מוצגות 5 תגובות – 1 עד 5 (מתוך 5 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • gets
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 67
    Hi All.
    All of us hear/know how important the alums network is for one's career advancement. Some even think that the network is the most important asset of the MBA abroad. So, I will appreciate if some of the alums and current students can elaborate on the strength of the network of their school. How helpful was the alums' network? Personal experiences and examples, such as I e-mailed 10 alums with the question, 8 of them replied, and 2 of those actually helped me to receive the job/internship offer, are mostly welcomed.
    Regards,
    gets
    Assaf Wand
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 209

To: gets

Hi Gets,

I will use your message as the sounding board to a point I want to make, although I am not certain it is answering your question directly:

I don't think there is a Stronger network etc' from one top school to the other, and giving examples is not relevant, each school has a different strength, but they are all great – it is not a competition – will you not apply to a certain school and do to another because someone is going to write that he contacted 15 alums and 12 responded… I think that networking just like job search etc' is UP TO THE PERSON – by this I mean, it depends on the role you are trying to get into, on the person you met (most of my best referrals were made through one great alum I had good contact with who got me in touch with dozens more), it is not a numbers game. Some people are just better networkers than others, and overall we as Israelis SUCK at it

A twist on the point I wanted to make, I remember that as an applicant I thought that the rankings and the perceptions are what is important, but the experience is much more than that – like so many people wrote in here and Anat wrote recently – there are other factors

I have failed to meet a person who did his MBA in a top school and didn't like the experience – as for networking – we still have the Israeli network, which is a BIG reason why we started the IIMBA, I helped so many fellow Israeli student (and not just Israelis) who were interested in getting into consulting, even when they were not from Chicago GSB :-)

My two cents – make some inquries and find some schools you like, apply to the best ones you can – and only if you will get into several of them than start thinking on the small differences (only if they really matter to you)

A

gets
    חבר

To: Assaf Wand

Hi Assaf.
    Thank you for the response. As always, you made your point very clear.
    I totaly agree with you that networking is UP TO THE PERSON, and that someone who is good at it, will do (network) better than others at any school. However, I have heard from few sources that there are some schools known for more responsive and willing to help networks than others. In general these are few smaller schools located at rural areas, and Stanford. Do you think that is not correct?
    gets
    Assaf Wand
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 209

To: gets

Overall, I think there is some merit to the point (not sure if Stanford is stonger in that), I think there are two specific aspects that are important as well:

1) Geography- as a rule of thumb – people will likely be more responsive to network and chat with people from their current geography – people prefer (and you should as well) meeting in person over chatting on the phone

2) Industry – different industries have a different appetite for networking, most of the PE people are quite fed up with students calling them, some industries just hate it (Hedge Funds) and some like it (technology)

To tie it all together, it might be easier to network with people in the banking side if you are going to Columbia and want to work in NYC in that aspect, same as it is easy from Stanford to network into cool start-ups – but it isn't easier to network into banking in NYC from Stanford and vice versa with CBS

Does it makes sense

A

gets
    חבר

To: Assaf Wand

Assaf.
    Thanks, that makes sense.
    gets
מוצגות 5 תגובות – 1 עד 5 (מתוך 5 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.