מוצגות 50 תגובות – 101 עד 150 (מתוך 295 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • m_shahar
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 139

To: yaniv1975

בעיניי מה שמכריע את הכף היא האפשרות לקפוץ הביתה ולדפוק שנ"צ של הלייף…

איכות חיים לא נמדדת בגודל המטבח או הסלון, איכות חיים נמדדת ביכולת להגיע לשעור בחמש דקות איחור, עם קורי השינה עוד על העיניים, עם כוס קפה חם בכוס תרמית ביד ולהסתכל בזלזול בפריירים שגרים רחוק מהקמפוס ונאלצים לבלות את כל היום בבית הספר.

נקודות אור נוספות:

-חצי שעת שינה נוספת בבוקר X שש ימי לימודים בשבוע X עשרים וארבע שבועות לימודים = 72 שעות שינה נוספות בשנה! הללויה!

– בבקרים לא קרים במיוחד אפשר לוותר על המעיל ולרוץ לבית הספר (כ~30 שניות הליכה מדלת לדלת – בדקתי) ולהסתכל בזלזול על כל הפריירים שגרים רחוק מהקמפוס ונאלצים לסחוב מעיל + כובע + כפפות + צעיף

-צהריים עם האישה

-אין כמו השירותים של הבית אחרי ארוחת צהריים דשנה עם האישה

-את נושא השנ"צ לאחר הארוחה והשירותים כבר כיסנו

:)

shimonh
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 159

To: m_shahar, yaniv1975, tabash

תודה!

טוב, נראה לי דילמה קלאסית כי לשני האיזורים יש יתרונות/חסרונות משמעותיים למרות ששחר, כרגיל, לא בוחל באמצעים….

JoeCool
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 267

To: yaniv1975, m_shahar

Hi Guys,

I know it is really early for this question but I am curious:

What computers (laptops) are you using? What was recommended by MIT and what are the costs?

Thanks

yaniv1975
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 46

To: All

Anything that works and has Wi-Fi = wireless internet is good enough.
    The programs you will be using are MS Office, which will be provided for free by the school (original version…) not pirated…
    Yaniv
    JoeCool
    חבר

What do people commonly use?

What is the popular make and model?

Thanks

Itair
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 193

To: JoeCool

IBM T60
    yaniv1975
    חבר

Dell is the most popular and IBM (who are now called Lenovo) is also quite popular. There are a bunch of Sony Vaio, Toshiba and Apples too
    JoeCool
    חבר

To: yaniv1975, Itair

Thanks for your responses.

AZ

yanivd
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 21

hi yaniv

I'm planning on applying for the MBA program sarting on 2008. i will be visiting MIT on thuesday (13th), any chance you will be on camppus? maybe we can try to meet up?

thanks,

yaniv

yaniv1975
    חבר

Yes I'll be in school, Id be glad to meet you. email me , my email is in a previous post in this forum
    ilanvag
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 157

AZ – go for the Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad T60.

I have tons of experience with many brands (over 15 years, and using over 10 different notebooks), and Thinkpads are the best by far.

Dell are a bit cheaper, but there is no comparison when it comes to quality and ease of use (and believe me I know – both me and my wife currently have Dells – two different notebooks…)

ilanvag
    חבר

AZ – go for the Lenovo (IBM) Thinkpad T60.

I have tons of experience with many brands (over 15 years, and using over 10 different notebooks), and Thinkpads are the best by far.

Dell are a bit cheaper, but there is no comparison when it comes to quality and ease of use (and believe me I know – both me and my wife currently have Dells – two different notebooks…)

JoeCool
    חבר

To: ilanvag

Thanks.

You have only reasserted what I already have come to think myself.

After using both (and others), I like the Thinkpads much better and the T-60 looks awesome!

AZ

tabash
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 19

אני יודע שהדיון בנושא הלפטופ הסתיים לפני כמה ימים אבל חשבתי להוסיף שתי נקודות למחשבה:

1) אנחנו מסתובבים כל היום עם המחשב בנוסף לחוברות וספרים ושאר מרעין בישין. ככל שהמחשב יותר קטן וקומפקטי – הרווחתם.

2) ב-SLOAN אסור להשתמש בלפטופים במהלך שיעורים למעט tablets ולכן יש יתרון מסויים ל-tablets – אפשר לרשום הערות על שקפי ההצגה וכד'.

