מוצגות 50 תגובות – 1 עד 50 (מתוך 241 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • Yasmin
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 63

To: All

Stanford GSB students are happy to answer your questions –

Currently 7 Israeli students are enrolled, six of us are MBA1 and one is MBA2. I will let each of us introduce himself.

Looking forward for your questions and hoping to see many of you in sunny California !!!

jgalore
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 15

Hi all,

My name is Yonatan and I'm also an MBA1 here at the GSB. My professional background is software R&D (project management, team leader, etc) and a CS degree from the Academic College of Tel Aviv.

Looking forward to helping out with questions about Stanford. Best of luck!

– YG

Yasmin
    חבר

Well – let me introduce myself

My name is Yasmin. My professional background is in the hospitality industry and in corporate finance.I have an undergraduate degree in Law, accounting and economics from Tel Aviv university.

Looking forward to making your way here as easy as I can

Yasmin

nonorapa
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 4

first thx for the thread, i m very interested in stanford and i m sure u guys can b very helpful to all of us that feal the same way.

the other thing, (and i dont want to b a drag… but) can u guys give a bit more details on your stats (years of work experience, GMAT, GPA, age ect)

thx

gavrile
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

Hi,

I understand the age issue is crucial at Stanford.

I'm currently 30 and applying to 2005. Will it be a stretch considering my age?

What are the main attributes the Stanford admission members look for?

Thanks

jgalore
    חבר

To: nonorapa

nonorapa,

I'll give you some stats, but I'll qualify that they represent NOTHING. People keep saying that every candidate is a "package" and it's absolutely true – the scores, age, years of experience, etc are important, but the value of your recommendations and essays is greater.

Having qualified, here are my "stats": 6 years "industry experience" + 3 years in the army (I studied in parallel to working), GPA 86/100, GMAT 780 and, finally, I'm going on 29 years of age.

Hope this helps,

YG

jgalore
    חבר

To: gavrile

gavrile,

I don't think the age is such an issue – it really depends on the other factors that your application portrays. With older candidates, the admissions team seeks more experience and more insight into you why you want and MBA and what you intend to do with it. I think this goes for all schools, and in general I haven't felt that the age issue is especially crucial here (28 is around average).

As I'm not a member of the admissions team I can't really say what they look for – I can only offer my take on things: like any other school, the GSB looks for bright people who have a proven track record of performance and growth (professional AND personal) and who have an interesting story to tell. This last part is probably the most important as is reflected by the essay question (what matters to you most and why…). I think they want to see a personality emerge from the application and not just numbers. In addition, it would be worth your while to learn as much as you can about the school, its strengths and attributes – so that you can explain why you and the GSB are a good match.

Hope this helps,

YG

shoshy
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 141

Hi,

I hear that the 'smarts' section (especially GPA) is extremely important at Stanford (much more than impressive work experience, international relations, volunteer work etc..) and that most of those who are admitted graduated with honors/ outstanding GMAT.

Is it true? Do you know of 'counter' examples?

Yasmin
    חבר

Shosy and everyone else hi –

I did not graduate with honors.

Admission is a balance of everything, your grades, GMAT, experience and I think mostly your personality and fit to the culture.

I encourage every one to apply. I almost did not submit my application because I thought it is too hard to get in. It is a truly unique and amazing place and I am enjoying every second of it.

We would love to see more Israelis here next here (if you ask me, i would especially LOVE to see more girls) – so APPLY !!!

Yasmin

jgalore
    חבר

To: shoshy

Shoshy,

what you mention is simply not the case. Consider this – the mba student body at stanford has a "grade non-disclosure policy", meaning grades are not disclosed to potential employers, etc. The school does its best to support this policy, realizing that working hard for grades is not the way to get the best out of the program. The gsb encourages students to "step out of their comfort zone", so to speak, and to learn and experience things that they have little background, and in some case real weaknesses in. Since this translates to lower grades in many cases, the non-disclosure policy makes sense.

With such an approach, I find it hard to believe that top grades are essential to be admitted. In fact, my GPA was far from outstanding. I encourage you to think about the other factors of your application as well.

Best of luck,

– Yonatan

shoshy
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 141

To: jgalore

Thanks for the encouragement, guys.
    Have fun and good luck with the finals!

zefko
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 44

Hello all,
    I have a question regarding the Partnership for Diversity (P4D) Fellowship Program –
    Is it for Israelis also or just for African-Americans, Mexican-Americans…

thanks
    Zefko

jgalore
    חבר

To: zefko

zefko,

to my understanding it applies mostly to students from US minorities. Though it isn't defined as such, the fact that there is a limited number of "slots" means that it is generally geared towards students who are african american, mexican american, native american, puerto rican, etc.

