Home פורומים Admissions Chat aringo Chat Wharton MBA Chat

מוצגות 45 תגובות – 1 עד 45 (מתוך 45 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1368

Online Chat with Alex Brown, Senior Associate Director of Admissions at the Wharton School.

Time: Thursday, August 14th, 5:30 pm Israel time.

Prepare your questions!

Regards,

Gilam Levi

aringo.co.il

aringo
    חבר

First I want to welcome you all to the arigno-IIMBA Wharton Admissions Chat
    I particularly want to welcome to Mr. Alex Brown, Wharton's Senior Associate Director of Admissions. Great to have you with us, Alex
    Thanks to everyone for joining. This is your chance to ask questions about Wharton's program and admissions policies

alexbr wharton
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 21

thanks for having me!

aringo
    חבר

Here are the chat rules and guidelines:

1. Posts are screened and are uploaded gradually. Therefore, you may see your post only after a while. There may not be enough time to present all the posts.

2. If you want to ask a question or start a new topic, please open your message with the letter Q, for example: "Q: do you expect more applicants this year compared to last year?"

3. If you want to comment on the current topic, you may jump right in.

4. The host always asks the first question.

5. Click "REFRESH CHAT" (or press "F5" every few seconds), to see new posts.

6. The chat is in English and lasts up to 90 minutes.

aringo
    חבר

Great to have you here, Alex.

Here comes my question…

Q: Alex, can you update us regarding a significant, recent change in Wharton's admissions process or MBA program?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from August 14 2003

I really do not see any significant changes this year to the admissions process itself. I hope you will see us continue to explore the notion of transparency, so you can get a great sense of wharton, and how to apply, from our web-site … using our own discussion boards and diaries etc (think blogs)

danidin
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 8

What is your policy regarding senior students' admissions eligibility ?

dorgo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 3

Q: With the current difficult job market, does Wharton look at career-shifting candidates unfavorably?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to danidin from August 14 2003

by senior students, I presume you are refering to those still in undergraduate ? if so, I would suggest it is quite difficult to really make the case at that point of your career / life that the 2 year experience will be optimal, and you will be able to contribute valuable insights to your classmates during class discussions, case work ec. and the extracurricular life … its not impossible for sure, but extremely difficult I would think

yonis
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 73

Q: Can an applicant who got admitted to the school ask for a postponment of 1 year for special circumstances?

themarker
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

Q: wharton is well known for its finance program. Does Wharton has programs focused on marketing and/or consulting?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to dorgo from August 14 2003

I would doubt that career-shifting in itself is a problem (many of our students would fall into this category) the problem would lie with those who realy do not know what they want to do post MBA (using MBA to exit something rather than enter something) they would likely struggle due to lack of focus when they get here. We think a plan (y mba, y wharton etc.) is important, it provides discipline to make you successful here.

dorgo
    חבר

Q: Can you please give us a notion of the kind of relationship that Wharton has with the Private-Equity industry ?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to yonis from August 14 2003

asking a postponment is no problem, getting one is the real question … and while we do grant deferrals under extraordinary circumstances (personal, can't get visa) it is not standard policy.

Klier
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 18

Q: While researching a University to pursue my graduate studies, Wharton clearly came to mind as one of the top business schools in the United States. In addition to choosing the right candidates, what do you think makes Wharton as successful as it is?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to themarker from August 14 2003

yes, for marketing we have problably THE most productive marketing faculty across business schools in terms of research, so the major is very strong … while we do not have an industry specific major for consulting, we have many consultants here taking advantage of the finance, strat. management, marketing, entrpreneurial management majors for example … we basically have about 17 majors in all.

alexbr wharton
    חבר

wharton is strong in PE, esp. the LBO side, plenty of alums in the area, strong PE club, you can actually major in PE, although it is still considered an individualized major rather than one on the books

themarker
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

Q: is it really prefered to apply as soon as possible? will I damage my chances if I apply only on the 2nd round?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to Klier from August 14 2003

our success lies in our curriculum (depth and breadth unmatched anywhere), the culture of the school for sure (innovation etc.) the unmatched extracurricular opportunites and due to the variety of what we offer, the natural consequence is the diversity of the student body, here we attract ppl from around the world, with different backgrounds, interest and goals, great for a learning enviro.

aringo
    חבר

Q Alex, people asked me this a few times, let's clarify it once and for all:

If they take the GMAT by the round deadline, but have their AWA score (for essays) only a couple of weeks later, is that OK?

Gilam

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to themarker from August 14 2003

apply when you are ready to apply, R1 or R2 … try to avoid R3.

danidin
    חבר

Q: I know there is no minimum required GPA, yet what would you consider as a threshold (on a 0-100 scale) ? What conversion table do you use to compare this scale with the 0-4 scale ?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

yes, as long as the test is taken, and the score from the test date can be provided (without awa) that qualifies for that round

alexbr wharton
    חבר

we do not convert from different scales, and I would hesitate to offer a cut off on the 0 100 since these scales vary themselves region to region.

yonis
    חבר

Q: Are there any programs in the Wharton MBA that give students exposer to international aspects – like studying for 1 semester in another country, a dual degree in international studies?