לי אישית יש Thinkpad X41 ואני לא מצטער על זה בכלל – מסך 12.1 אינץ אבל מקלדת מעולה ומשקל אפסי בעוד שבבית יש לי את ה docking station של המחשב עם מסך ענק ומקלדת אלחוטית ככה שזה ממש כמו להשתמש ב-desktop בבית ו-laptop בחוץ.

ועוד בנושא המקלדת – אני ממליץ לקנות בארץ מקלדת כדי שלפחות בבית תהיה מקלדת עברית (בשביל מיילים למשפחה, הודעות ב-mba chances וכד').

JoeCool
    חבר

To: tabash

Thanks for your input. Especially the tip about the keyboard. I'll keep that in mind.

I am surprised that you are not allowed to use your computers in class. How do you summarize the class? I wouldn't have gotten through my first degree if it weren't for my laptop.

AZ

alexsc
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

יניב שלום.

האם הטיול יוצא לפועל וההזמנה למפגש עדיין רלוונטית? אם כן, אז אשמח להשתתף.

אלכס.

yaniv1975
    חבר

הטיול ייצא לפועל כמתוכנן.
    הערב יתקיים ככל הנראה ביום רביעי, 28 למרץ בערב. פרטים יימסרו בהמשך.
    להתראות
    יניב

tabash
    חבר

Hey JoeCool,

The thing with laptop is that soon enough you start surfing the web, IM and email in addition to the annoying clicking soung that can drive everyone crazy.

Class are very interactive so laptops do disturb the dynamics and attention and I think that Sloan is not the only school which prohibits laptops in class (but allows tablets).

Most classes have handouts and other deliverables so that there is no reason to write "war an peace" in class.

Tal

JoeCool
    חבר

To: tabash

Thanks Tal!

Although I am making it clear ahead of time that I have no intention of writing the likes of 'War and Peace", or any other novel for that matter. I am more of a Cliffnotes guy, if you know what I mean.

AZ

m_shahar
    חבר

Sorry for the late reply but I really want to put the plug for tablet.
    IMHO tablet is great not only because you can use it in class, but also because you digitize all your class notes.
    Far better than storing tons of dusty notebooks.
    ilanvag
    חבר

To: m_shahar

Shahar,

Can you please explain what you mean by "you digitize all your class notes"? I have no experience with tablets, and have no idea what you mean (scanning?)

m_shahar
    חבר

To: ilanvag

במקום לרשום במחברת אתה רושם על המסך של המחשב.

יתרון גדול, במיוחד אם יש לך את המצגת שהמרצה מראה בשיעור ואתה כותב את ההערות ישר על המצגת עצמה (אח"כ אפשר לראות את המצגת עם או בלי ההערות שרשמת עליה).

לא צריך לשמור מחברות למשך שנים…

ilanvag
    חבר

הבנתי, תודה רבה.

JoeCool
    חבר

Cool.

But don't you have a couple of students who write everything the professor says and then everyone copys the file from them? Or i can just use yours…

That is how it worked in my undergrad here in Israel… Are you trying to tell me the students at Sloan are more serious than that? (j/k)

Seriously now, thanks for the input. I will take it in to consideration when making my decision.

AZ

Gal Sivan
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 21

Hi all,

I am looking for people who belong to media and entertainment clubs in the top schools, because I am trying to differentiate the schools. Please contact me if you take part in any such club, and share your pride of the school and the program with me.

Thanks a lot,

Gal.

m_shahar
    חבר

To: shaolin007

You should try contacting the club’s presidents.
    Check out the “contact us” section in Sloan’s EMS website:
    face=Times New Roman color=#800080 http://sloanems.org/

BTW, this club just recently organized an extremely successful first of its kind sport business conference:

face=Times New Roman color=#800080 http://www.sloansportsconference.com/
    Roy Ben-Ami
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 82

Hi People,

Did any one start making plans or sending staff to Sloan?

For me I think I need to do the following:

• Sign in to the House Lottery
    • Send the MIT Graduate Loan Form
    • Send the International Students Financial Certification
    • Start looking at the Medical staff (the vaccines etc if we need)
    • Update my Sloan Profile with a "normal" picture
    • Get a Visa
    • Buy a plane ticket

Anything I missed?