Try contacting the financial aid office http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/finaid/ for more information. Personally, I do not know of any Israelis that have applied for P4D.

HTH,

YG

nonorapa
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 4

could u guys give us a bit of inside information as to what r the strong points that one, from israel, should high light (maybe military exp) and what sort of charecteristic are best left out of the application proces (maybe military exp.)

also, how does the committee regard community service? (popular in the states, not so here)

thx

jgalore
    חבר

To: nonorapa

hey,

I don't think this is "inside" information, but more along the lines of general advice:

Try to think of how you'd be "preconceived" according to your "raw" profile (in terms of your undergrad degree, work experience, etc) and then try to paint a "rounder" image. So, for example, if you're an engineer, it's obvious that you have strong analytic skills, so try to show your people skills, community involvement, etc.

There isn't any particular aspect that you should highlight or downplay – it all depends on your personal profile. Try to paint an interesting, comprehensive picture. Also, make sure you support and complement the information your recommenders may discuss, and be honest. And again, it's best if you bring information that would surprise the reader, something unexpected and interesting is always good (climbed Mt. Everest recently?)

HTH,

YG

Yasmin
    חבר

Stanford Israeli students would like to extend a warm welcome to the new admits !!! We are very excited about the continuing strong Israeli presence here and looking forward to see you on admit weekend and next fall.

We are here to answer any questions you or your families may have.

Yoni, Lior, Rani, Elad, Guy, Ron and Yasmin

Stanford GSB

dan309
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 29

To: Yasmin

How many new Israeli admits are there?

Yasmin
    חבר

To: dan309

Our admissions office did not publicly release yet official numbers per country. I can tell you there is a nice Israeli presence ! i guess numbers will follow soon….

Yasmin

yarona
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 8

Hi Yasmin

my name is yarona, my husband and i r thinking about coming to stanford for his mba. i'm looking for info about the "wife's life" over there , can i get a job, what can i do with the baby.

i will be happy if u can contact me or conact me to someone how can help me get some info

yaro[email protected]

10x

yarona

LPOW
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 200

כולם,

יש לי חשש מפרופיל הסטודנטים בהרווארד וסטנפורד. נראה כי יש שם אוכלוסיה מאוד צעירה (אפילו בוגרי ב.א. בני 22 ). האם יש סטודנטים מאוניברסיטאות אלו שיכולים להרחיב על גיל הסטודנטים? האם הישראלים קשישים? איך הסטודנטים הצעירים משתלבים לאור שיטת הקייס והעדר הנסיון?.

תודה!

bilgrai
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 45

Hi all,

I'm looking for informattion about the PMP program in stanford.

Yasmin
    חבר

To: LPOW

Hi LPOW –
    Age is not one of the admissions criteria for Stanford (Federal regulation which is in place to prevent age discrimination). However, most of the students still fall into the 3-4 year after college range. For the class of 2006 (my class) “Years of Experience” range was 0-18 and the mean was 4.0 (which translates for the average american who did not take any time off before or after school to 26).
    The school does not plan or admit according to a specific range of work experience. It just happens.
    Naturally, Israeli students that had to serve in the military are a bit older. When my class started. last fall, the Israeli students were mostly around 30 (+/- 2 years).
    There are students with 0 years of work experience and from my experience they are great contributers to case discussion. A case discussion does not evolve solely around people's work experience but also around relevant academic frameworks and personal experiences. The younger students offer a different prespective and are many times more risk takers, meaning they are willing to take non popular positions in a discussion and play devil's advocate.
    I think the admissions office is doing a great work (=they admitted me…) and everyone who is in, can and will be a great contributer to all of the others studying and growth process.
    This is obviously my opinion. Hope it helps
    Yasmin

eladho
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 25

שלום לכולם.

אני מחפש מידע על התואר המשולב MBA ו- MA בחינוך. אשמח לכל מידע, ובשאיפה, הפנייה למישהו שלומד את התואר הזה, כך שאוכל לשאול שאלות ספציפיות (לא ראיתי באתר של Stanford דרך ליצור קשר עם סטודנטים מתוכניות ספציפיות שונות).

אלעד.

eladho
    חבר

Hi Yasmin,

I seek answers to this kind of questions. Any info you have, or a reference to where I can get it , is appreciated:

How common is a dual degree in general? How many students take the dual degree with Education? What can you tell me about Stanford University School of Education (SUSE)? Do you know of students who went on to get an EdD (doctoral degree) there? In the dual degree program- how does one degree benefit from the other? What kind of courses/labs are cross fields (GSB and SUSE)? I'm especially interested in the social enterprise projects. What can you tell me about social entrepreneurship courses? Can you detail some projects done under the Center for Social Innovation (CSI) in the field of Education?

