Home פורומים הפורומים Forum: תהליך הקבלה GMAT SC nuclear fusion

מוצגות 16 תגובות – 1 עד 16 (מתוך 16 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • sima
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 13

help…

1. Nuclear fusion is the force that powers the Sun, the stars, and hydrogen bombs, merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors.

(A) merging the nuclei of atoms and not splitting them apart, as in nuclear reactors

(B) merging the nuclei of atoms instead of splitting them apart, like nuclear reactors

(C) merging the nuclei of atoms rather than splitting them apart, as nuclear reactors do

(D) and merges the nuclei of atoms but does not split them apart, as is done in unclear reactors

(E) and merges the nuclei of atoms, unlike atomic reactors that split them apart

Itair
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 193

To: sima

I really can't remember the last time I solved a SC, but I will take a guess – E?
    Itair
    חבר

BTW, there is a dedicated thread for this purpose (Ask Irene…)
    sima
    חבר

To: Itair

Thanks Itai!!! Why E?
    Itair
    חבר

Well, I am not sure but a,b and c I would eliminate because of the 'participle modifier' (I think it is called this way….), meaning 'merging' relates to bombs rather than to nuclear fusion, thus changing the original meaning.

Not sure about D.

I am really not familiar with the rules anymore, just gave it a shot.

gili4u
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 78

To: All

ב- D יש משפט עם מבנה מקבילי X and Y ואז עולה השאלה מי זה them יכול להיות בעקרון the stars, and hydrogen bombs ואז E פותרת את הבעיה

ilanvag
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 157

To: Itair

I think you're right – I also think it's E.
    JoeCool
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 267

To: sima, Itair, gili4u, ilanvag

I took a quick look and I would have to say C.

AZ

gets
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 67

Well, let's see if I remember something:
    Merging is Participle Modifier => relates to Nuclear fusion => and this mean that :" while merging……, the nuclear fusion is the force that ….."
    I do not remeber exactly when to use "as" and when "like" -check it at Iirene's book, but at B there should be verb "do" in the end of the sentence, otherwise it is wrong comparison – compares noun with verb.
    A, B, C – out (flaw in logic)
    D) comma before conjunction but is missing, and pay attention to this => "unclear reactors" instead of "nuclear reactors" => D is out.
    You left only with E in which "Nuclear fusion is the force that powers …., and merges…." => verb "powers" is parallel to verb "merges"
    E is correct
    ilanvag
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 157

To: JoeCool

No, it's no C. it isn't clear enough what "as nuclear reactors do" refers to – it can be either of two things.
    Tammy Ninyo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 42

התשובה הנכונה היא C.

הטעות היא שימוש במילת ההשוואה as שמשמת להשוואת פעלים ללא פועל אחריה.

B משתמשת ב-instead of שאינו אהוד על כותבי הבחינה (עדיף rather than).

D פחות תמציתית מ-C בגלל השימוש בסביל.

D, E שגויות בכך שהן יוצרות מבנה מקביל שאבריו הם powers and merges בעוד שבמשפט המקורי אין הקבלה (הגיונית) ביניהם. קראו גם את ההסבר בקובץ שקישרתי אליו.

הנה קישור לקובץ השאלות וההסברים, זו שאלה 104: http://www.cs.nccu.edu.tw/~g9125/OG11/SC-Answer/og11%20sc.doc

JoeCool
    חבר

To: ilanvag, sima, Itair, gili4u, gets, Tammy Ninyo

Thanks Tammy. I feel vindicated.

Sorry, Ilan, I had no intention of making you look like a fool, but you did it to yourself man, with that last post!

AZ

gets
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 67

To: JoeCool, All, sima, Itair, gili4u, ilanvag, Tammy Ninyo

Tamy,
    Is the explanation, at the link you provided, official one? O
    It does not say a word about "merging" which I think is the key for solving the question correctly. In my opinion most of the explanations in OG made in such a way that it is almost impossible to learn from them. Their most popular reasoning is "wordy" and "awkward":)) So, one can keep gambling:)
    Can you please explain what part of sentense is the word "merging" , and to what exactly it realates?
    Regarding word "as" – it can serve both as conjuntion and as preposition.
    Run a search for "as" here: http://webster.com/. In this specific case, however, it seems that it should serve as conjuction (verb "do" is missing) – so you are right.
    In addition, can you please explain why parallelism between "powers" and "merges" is incorrect. I did not understand your reasoning.
    JoeCool,
    Can you please provide your reasoning?
    Tammy Ninyo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 42

איציק,

הקובץ שקישרתי אליו הוא באמת ההסברים הרשמיים שמויעים באופישל גייד. אני מסכימה איתך שההסברים שלהם נוטים לכיוון האידיומטי ומדגישים ידע ולא חשיבה, כשלעיתים הם מתעלמים ממשהו שפותר את השאלה בקלות ומעדיפים להתיחס לאיזו מילת יחס במקום זאת. בגלל זה בדיוק לא מספיק ללמוד לבחינה מספרים בלבד.

merging הוא פועל לא מוטה. פועל לא מוטה הוא פועל נטול זמן. פועל כזה יכול להיות הפועל השני או השלישי (וכן הלאה) במשפט, אך אינו יכול להיות הפועל הראשון במשפט.