Don't worry I didn't start doing anything yet….. so don't stress

And I have a couple of questions for current MIT students:

1) What exactly do we need to do in terms of medical vaccines etc…

2) Can I come to the US on a tourist Visa in July, and then go to Canada and enter Us again on Student Visa on August?

3) Anything else that you remember we need to do (and that maybe you forgot when you went to Sloan?(

4) Is there a remote chance of getting any financial help?

alexsc
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

Yaniv hi.

What about the meeting you announced? Is it going to happen tomorrow, 28/3? When & where?

Alex

JoeCool
    חבר

To: alexsc, yaniv1975

I was waiting to hear of the details of this event as well.

I sent Yaniv an e-mail but did not get a response.

If anyone can share the details with those of us who are interested in attending please share them.

Thanks,

AZ

Itair
    חבר

Guys,

This event was canceled.

FYI

JoeCool
    חבר

To: Itair

Thanks for the notice.

I am disappointed that Yaniv didn't let us know about the change in plans.

AZ

tabash
    חבר

To: Roy Ben-Ami

Hi Roy,

It looks like you are all set and ready to go!! I will try to answer at least some of your questions:

1) The vaccines can be taken at any Health Department regional center. I didn't even know they existed until then but if you ask your "kupat cholim" they will refer you to the right location (or you can check on-line at the health department's web site). I recommend doing it in stages so that your body will not over-load and not leaving it to the last moment (like yours truly) and have it done in wholesale. If you have a vaccination booklet – bring it along with you and it might save you a couple of needle marks.

2) If you have a VALID F-1 visa AND a VALID B visa I think you can enter as a tourist and re-enter as a student, however there might be a risk associated with entering from Canada with an F-1 visa for the first time (which takes a little longer since there is a process to be completed at the border control). The immigration officers do not like incidents that are not "normal". An Israeli entering from Canada as an F-1 for the first time might require some explaining to do. I'm not saying it is not do-able, I'm just saying you should ask a professional (at the embassy on your interview or something like that).
    In addition, I think that a month a head of time is more than enough to settle in, especially if you are going to leave in one of the dorms (again – highly recommended). I would spend my time saying good bye to friends and family.

3) Your list seemed comprehensive enough and it covers all the main things. If there is anything you would like to ship ahead of time – I would try to join in on one of the Israeli student groups that ship as a "consortium".
    I would add to your list – buy anything you think you won't be able to buy in the US (like a wireless keyboard with hebrew writings on it etc.)

4) The financial "aid" comes in three forms:
    a) A VERY generous loan – that you know of already
    b) The McKinsey fellowship award (or something like that) – $15K for
    which your application is considered almost automatically (all you do
    to the best of my knowledge is to check a box on the application).
    c) A nice salary as a summer intern.
    Other than that – there is virtually no financial aid at top business schools (a matter of supply and demand).

Enjoy your time and rest a lot, come September you will be working hard, playing hard and drinking hard!!!

Tal

yaniv1975
    חבר

אהלן

לצערנו הרב מפגש הבוגרים שניסינו לארגן בתל אביב לא התקיים. מאוחר מאוד יחסית נודע לנו שעקב הכשרות לפסח, המלון שבו תיכננו לערוך בו את האירוע לא יכול יהיה לארח אותנו. מקומות אלטרנטיביים היה קשה למצוא, כיון שהיינו מחויבים למצוא מקום כשר ופנוי.

הבית ספר לא הסכים לתקצב את המקומות שמצאנו כיוון שהם דרשו מחירים גבוהים בהרבה. בקיצור, לאחר שהושקעו מאמצים רבים (פגישות, אי-מיילים, הפעלת סוכנת שתחפש מקום אלטרנטיבי בת"א ועוד) נאלצנו לוותר על האירוע.

היות ומעולם לא פרסמנו הזמנה רשמית לא חשבנו לפרסם הודעת ביטול רשמית… על כך התנצלותינו, כיון שנראה שאנשים רבים הבינו שהמפגש מתקיים. בנוסף לכך, היינו בלי אימייל כל השבוע האחרון בארץ – ורק עכשיו ראינו את ההודעות בפורום על המפגש.

לסיכום – מצטערים שלא הצלחנו לקיים את האירוע ושלא יידענו אתכם על כך.