Thanx in advance,

Elad.

Yasmin
    חבר

To: eladho

Hi Eladho and all –

One of my classmates who is enrolled in the education/MBA degree wrote the following unedited unofficial answers:

How common is a dual degree in general? How many students take the dual degree with Education?
    1) About 10-20 students each year generally pursue the joint-degree in Education (3-5% of the class). There are probably 1-2 MD/MBA students, 4-6 JD/MBA and 3-5 MBA / other (e.g. Kennedy School of Govt). So that's about 5-10% of the class in total.
    Note that the SUSE and SLS degrees are part of "joint" programs rather than "dual" degrees (dual indicates no formal joint program). Additionally, sometimes a few students drop from the SUSE program since logistics and courseload can be difficult to complete in 2 years.
    What can you tell me about Stanford University School of Education (SUSE)? In the dual degree program- how does one degree benefit from the other?
    2) You can probably find a good description of the SUSE program on Stanford websites. The program is quite broad, and different participants have different interests. The common theme is a strong interest in education and the desire to combine business and education studies to improve education in the future.
    Interests include but are not limited to public school reform, adolescent development, applying technology to education, higher education, charter schools, policy administration, curriculum development, etc.
    What kind of courses/labs are cross fields (GSB and SUSE)?
    3) There are only a few formal cross-listed courses between SUSE and GSB. These include Business Opportunities in Education, The Politics of Education, The Economics of Higher Education, Research & Practice in Urban Schools, and Strategic Leadership of Nonprofits (though this list can change year-to-year).
    Other classes that have some overlap in theory but are not cross-listed include: Leadership in Diverse Organizations, Financial Management of Nonprofits, Social Entrepreneurship, Strategic Management of Nonprofits, and others.
    As for your CSI education related question:
    I searched the GSB site and read about SELI (Stanford Educational Leadership Institute) http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/csi/programs/seli.html which seems like what you are asking about.
    Let me know if you have more questions or still want to talk directly with a joint degree student (I can't promise one would be available, but I can email all joint degree classmates and try).
    Good luck !!
    Yasmin

eladho
    חבר

Hi Yasmin,

Thanx for the detailed answer!

Elad.

yishayk
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

To: eladho

הי אלעד,

הייתי בסטנפורד לפי כחדשיים ונכחתי בהרצאת אורח של בוגר סטנפורד בשם ברק בן-גל (ישראלי לשעבר). הוא עשה את התואר המשולב, המשיך במיזמי חינוך באיזור סן פרנסיסקו ונחשב לכוכב בתחום.

מעבר לזה הוא בחור נחמד וצבעוני עם הסטוריה מלאת תהפוכות.

אני ממליץ לך לפנות אליו (תמצא אותו ברשימות הבוגרים של סטנפורד)

בהצלחה!

ישי

eladho
    חבר

To: yishayk

תודה ישי. אכן, חיפוש קטן גילה שמדובר בדמות ססגונית ומלאת חיים. אשמח לדבר איתו, אם כי לא מצאתי דרך ליצור איתו קשר דרך האתר של Stanford. אפנה לאוניברסיטה כדי שייעשו את הקישור.

אלעד.

eliko
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 203

היי יסמין,

שמי אלי ואני מתכנן להגיש מועמדות לסטנפורד בנובמבר.

אשמח אם תוכלי לפרט כמה שאת יכולה בפורום הזה על מה זה אומר תואר במנהל בהתמחוץ טכנולוגית – שזו לכאורה ההתמחות של סטנפורד.

כמו כן אילו תחומי מימון מציע בית הספר והאם באותה רמה מקצועית כמו הטכנולוגיה.

אני מעוניין חיצור קשר עם הסטודנטים הישראלים אצליכם לאורך החודשים הקרובים ואשמל לאסוף כל פיסת מידע אפשרית על סטנפורד.

סופשבוע נעים,

אליקו

LPOW
    חבר

Yasmin,

How important is it to apply to r1 vs. r2 for Israelis?