כך, Felix kissing Rosa שגוי בעוד ש-Felix is kissing Rosa תקין.

פועל, במיוחד פועל שאינו הפועל הראשון במשפט, לא אמור להתייחס למשהו ספציפי. לעיתים הוא מתייחס לנושא ולעיתים לכל מה שהופיע לפניו. מה גם שטעויות עמימות אינן נוגעות לפעלים גרידא. טעויות עמימות נוצרות ע"י שימוש בכינוי גוף שמתאים לשני שמות עצם או ע"י modifier שפתוח את המשפט ואינו צמוד לש"ע שאותו הוא מתאר. כך שבמשפט המקורי merging אינו מאובחן כטעות. כל עוד הוא לא הפועל הראשון במשפט – דיינו (ברוח החג המתקרב).

מה כן אמור למקד את תשומת הלב במשפט המקורי? המילה as. היא, כמו גם המילים than, like, unlike מרמזות על קיומו של מבנה השוואה בשאלה, ומאחר שהשוואות הן נושא שנבדק בבחינה, יש לבדוק את תקינותו של מבנה ההשוואה. as בד"כ מופיע בזוגות. as בודד משמש בהשוואות בהשוואת פעלים. נכון שיש למילה as שימושים נוספים כגון מילת קישור של סיבה (I will not attend the party as I'm sick) או מילת יחס (I think of him as a friend(, אבל חלק מהחוכמה בבחינה היא להפעיל שיקול דעת והיגיון וכשרואים מילה עם כמה שימושים, לאבחן נכונה את השימוש שנעשה בה. כאן בהחלט יש השוואה בין nuclear fusion ל-nuclear reaction. ההשוואה היא בפעולה שהם עושים.

הכלל לגבי מבנה השוואה שמשתמש ב-as בודד הוא שבשני אגפי ההשוואה צריך להיות פועל – ואותו פועל: Felix sleeps as does Rosa. במשפט המקורי חסר פועל אחרי as. בתשובה הנכונה, הוסיפו את הפועל החסר (do).

נכון ש-merging הוא פעולה שמבצע נושא המשפט, קרי nuclear fusion. אבל רוצים ליצור פה הנגדה בין merging ל-splitting, ולכן שתי צורות הפועל הללו דומות. ב-E, ע"י הפיכת merging ל-merges, מטשטשים את ההנגדה הזו ויוצרים קירוב רעיוני של merges ל-forces. forces… and merges. למה? למה לחבר אותם ב-and כשהדגש אינו על קשר ההוספה ש-fusion עושה גם זה וגם זה אלא הדגש הוא על הניגוד בין הפעולה שעושה fusion לעומת הפעולה שעושים ה-reactors. תשובה E יוצרת שינוי מבני ממיותר במשפט. אם מבינים שהטעות במשפט המקורי היא לא טעות מבנית אלא בהס"כ פועל חסר באגף השני של ההשוואה, קל לבחור בתשובה שמתקנת טעות זו בלי לשנות דברים שבמקור היו תקינים. תשובה E משנה את מבנה המשפט שלא לצורך. כך שלמרות שהיא נכונה דקדוקית, היא פחות טובה מתשובה C. ולדעתי שגית כי אבחנת שלא כהלכה את הטעות במשפט המקורי. הפוקוס שלך מהתחלה היה על merging שהוא בעצם סבבה לגמרי.

זו לא שאלה קלה (ויעיד אורך ההסבר וכל הדיון הזה בכלל) ו-E הוא מסיח חזק (לא טעית לבד, עוד כמה אנשים חשבו כמוך). אלה בדיוק השאלות שצריך לדעת לפצח כשניגשים לבחינה במטרה להוציא 700 +.

חג שמח,

תמי

JoeCool
    חבר

To: gets, sima, Itair, gili4u, ilanvag, Tammy Ninyo

I do not mean to brag in any way, but rather am just trying to explain my reasoning because you asked.

I really did not take a long time looking at this question, I have put the GMAT behind me. I was trying to solve it for fun, just to see if I can do it. I looked at the question and felt the word "do" was missing after the "as". I quickly scanned the other answers and did not find one that was better or more concise. So I picked C.

Although I grew up here in Israel, I was born in the U.S. and have always kept up a high level of English. I cannot even begin to understand all of the reasonings presented here whether by you, or anyone else including Tammy (although I did understand Tammy's explanation – Thanks for that). In essence I just "felt" the first sentence was lacking and found what was missing in answer C – which also represented the answer which did not change the meaning of the original sentence (as it was intended) and did it in the simplest way.

This was how I worked on the GMAT and it went well for me. It is obviously not for everyone, but is simpler if you can do it. It is important to note that there are many questions intended for people who work like this and have them make a mistake which is why you need to know all the rules as well.

Not to mention all the hard work and practice.

Good luck to you all,

AZ

sima
    חבר

To: Tammy Ninyo, Itair, gili4u, ilanvag, JoeCool, gets

תודה רבה רבה רבה לכולם על העזרה! למדתי הרבה היום…

סימה

מוצגות 16 תגובות – 1 עד 16 (מתוך 16 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.