להתראות בקרוב בבוסטון,

יניב ויובל

JoeCool
    חבר

Guys – No hard feelings.

The only reason we thought it was happening was becuase you sent out personal e-mails.

I am sorry it did not work out, I was looking forward to meeting the group and learning more about the E & I program.

Chag Sameach,

AZ

Roy Ben-Ami
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 82

Hi Tal,

Thanks very much for your help.

Can't wait till August, well at least to the drinking hard part :)

yair cass
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 8

Dear MIT students

I am considering my application to MIT.Do you think a visit to campus could be beneficial and if so will a visit at the beginning of May still relevant for experiencing the Sloan atmosphere?

Thank You

Yair

Itair
    חבר

To: yair cass

Yair,

Although I am not yet a current student, I will try to answer the first part, since I visited recently the MIT campus and was overwhelmed.

First of all, if at first I thought that I knew everything I needed – I was wrong. The visit truly showed me the infinite opportunities that this program/campus provides. The association that Sloan has with MIT other departments is quite rare among business schools and it is one of the things that personally motivated me to come to Sloan.

Just as an example, I visited the Media Lab (Thanks Shahar for the tour…), and I have to say that this building is breathtaking. There are many state-of-the-art projects running there, comprised of students from all over the campus and the technologies and innovation involved is amazing (I did not even realize that such technologies can exist…). By the way, this lab is quite unique worldwide and there is an extensive article about one of its projects in the previous “TheMarker.”

I would recommend taking the Ambassador Program once you are there. You will get the chance to speak with admissions directors (and to learn how you can strengthen your application), to meet students from the E&I and the LFM programs and to sit in lectures (another thing here – I visited several schools and participated in several lectures, but the dynamic at Sloan’s class was totally different).

I knew for a long time that MIT’s main motto is “Mind and Hand” (theory and practice), but I did not quite understand it until I saw it myself (a good example – the course “I-team” – read about it in their website you won’t believe it…. I witnessed one of their meetings). I believe that no matter what you will do, you will never be able to feel the atmosphere unless you are there.

One last (and very important) point – arriving to the campus prior to the submission of the application shows great commitment to the program, thus increases your admissions chances. Bear that it mind.

I hope I helped. Good luck.
    m_shahar
    חבר

To: yair cass

I've got nothing to add to Itai's great answer.

Make sure you visit no later than May 10th.

Best days to visit are Tue and Thu.

See you here,

Shahar

Limch
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 323

שלום לכולם!

בהמשך להודעות קודמות בנושא, חופשת הפסח מתקרבת לקיצה וכמובטח נקיים בקרוב מפגש לכל מי שבדרך לבוסטון והסביבה.

המפגש מתוכנן ל-21.4 פרטים נוספים ימסרו במייל בהמשך, לאחר אישור הגעה.

*** עדכון לאור פניותכם במייל: התאריך אינו סופי, מועד סופי יקבע לאחר שתהיה רשימה מלאה של כל מי שמעוניין להגיע ואז נמצא תאריך שמתאים לכולם

מוזמנים להגיע כל המתקבלים מכל הסיבובים, כולל בני/בנות זוג!

אנא אשרו הגעתכם עד ה-17.4 על מנת שנוכל להערך בהתאם, שלחו מייל ל:

limch @ netvision net il

ובהזדמנות זו: מזל טוב לכל המצטרפים של סיבוב שני!

yair cass
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 8

Hi Itai &sahar

Thank you for the quick and informative response

Sahar Can I contact you by e-mail?

Yair

Itair
    חבר

To: tabash, yaniv1975, m_shahar

שאלה קטנה שעלתה פה כבר לגבי מעונות נשואים ועלתה שוב אתמול – אשמח אם תוכלו להרחיב מעט יותר. East Gate Vs. West Gate. יתרונות וחסרונות. האם נכון ש WG שופץ לאחרונה ומצבו סביר (בניגוד למה שהבנתי שהיה..או עדיין…).

האם אכן מומלץ לבקש רק EG ולקחת סיכון שלא לקבל כלום או עדיף בכל זאת לבקש גם WG בעדיפות שניה? מה הם הסיכויים בשני המקרים?

תודה,

איתי

yaniv1975
    חבר

באחד העמודים הקודמים של הפורום יש דיון מעמיק בנושא
    Eastgate Vs. Westgate עם הודעות שנכתבו על ידי ועל ידי שחר.

