologically elite universities in the world, the dedication to cutting edge learning and application underlies everything that is done in the school – with an approach to business management that allows students to make a significant impact through analytical decision making.

Eynat
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 11

Hello Gilam and Laurie,

Gilam – aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 60

Welcome all to the Carnegie Mellon Chat.

I particularly want to welcome:

Ms. Laurie Stewart, Executive Director of Masters Admissions, Carnegie Mellon University,

and

Ms. Eynat Ganor-Mor, a recent graduate of the MBA program.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Thank you all for joining us today. This is your chance to ask questions about Carnegie Mellon's program, admissions policies, career opportunities, and student life.

Laurie-CMU
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 12

Hi Everyone–

Thank you for inviting us. It is nice to be here!

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Please remember to click "REFRESH CHAT" (or press "F5" or refresh every few seconds), to see new posts.

Chat rules reminder:

1. Each forum member may post up to 50 messages and replies per chat. You may refer a question to any of the participants and may reply to their answers.

2. Posts are screened and are uploaded gradually. Therefore, you may see your post only after a while.

3. Preference is given to questions that use the member name over questions that are posted under "undisclosed member".

4. You may call the admission committee members by their first name (some people asked about this).

5. The chat is in English and lasts up to 60 minutes.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Let me kick off our discussion with a first question:

Laurie and Eynat, it is great to have you here this evening (or, should I say "afternoon"). Any significant change that you can share with us regarding Carnegie Mellon's MBA admission policies this year?

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

Our admission policies are essentially unchanged. We have been working on updating our online process and features to make applying more convenient for candidates. For example, we've recently launched an 'MBA Online Community' for prospective Carnegie Mellon MBA students. You can find it here http://web.gsia.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142600

We're also launching online recommendations in the next couple of weeks. Our applications deadlines have changed a little. We developed a new MBA brochure that features our new depth 'Tracks'.

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

You can use this link to request a brochure

http://inq.applyyourself.com/?id=cmu-mba&pid=586

or this one to download a copy (PDF)

http://web.gsia.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142568

omtrip2003
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

What is the weight of pre graduation experience versus post graduation experience?

I for example served in the IDF for 6 years but have only one year of post graduation experience.

How do you regard work experience gained parallel to the firs degree?

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

In reply to omtrip2003 from December 09 2003

Hi omtrip,

We actually ask candidates to disclose all of their experience since high school and we consider everything when evaluating a candidate for admission. Some candidates have very meaningful experiences before completing their undergraduate degrees. Paths vary–but we're looking for people that have 'made a difference' in the positions they have held–contributors. People who have had a chance to hone their teamwork and leadership experiences, as well as refine their goals for the future.

Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Laurie and Eynat, how are recruiting going now for international students who do not have a long term visa? thank you.

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

Overall, our recruiting picture is showing some very positive trends. Our placement director recently reported that our graduating students have received about double the number of offers compared to the same time last year. You can find details here

http://web.gsia.cmu.edu/default.aspx?id=142616

It is also true that our domestic and international students fared equally well in last year's recruiting season. However, some companies that recruit on campus limit their recruiting to those that have citizenship or residency, which means that international students seeking job opportunities in the US need to put more effort into their searches. This means working through our alumni network, their personal networks, etc.

Eynat
    חבר

In reply to Undisclosed Member from December 09 2003

as I am sure you know, recruiting has been difficult in the past few years for all students, international and not. it is true that international students might need to work harder in their job search in order to find a job since some companies will not recruit internationals as a policy. BUT, i must tell you that out of my class (i graduated in 2003) i have not seen that internationals have less jobs that non-internationals. most of my international friends have jobs in the US. also, note that some companies are looking to increase their diversity, especially in such a market, and therefore looking to increase recruiting of internationals.

Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Laurie adn Eynat, Thank you for your time. Does the CMU offer any scholarships for international students?

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

Yes we do. We consider all admitted MBA students for scholarship–both US and international. Our top scholarship, the 'Dean's Scholarship' was awarded to 17 (out of 236) of our first year students this year. Dean's Scholars are selected by our Dean and receive a full tuition waiver to join the MBA program. All scholarships are awarded based on merit–using the information included in the MBA application.

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

To add on the previous message. Some of our Dean's Scholars are international students–including one from Israel this year.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Laurie and Eynat, any advice for people who are now in the process of writing their essays?

Eynat
    חבר

Laurie, can you also ellaborate on the other possible scholarships? and also the other forms of financial aid

Eynat
    חבר

In reply to Gilam – aringo from December 09 2003

my advice is to take the time and learn as much as you can about the school. that will help you formualte a clear message of why you want to go to Carnegie Mellon (how CMU specifically, fits your career goals) and why do you think you will fit in (how your background will contribute to the student body). Carnegie Mellon has some unique features that make it different from other schools, learn about them and leverage that in your application.

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

Sure Eynat. In addition to the Dean's Scholarship, all candidates are considered for school-sponsored merit scholarships. These can range up to approximately half of annual tuition. The largest scholarships go to the strongest admitted students each year. In addition to scholarships, US Citizens and permanent residents may qualify for US subsidized loan programs and there are other loans that international students may qualify for with a US citizen cosigner. The university also offers a payment plan that can help students spread out their educational costs over time. Some of our students, mostly international students, are sponsored by their company.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

We have to wrap up soon… any more questions?

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

Thanks everyone for joining–Gilam thank you for hosting us. I invite everyone to visit our website at http://www.cmu.edu/mba or send email to me at [email protected] Good luck with your MBA aspirations!

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Laurie and Eynat – thank you so much for taking the time answering the questions from this side of the globe… you have done a wonderful job!

In the name of the Israeli International MBA Association, aringo, and all Israeli applicants, thank you.

Gilam

Eynat
    חבר

I would like to add something. those of you who have researched a little about the school probably already know that Carnegie Mellon has features that are very appealing to Israeli students, since many of us come from the High tech industry in Israel.

as part of one of the most technological universities in the world, the school puts an emphasis on innovation and technology. it shows in all areas: from our facilities (wireless throughout the university) to the focus on quantitative and analytical approach of doing business and the type of companies that come to recruit on campus (recruiters consider our students as technology savvy people who can get the job done).

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

Thanks very much, Eynat

Eynat
    חבר

thank you for administering this, we were happy to be here,

i would be happy to answer any more questions about the school at [email protected]

Laurie-CMU
    חבר

thanks Gilam–bye now

מוצגות 28 תגובות – 1 עד 28 (מתוך 28 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.