Thanks,

L

Yasmin
    חבר

The official answer is that there is no difference between 1st and 2nd rounds, but you are discouraged from applying on the 3rd round. I heard some say that International applicants should apply on the 1st round so they will have more time to take care of visa issues, but I think your question relates to admission chances rather than logistics. My advice is, apply when you are READY for it. I mean, it is useless to stress and apply on the 1st round if your application is not the best you can make out of it yet. If your application is perfect by the 1st round deadline, apply than, if not, wait for the 2nd round. Diversity is an admission criterion but there are no quotas for different nationalities.
    Good luck !
    Yasmin

Yasmin
    חבר

To: eliko

Hi Eli,

אשמח אם תוכלי לפרט כמה שאת יכולה בפורום הזה על מה זה אומר תואר במנהל בהתמחוץ טכנולוגית – שזו לכאורה ההתמחות של סטנפורד.
    The Stanford MBA has a general management focus. There are no majors.
    You can read more about the Stanford curriculum here: face=Times New Roman color=#800080 http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/learning/curriculum/index.html

כמו כן אילו תחומי מימון מציע בית הספר והאם באותה רמה מקצועית כמו הטכנולוגיה

The second year of the MBA is comprised only from electives and you can take whatever you want. You can focus on one subject such as finance or IT or you can take classes from variety of disciplines.
    Check this link for current second year electives:
    face=Times New Roman color=#800080 http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/learning/curriculum/second_year.html

All classes offered are in a very high level. The name of the school and the amazing California life style attract great faculty.

אני מעוניין חיצור קשר עם הסטודנטים הישראלים אצליכם לאורך החודשים הקרובים ואשמל לאסוף כל פיסת מידע אפשרית על סטנפורד.

I will be happy to answer your questions here or forward them to the other Israeli students here. If you plan to visit Stanford let us know and we will be happy to meet in person and show you around.
    Good luck
    Yasmin

Infowell
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 71

Hi Yasmin,

May I ask for your background? (GMAT, W/E, Edu., Extracurricular etc.)

Thanks.

Yasmin
    חבר

To: Infowell

Hi Infowell –

If you click on my name, you can read my past messages and learn about my education (Law, accounting and economics in TAU – not with honors) and about my work experience (Hospitality industry and Corporate finance).

I was involved in a non profit organization before I moved here and try to keep updated from far. On my spare time (yes, it exists even in Stanford) I love spending time with my family (2 kids + an amazing hubby), watch bad movies (sci-fi, action, stupid comedies) and learn new languages.

Grades non disclosure policy is one of the GSB's culture foundations. As such, I don’t feel comfortable sharing my GMAT score here. I also don't think it is important as admission to the GSB is a balance of all factors and the GMAT scores of admitted students range significantly. The GMAT is one of many indicators to your academic rigor (check GSB site for data). If you insist/curious email me (you can find my email on my old messages).

Yasmin

Infowell
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 71

Hi Yasmin,

Thanks for the replay. Really appreciate you taking the time and effort to write back.

assaflev
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

Hello Yasmin,

Is there a 1 year MBA program?

How hard is it doing the MBA with kids (I also have 2 kids) – time, money, ext.

Are thee many students with families in the program?

Thanks,

Assaf

bilgrai
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 45

To: assaflev

How about forming a support groups for "What matters to you most and why" essay ?

Yasmin
    חבר

To: assaflev

Hey Assaf –

1) The Stanford MBA is a full time, 2 year program. There is a one year program (Sloan) which is not an MBA but MSc. and is similar to executive MBA. You can read about it and compare to the MBA here: color=#800080 http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/sloan/academics/compare.html

2) It is not that bad to do an MBA with kids. Sometimes I think that it is even easier because I get energy and support from them, while others go back to their empty room at the dorms…..

You need to carefully manage your time prioritize differently than others (read bed time stories instead of going to bars). A supporting spouse, like mine, is extremely helpful. I guess it is also more difficult because you lose the support of parents/in-laws/other family free babysitters. On the other hand, I think my family became a part of the GSB community and we all benefit from it. If you live on campus (which I don’t) your kids will also enjoy a “kibbutz” style living with many kids running around all the time.

3) There are many students with kids, but most if not all, have student fathers (3 of my classmates will return in September with a baby, so that will change). There are clubs for spouses and kids (biz partners and biz kids). color=#800080 http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/studentlife/clubs_activities.html/SPAN also http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/studentlife/families_partners.html

Good luck

Yasmin

Slovo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 96

<p align=left dir=ltr>To: All<br><hr></p><p align=left dir=ltr>Hi Yasmin,

I'm in the process of applying to Stanford's GSB. I'd be more than happy to contact you for more information about Stanford. I can either call you or send you an email, whatever you prefer. If it is possible, please let me know and I'd do so.

Thank you,
    Tal
    </p>

guylevit
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 43

To all the GSB current students.

First, thanks for all the support and information.

I am planning to visit Stanford by the end of the month, probably Tuesday 27.9

From what I've seen in the website, most visiting activities start only during october.