What are the requirements for acceptance to such programms?

What is the registration process to such programms?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

plenty of international opps … from GIP, GCP, international exchanges with about 11 schools … we also have an alliance w/ insead, that allows for a quarter in fountainbleau or singapore, I am be misisng things here … apply for these programs when you get here

aringo
    חבר

Alex, we really appreciate all these informative comments!

Wharton accepted 12-13 Israelis last year (maybe an all-time record). Do you expect /believe that Wharton may break or equal this record this year?

mikik
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 54

Q: how does W view applicants who are young at age, and therefore their work experience is mainly before or during their undergraduate degree, but in relevant areas of practice?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

I do not know, we do not have a deliberate plan for each country, we do however hope for a great mix across countries … we are coming to tel aviv for a reception (oct 29) for the first time for a while so hopefully that will stimulate added interest

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to mikik from August 14 2003

age is not the issue, professional maturity, learnings and outcomes from experiences, focus on plan and know why you want to be here, these are some of the more important factors, of course age is a proxy for these issues …

danidin
    חבר

Q: Do you take into account the undergraduate institution of an applicant or just compare him with the demographic average ? Is there a specific addmissions committee member handling all the applications based on nationality ?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

we have regional expertise for sure … and we do not simply consider what are perceived to be the bext schools in each region we look at how well ppl did where ever they went, how they took advantage of the situation etc.

yonis
    חבר

Q: Does Wharton have any minimum requirements as far as the diffrent parts of GMAT or TOEFL go?

Are there any minimum requirements in the verbal/quantitive/aw parts of the GMAT?

Are there any minimum requirements in the listening/reading etc. parts of the TOEFL?

Q: are there any minimum scores for the GMAT/TOEFL exams – meaning scores that below them an applicant would hinder his/her chances of acceptance to the school?

aringo
    חבר

In reply to alexbr wharton from August 14 2003

Alex, can you elaborate a bit about the process that an admitted candidate goes through – how much time to they have to provide their school selection decision? Can this period be extended? This issue comes up with people applying to Wharton in the first round and to other schools in the second round.

alexbr wharton
    חבר

we do not publish minimums, nor really have them since once in a while you risk the chance of discouraging a real good person from applying who falls below the minimum for reasons of poor standardized test taking skills or whatever… that being said, w/ the GMAT, scores below the 80% on the quant and / or verbal may raise a "red flag" and make us a little more cautious … but of course we look at this within the context of the toefl, essays, gpa or equivalent etc.

alexbr wharton
    חבר

April 30 is the deadline for letting us know, R1 or R2 … we do not lock ppl into early decision making … if someone is admitted in R1 they have from mid december until April 30 to make their correct choice … last thing we need is someone here who was uncertain this was their best choice … this is something I am pretty passionate about, freedom of choice for business school selection on the part of the candidate

aringo
    חבר

Does anyone want to raise any additional topics for discussion? Or to post a follow-up question on one of Alex's replies? If so, go ahead now. Otherwise we will wrap it up here.

odrp
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 293

Alex, I'm interested in visiting Wharton prior to submitting my application. As the first round deadline is Oct. 16, can visits be scheduled in late-September and not in October, as stated in your web-site?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to odrp from August 14 2003

yes, late september, I think beginning Sept 26 or so would work.

dorgo
    חבר

Alex – thank you very much for the information so far !.

I was wondering – I plan to Visit Wharton in September to learn more about the community there – are there any kind of specific events or attractions I should focus on ?

Klier
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 18

Q: My background is in technology and I would like my MBA to specialize in technology and finance – although I have no formal backround in finance. Would I be at a disadvantage against a candidate with a pure finance degree?

alexbr wharton
    חבר

I would plan to spend a couple of days here if you can … go to classes, lunch w/ students etc. thursdays we have mba pub which is quite popular for ppl visiting, and you get to see a little different side of wharton

alexbr wharton
    חבר

In reply to Klier from August 14 2003

our job is to teach finance … I think what is more important is to have a realistic and well developed plan for being here …

aringo
    חבר

Alex, on behalf of all participants, of the IIMBA and of aringo, I want to thank you for being here with us today and for taking the time to so diligently answer the questions. This is a good reflection of Wharton's open, transparent and friendly culture.

We look forward to seeing you here in Tel Aviv in October. Thanks again.

alexbr wharton
    חבר

thanks for having me, and good luck to everyone! Cheers, Alex

מוצגות 45 תגובות – 1 עד 45 (מתוך 45 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.