מוצגות 50 תגובות – 1 עד 50 (מתוך 88 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • danteleman2002
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 152

I'm trying to find out who got accepted to Fuqua at the first round.

Myself and a few current students are going to be in Israel in the next few weeks and we thought about having a welcome dinner to those who were accepted.

If you are interested, pleae send me an email with the best date and time.

Danny

mb108
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 19

אם יש למישהו שאלות בנושא MBA ב- Duke ואפשרויות קריירה למנהלים בתחום הביוטכנולוגיה דן טלמן, בוגר תוכנית ה-MBA של Duke, ישמח לענות.

לדן תואר ראשון ושני מאוניברסיטת בן גוריון בהנדסה כימית וביוטכנולוגיה. הוא שירת בצה"ל במשך 7 שנים כקצין באחת היחידות הטכנולוגיות המרכזיות. אח"כ נסע ל-Duke, שם סיים לפני מספר חודשים את תואר ה-MBA, עם התמחות בניהול בתחום ה-healthcare. דן מכהן כעת כמנהל מוצר ב-Amgen, חברת הביוטכנולוגיה הגדולה בעולם.

dalit
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 556

הי דן,

תודה על הנכונות לענות על שאלות.

האם לדעתך ניתן לשלב את תחום השיווק ותחום ה- HEALTHCARE?

האם תחום ה-HEALTHCARE מכוון רק לתעשיה הפרמצבטית או גם לתחומים נוספים כמו – ניהול בתי חולים לצורך העניין?

בנוסף, הייתי רוצה לדעת במה אתה רואה את הייחוד של בית הספר, ומה כבוגר אתה רואה כחסרונות שלו.

תודה.

danteleman2002
    חבר

In reply to dalit from December 16 2003 on 14:36

Hi Dalit,

First, you had asked me about combining marketing and health care and the answer is definitely. Like any other field, health care is driven by consumers. You could think of consumers as being patients, doctors, etc.

The point is that whenever you have consumers, you have marketing.

Since health care is a large industry you would have different types of marketing as pharmaceutical marketing is different from hospital marekting and different from insurance marketing, which are the three main components of the industry.

In regards to Fuqua. I liked the people – we try to bring in very down to earth people. People that could blend in evert type of environemnt and culture. People that really love to have fun.

I liked the fact that the program is not too big and you have a chance to get to know everyone, at least on a first name basis.

Very flexible program without a formal concentration (except for healthcare). The school doesn't produce only finance people or marketing people, but a blend of everything.

I loved North Carolina. It's not the place I would want to spend my life in, but for two years it's a great place. Beautiful and quiet, very relaxing without the addes stress of a big city. Gives you that chance to experience the "real america".

Things I didn't like: terms of 6 weeks could be very stressful and you sometime feel like you haven't really learnd the material.

Great brand name in the US and Europe, but less known in Israel.

Has the perception of being a marketing school.

Hope this helps,

Danny

danteleman2002
    חבר

In reply to eshinar from December 16 2003 on 16:13

I think that having a science background is definitely a plus when looking for a job in the biotech industry.

In the last few years, when the economy was slow, pahrma / biotech companies were hiring mostly pople with this background.

However, it is not mandatory. Many people I know from Fuqua got hired without it, especially for large pharmaceutical companies (like Pfizer) where the emaphasis is more on marketing skills than sceince knowledge.

As the economy picks up this industry is about to hire more people, the science background is going to be a plus, but not a prerequisite.

Danny

dalit
    חבר

In reply to danteleman2002 from December 17 2003 on 12:02

Thanks, you made some good points…

your answer helped me understand that Duke is top on my priorities list, but I am trying to figuer out whether my spouse will have what to do there (relaxing for 2 years is a little bit too much to ask). He will try to find a job in the Hitech industry.

I have heard that Duke's area is becoming the new "Silicon Valley". Do you agree with this?

danteleman2002
    חבר

In reply to dalit from December 17 2003 on 20:53

Dalit,

First, I'm happy I was able to put Fuqua on your list of top places.

The Research Triangle Park (RTP), which is located between Durham and Raleigh, is quickly becoming a very large high tech area as well as biotech.

It attracts people from all over the country because of the number of strat ups, VC companies and academic institutions. It hosts big companies such as IBM, SAS, NORTEL, etc and even some Israeli companies.