Do you know if there's any visiting activities at that time? Is there a way to priately arrange a lunch with a student?

I will be glad if one of you can spare some of his time to meet and show me around. (lunch on me :-) )

Thanks,

Guy

Yasmin
    חבר

To: guylevit

Hi Guy

Our quarter starts on Sep 26th, and the 27th will be the first day of Tuesday classes. I guess this is why there are no class visits at that time. I personally have a class from 10 to 12. If you want i can try to email the professor before and get his permission ro bring you to class.

Would be happy to have lunch, but i dont think i can comit to it at this point. If I will not be able to, other Israelis may be able too (or other non Israelis for sure), but we can find it out closer to your visit date. If i cant have lunch, i could have coffee in the afternoon for sure.

I suggest you email me several days before your visit to finalize details

Yasmin

guylevit
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 43

Guy

zefko
    חבר

INTERESTED IN LEADING ORGANIZATIONS THAT WILL CHANGE THE WORLD IN SIGNIFICANT WAYS?
    Then spend an evening learning about the MBA Program at the Stanford Graduate School of Business.
    During the information session, you will get an overview of the program from an admissions officer, hear insights on the MBA experience from alumni, and have an opportunity to ask questions.

Seating is limited. Please register on line:
    http://www.gsb.stanford.edu/mba/info_sessions

Yasmin
    חבר

To elaborate on Zefko's post –

Stanford will hold an admission information session in Tel Aviv on Wednesday October 19th. The session will take place in Sheraton Tel Aviv hotel, 115 Hayarkon st. Tel Aviv.

Please register to guarantee your spot.

Enjoy!

mishra
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 12

שלום לפורום סטנפורד הרדום.

במהלך ינואר אני נוסע לאוקלנד לנסיעת עבודה, ומתכנן לקחת יום חופש כדי לבקר באוניברסיטה (סה"כ 40 ק"מ בשחייה). יש לי כמה שאלות לגבי ביקור באוניברסיטה.

ראשית, איך ואם מי מתאמים ביקור כזה? האם יש ימים פתוחים, או שאפשר להגיע בכל יום?

מבחינה תוכנית איך כדי לבנות ביקור כזה? כנראה שלא אוכל להתפנות ליותר מיום אחד ואני רוצה לטעום כמה שיותר מאווירת בית הספר. לראות איזה שיעור או שנים, לדבר עם כמה סטודנטים, לבקר במגורים, וכו'

אני מתכנן להרשם לשנת הלימודים 08/09 כך שיש לי עוד הרבה זמן לנתח את המידע, אבל לא ברור אם יהיו לי עוד הזדמנויות לבקר בחוף המערבי המרוחק.

תודה מראש,

מיכאל

Yasmin
    חבר

To: mishra

Michael –

The admissions office offers class visit, presentation about the school, a tour and lunch with current students. You can sign up to all of these on the web site.

In addition, you are welcome to join me to my classes on the day of your visit. If i will not have any classes that you like to attend, i can find others that will.

So, first see what is available through admissions, than if you have a problem or just want to see more, let me know and i will be happy to arrange this for you

Same for everyone else who is reading this.

Stanford admissions will also host an information session for prospective students in Israel in 3 or 4 weeks, no final date and location yet, but we will keep you all posted

Yasmin

hagruth
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

שלום ליסמין ולפורום סטנפורד,

שמי חגי ואני נרשם בשבוע הבא

אני מחפש קצת מידע על קורסים ספציפים + מרצים כדי לטבל את החיבורים שלי.

אולי תוכלי לעזור?

Yasmin
    חבר

To: hagruth

What i did on my application is check the school's web site and see which classes look interesting to me and will work well with my career aspirations. I recommend checking the GSB web site.

If there is a specific subject you are interested in, let me know and i can help you look at the classes which touch these subjects.

Good luck

Yasmin

By the way, our local alums announced today a local GSB alumni chapter!! congrats to us!!!

LPOW
    חבר

How big is the new GBS chapter in Israel? :)

zefko
    חבר

Hi,
    The official Stanford Chapter in Israel is a brand new one and is just getting started. There are a little more than 40 alums who live in Israel, however there are several more Israelis that did not come back (yet).
    We have just had a meeting with some alums in Israel (as part of the Israeli study trip that we are having) and they are very involved with the school and care a lot about the future of the Israeli students in Stanford.
    In the last few years we saw that the number of Israelis in each class is getting bigger and in the last two classes there were 4-6 Israelis in each class, we hope that the Israeli chapter will be much bigger in the future.

Zefko

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 1 עד 50 (מתוך 241 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.