מה מצבך המשפחתי? ב Westgate יש גם מגדל לנשואים ללא ילדים = סלון+חדר שינה וגם מגורי משפחות שאלו בתים יותר גדולים = סלון+2 חדרי שינה. הבתים האלו נקראים Low Rise הי הבניה נמוכה, 3 קומות, נראה כמו הרכבות (שיכונים) שבכניסה לבאר שבע, רק יותר קומפקטי ופחות מכוער…
    הדירות כאן במצב מצוין, דרך אגב.
    יניב

Itair
    חבר

תודה יניב.

קראתי את הדיון הקודם בנושא, אך רציתי לדעת יותר לגבי המצב של WG (שהבנתי שהמצב שם ממש לא טוב) ולגבי סיכויי קבלת מעונות כאשר מבקשים רק EG או שמבקשים EG בעדיפות ראשונה ו WG בעדיפות שניה.

ודרך אגב אני נשוי בלי ילדים.

שוב תודה.

yaniv1975
    חבר

אם כך הכתובת היא טל, כיון שאני קיבלתי את WG מרשימת המתנה ואני גר בדירות מסוג שונה משאתה תקבל.
    מהביקורים אצל טל התרשמתי שהבניין ברמה גבוהה, אבל בוא נשמע את דעתו
    יניב

m_shahar
    חבר

To: Itair

סיכויים לקבלת דירות באיסטגייט:

באיסטגייט יש 2 סוגי דירות לזוגות לא נשואים: דירה פינתית שהיא גדולה יחסית ודירה מרכזית שהיא קטנה יותר.

על פי החישוב שאני עשיתי בזמנו (על פי המידע שהם רשמו באתר של ההגרלה) אם נרשמים לדירה פינתית בעדיפות ראשונה יש סיכוי של 50% לקבל אותה ואם נרשמים לדירה מרכזית יש סיכוי של 90%+ לקבל אותה. לכן אני נרשמתי לדירה מרכזית מתוך הנחה שעדיף איסטגייט על פני גודל דירה.

לשיקולך…

בנוסף, מישהו אמר לי שאם נרשמים רק לאיסטגייט אז מקבלים דירה בטוח (זה מה שהוא עשה) – כי לא רוצים שתתקע בלי דירה.

אתה מוזמן לנסות, אני לא לוקח אחריות.

שחר

m_shahar
    חבר

התכוונתי "זוגות ללא ילדים" ולא "זוגות לא נשואים"….

tabash
    חבר

Hi Itai,

WG is always under renovations but I think all in all in terms of amenities and apartment size it is better than EG. The tradeoff is, as was mentioned before, the distance from school and from most forms of public transportation (for which EG is perfect).

In my case it was better for me since my wife goes to school right across the river from us and I can take the MIT shuttle bus to school but if proximity to school and the subway is the most important thing to you than definitely EG is the way to go. I do recommend putting down WG as a lower priority to ensure that you'll get something for sure though and in either case both of them are good to live in and provide everything you need to settle in.

BTW – there are smaller apartments in WG (called – "efficiency") which I seriously recommend NOT to put down and not to consider. These are studio apartments and are VERY small (In each of the 15 floors of WG there are 4 1 BR apartments and 6 "efficiency" apartments).

I hope it helped and I seriously encourage anyone who gets (or considers) WG to contact me either via email or phone.

Tal

[email protected]
    home: 617-577-5514
    cell: 857-998-9134

Itair
    חבר

To: tabash, m_shahar, yaniv1975

Thank you guys. That was useful. I will contact you.

Itai

m_shahar
    חבר

Hi,

So far 10 (!) Israelis have accepted the offer to join the class of 2009.

If you are one of the ten – congratulations! You are going to have an amazing class! It looks like the class of 2009 is going to be an extremely strong class.

If you are still debating on whether to accept your offer – please contact us with any questions that you might have. Don’t miss this amazing opportunity .

Amazing news and another indication of the caliber of the Israeli candidates, students and alumni of MIT Sloan!

Keep on the good work..

Shahar

m_shahar
    חבר

In other news,

In early July Debbie Berechman is going to hold a presentation for prospective applicants (for next year) in Tel Aviv.

Stay tuned…

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 101 עד 150 (מתוך 295 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.