Someone with experience shouldn't have a problem finding a job assuming he has the right paperwork, i.e. work authorization / greencard.

Danny

dalit
    חבר

In reply to danteleman2002 from December 18 2003 on 10:30

That sounds good, though the work authorization is quite an issue… but I hope will manage.

thanks,

dalit

omri
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 66

היי דן,

אני מעוניין בפידבק שלך:

יש מקום להגיש למועד ה 3 ב 20.1.03

פשוט עשיתי את ה GMAT שוב (730) ולכן לא הספקתי לדצמבר

האם יש טעם בכך ? אני מגיש ל 5 בי"ס לא כולל duke

כאשר אני מודה ש HBS ו STANFORD הם מבחינתי בעדיפות גבוהה יותר אבל לאחר מכן זה דיוק,

מה דעתך?

תודה

עומר

danteleman2002
    חבר

In reply to omri from December 28 2003 on 11:47

Omer,

Round 3 is still a valid option. However, if you're not really intersted, that don't waist your time.

HBS / Stanford are great schools, but are very different than Fuqua. I would think very carefully about what kind of school / experience you're really looking for.

Good luck,

Danny

dz108
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 52

In reply to omri from December 28 2003 on 11:47

you're applying to H and S at 3rd round?

omri
    חבר

Hi Dan

Tanks a lot for the quick reply. I am applying to hbs – because it is a great schol and because everyone I talked to said it is worth the try. Stanford – because I come form hi tech + my wife could maybe find a job there.

If I do not get in Duke would be my choice, however as I said, people here discourage everyone from applying in the 3rd round regardless of the actual date (hbs 3rd round is in March, duke's in January -) they say it makes no difference as long as it is the third round.

btw – does the ad com look at the 3rd rond people BEFORE they send out acceptance letters to the 2nd round people?

At any rate, thanks for all your input on this board, very helpful + you are doig a great service for everyone else who goes there!

btw – was it diff. findg a job + securing visa after u graduated?

omer

IchiBan
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 216

In reply to omri from December 29 2003 on 00:35

Omri,

People do get accepted in late rounds, you know… isn't it worth a shot if you're already in the schwung of things?

dz108
    חבר

HBS state in their web site that they discourage International applicants from applying in R3

omri
    חבר

Hi Guys,

no, I applying to h, S, and w – next week, round 3. However, because duke had the R2 in Dec. I did not make it, this is why i thought about aplying in R 3 on 1/20 – was not sure if it is worth it?

tnx

dz108
    חבר

In reply to omri from December 29 2003 on 23:49

You apply next week, meaning – you apply R2 @ H/ S….

omri
    חבר

Yeap. THing is I am not leaving much room for error and since these (h, s, w) are tough schools to get into I thought of submitting to Duke

1. because I was really impresed with that school and would not be sorry for a second if I went there

2. safety, I admit I would rather go to H or S

3. I prefer it over Cornel which has a R2 deadline on 15/1

4.Do u think with the app # down this year, more admitw will occur on R3 at places such as Duke (darden berkeley too)?

thnx

dz108
    חבר

In reply to omri from December 30 2003 on 11:19

I only researched(and visited) the schools I'm applying to (H/K/M), and I know that the reason R3 is bad is because you will not have enough time to arrange visa and financial aid before the start of the program. I do not know enough about Cornell, Stanford or Duke.

IMHO, having the number of applicatns down this year cannot help us, bacuase us Israelis are compared to one another, and although they don't admit of having a qouta (lots of debats were made over the matter) – they will not admit too many of us, and we are still in (very) strong competition between ourselves.

I don't want to discourage you in any way (!!!), although we're both sumitting R2… but just out of curiousity (you said you're tight on time…) how long are working on your H application? because I know Stanford is a longggg application, and working on both in parallel seems a bit scary….

what's your general profile? (age, ys of w/e, area of previous degrees).

Good luck to us all.

MBA applicant
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 36

In reply to omri from December 30 2003 on 11:19

I am learning the hard way that it's very hard to get in this schools. (after no interview in S/H, and hearing about very strong candidates who got rejected or waitlisted in W). R2 is even harder – I decided to apply to other schools then I initally thought – I think that if you really want to get in, you should apply to more schools, just in case. My sense is that after doing H/S/K, you pretty much can do any school within a weekend effort

dz108
    חבר

In reply to MBA applicant from December 30 2003 on 12:46

I understand what you mean, I originaly planned to apply to more than three schools, but I will not have enough time to complete more applications to top tier schools, I started W, but abandoned it.

Besides, these shcools have programs that I want to get into, I don't want to get just to any school becuase I know it's top tier. Although I invetsted allot into it (two years of research and months of writing), b-schools are not the only thing in my life ;-)

danteleman2002
    חבר

Omer,

Sorry for the late reply. I was in Europe for a week.

I still believe that round 3 is feasible for Fuqua. You do what you think is best.

I would encourage you to learn more about Fuqua and the research triangle park. You'll find out for example that it is the 3rd largest high tech area in the US and the one which is growing the fastest.

The job search was hard, but manageble. I was very focused on the industry I wanted and have worked hard during the two years to build the right experience.

Good luck,

omri
    חבר

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the alte response. I was busy with my H app. I am now beginning to work on Duke so I will be in touch

Thanks a lot for your great help on these boards.

Omer

msarfaty
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 69

In reply to dalit from December 18 2003 on 10:38

Dalit,

On top of what I wrote to you in the mail, I think you should be aware of how important the work permit is. Hi-tech companies are not Moishe's HOVALOT – if your partner won't have the right Visa or greencard, they will not hire him. Check the visa link I sent you and even call the embassy.

The work permit issue is a problem to many MBAs, too. There are many companies that don't hire internationals.

Moshe.

dalit
    חבר

In reply to msarfaty from January 20 2004 on 13:27

I know, thanks…

omri
    חבר

Dear Dan,

I wanted to ask you about Fuqua interviews: Are there ones conducted in Israel in the event the one does not travel to NC , is it done by phone.

Does an interview appointment indicate anything interms of my application 9as it would with Wharton) or is it totaly standard in R3?

thnx

Omer

danteleman2002
    חבר

In reply to omri from January 30 2004 on 20:47

Omer,

Fuqua interviews are not mandatory, but highly recommended. That means that an interview invitation for itself does not imply anything about your application. All decisions are mailed out on the same day.

You can interview in Israel with an alum currently living in Israel.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Dan

omri
    חבר

Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot!

I heard Fuqua increased its class size recently. Do you have specific numbers?

Thanks

Omer

danteleman2002
    חבר

In reply to omri from February 01 2004 on 10:13

Omer,

It's a gradual process that has started this year and will continue next year as well.

This year they increased the class size by about 60-70 people and Fuqua has the same number for next year. Thy final goal is to get to a class size of 450-500 students.

dalit
    חבר

To: danteleman2002

Hi Dan,

do you know of any other schools that are good in healthcare mng. besides Duke?

danteleman2002
    חבר

To: dalit

Wharton and Kellogg

shrem2
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

To: danteleman2002, mb108, dalit, eshinar, omri, dz108, IchiBan, MBA applicant, msarfaty

does someone know which MBA schools have a Post MBA program?

danteleman2002
    חבר

To: shrem2

What do you mean by post – MBA?

You can opt for a PhD, but I'm not sure this is what you're interested in.

All the schools offer short courses for execuitves on a wide range of topics including healthcare management.

ebty
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

שלום,

אני מגיעה בתחילת אוגוסט לחודש לימודים ב duke

במסגרת מילגה ייחודית שקיבלתי. אשמח להיות בקשר עם ישראלים שיהיו שם

תודה

danteleman2002
    חבר

To: ebty

I already graduated from Duke.

I'm not sure which school at Duke you'll be attending, but if you'd like to meet people from the business school send me an email off line.

ebty
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

Dan Thanks for you replay, I will be in the business school.

How can i send you E-Mail, i don't see your address.

Ebty

danteleman2002
    חבר
    galit30
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

To: ebty

Hello

We live in Durham and are affiliated with Duke and have many israeli friends here. We would love to help.

Email us at [email protected]

see you

Galit

dalit
    חבר

Hi,

Do you know where can i find last year's recommendation questions for Fuqua? (I assume this year's question will be published only in August).

Thanks

danteleman2002
    חבר

Hi Dalit,

The recommendation is pretty much a free format. There is no particular structure.

Make sure it contains information about your professional and leadership skills as well as your interpersonal skills. The more information, the better.

Danny

dalit
    חבר

10x

kassifo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 201

Last year's questions were:

• How long have you known the applicant and in what capacity? (1200 characters)
    • What are the applicant's top 2 talents or strengths? (3200 characters)
    • Describe the applicant's areas requiring improvement or growth and how would you describe his insight into them? (3200 characters)
    • Describe the applicant's leadership skills? (2800 characters)
    • Describe the applicant's interpersonal skills? (3200 characters)
    • Describe the applicant's verbal and written English ability? (300 characters)

dalit
    חבר

To: kassifo

Thank you too…

msarfaty
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 69

Dalit,

I think the characters limit is only relevant when sending the recommendation on-line. My letters were regular (printed on paper) and judging by the number of pages, it way-exceeded the limit kassifo mentioned.

One more important thing though: ask whoever is writing the recommendation to give specific examples when writing all the superlatives, so it wouldn't be just empty statements.

dalit
    חבר

To: msarfaty

Thanks moshe,

did you decide where are you going to study next year?

danteleman2002
    חבר

To: All

Invitation to Duke – Fuqua School of Business presentation in Israel

The Fuqua School of Business would like to invite you to attend a reception and presentaion on Monday 27/9, 7:00 pm, at the Carlton hotel in Tel Aviv.

The presentation is a great, informal opportunity to learn more about the school, application process, curriculum and life in Durham. A large part of the event would be dedicated to Q&A.

Please RSVP to Danny Teleman at [email protected]

Looking forward to seeing many of you,

Danny

rash733
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 274

זו התוכנית החדשה של DUKE

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/sep2008/bs20080914_756410.htm?link_position=link1

נציג הקבלה דיבר עליה בכנס של פולברייט

אני מניח שהרעיון הוא טוב אבל יצטרך לצבור זמן הרצה בכדי ליצור קשרים עם מעסיקים מקומיים

חלק מהמקומות נראים קצת בעייתיים לישראלי הממוצע

כמו כן נראה שעדיף היה לנסות קודם כל באתר אחד יחסית בטוח כמו לונדון ולהפיק לקחים…

אבל מה אני יודע אני בסך הכל מועמד ולא בוגר

RoiN
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 9

The Duke MBA will be visiting Tel Aviv this week, and again on December 30.
    We will be hosting an information session in Tel Aviv on December 4. This event will be held at the offices of the Fulbright Program at the US – Israel Educational Foundation (USIEF), located at 1 Ben-Yehuda Street, 10th Floor, Tel Aviv. Prospective students interested in attending may register on The Duke MBA Web site by clicking on the date listed above, or by contacting USIEF through its Web site at http://www.fulbright.org.il. Information sessions offer the opportunity to learn more about our program through a presentation on The Duke MBA followed by an open forum with admissions representatives and local alumni. Spouses and partners are welcome.
    Additionally, alumni will be representing The Duke MBA at the Israeli MBA Form in Tel Aviv on December 30. You may register with the fair's organizer at face=MS Sans Serif http://www.mbaforum.co.il/.
    Limch
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 323

Current MBA Students Get-together in Tel Aviv on the 27th!

We are holding this event for all 1st and 2nd year Israeli MBA students from all International programs on December 27th.
    If you are a current student and have not received the official email with all the details – please shoot me an email and I'll get back to you with all the info you need :)

See ya!
    Limor – [email protected]

Naama
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

שלום,

יש לי שאלה בנוגע לשיטת הלימוד ב-Duke

האם מלמדים דרך הרצאות או case study?

וכמה מהעבודה נעשית בקבוצות?

תודה,

נעמה

danteleman2002
    חבר

To: Naama

Hi Naama,

Duke has a balanced approach. All core courses will have a mix of lectures and cases. Some classess, such as marketing and strategy, will tend to have more cases while classes like accounting and finance which are more thechnical will be more frontal. The electives will also have a mix.

All the work at Duke is done in teams, even in the more technical courses. Duke has a strong repution for team work.

Feel free to stop by at the Kidum fair next week and sepak with current students to learn more.

Dan

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 1 עד 50 (מתוך 88 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.