Home פורומים Admissions Chat aringo Chat Columbia MBA Chat

מוצגות 47 תגובות – 1 עד 47 (מתוך 47 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • aringoadmin
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 183

Reminder: you need to click "refresh" every few minutes to view the chat and it's progress.

This is your opportunity to demonstrate your interest in the school! (and, yes, you can mention your participation in the essays).

Online MBA Chat with Ms. Linda Meehan, Head of Admissions, the Columbia Graduate School of Business.

Time: Wednesday, November 12, at 19:00 Israel time.

Host: Gilam Levi of aringo.co.il

(according to the agreement with the IIMBA, aringo is using its meetings with admission committees to organize chats for IIMBA forum members)

Gilam – aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 60

Chat rules reminder:

1. Each forum member may post up to 50 messages and replies per chat. You may refer a question to any of the participants and may reply to their answers.

2. Posts are screened and are uploaded gradually. Therefore, you may see your post only after a while.

3. Click "REFRESH CHAT" (or press "F5" every few seconds), to see new posts.

4. You may call the admission committee members by their first name (some people asked about this).

5. The chat is in English and lasts about 60 minutes.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

I want to welcome you all to the Columbia Chat of the Israeli International MBA Association and aringo. I particularly want to welcome Ms. Linda Meehan, Vice Dean for Admissions and Financial Head (yes, she can tell you all the schoarship secrets…) of the Columbia Graduate School of Business.

Thank you all for joining us today. This is your chance to ask questions about Colubmia's program

, admissions policies, career opportunities, and student life.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Let me kick off our discussion with a question:

Linda, many of this forum's members are now in the process of applying to Columbia. What would be one piece of advice that you can give them for succeeding in this process?

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 35

It's my pleasure to be here today and thank you for inviting us to join you.

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

I would only advise them to do their homework about the school and do the very best job possible on their applications. Do everything you can to pressent the strongest application possible.

gbiron
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 213

Linda Hello,

First of all thanks for sparing some time to answer our questions. My question is simple, I read at certain places that this year there have been less apllications to MBA program and wnated to know if it is so at Columbia as well?

Thanks,

Gbiron

cordelia
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

Hello,

What should approximately be the division between professional issues and experience and personal experience and background in answering the essays questions?

Should I emphasize more the professional side or since I suppose to write my detailed professional history, you are more interested to recognize my personal side on the essays?

Thanks.

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to gbiron from November 12 2003

Although it is still early to predict how the applications will end up, most all schools are down in their numbers including Columbia.

gbiron
    חבר

In reply to Linda Meehan Columbia from November 12 2003

Will that help or hurt the applicants ?

Another question if possible, do you have up to date recruitment stats ?

thanks again,

Gbiron

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

The professional side of you comes through the application through your resume, as well as through your recommendations. The essays give you an opportunity to talk about both personal as well as professional experience. It will depend on what you choose to write. There is no right answer here…it is really just as important to choose your topic wisely as it is to answer the questions being asked.

hashman
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

Hello Linda,

My question is about the January program. Do the students in that program receive the same help in regards to career development and post-MBA placement?

Thank you,

Harel

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

Given that we receive far more applications than we can accept, the actual decrease will have little effect on whether it helps or hurts. The important thing for us is knowing that the quality of the pool continues to strengthen and has over the years. I do not expect that this will change.

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

If you are asking about placement, these statistics are not posted until after graduation. What we are seeing currently indicates a slight improvement in the economy. Specifically we are seeing more internships available and our students being hired into these internships. This is a very good sign. Over the last year when the economy was so slow, the good news was that our students were being hired but it was taking a little longer than what we had seen in the past. Being in New York has been an enormous advantage for our students to maintain constant contact with employers.

yair_sega
    חבר

When do you expect answers to be mailed to those who submitted their application for the ED?

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

Yes, the January students have all of the same benefits, same experiences that the September students will have. The only difference is that the January Term is designed for those who do not need or want an internship. Their resumes and work experience as well as their network with serve in place of the internship. However, during recruitment they will go to presentations and sign up for interviews within the Career Service Office. They also have the same advantages in using our amazing Alumni Data Base which includes our graduates from around the world.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Guys, note that you may not immediately see the message that you posted. Questions and comments are uploaded gradually to allow Linda time to respond to the previous ones… also, we give preference to people who use their username over people who ask as an "undisclosed member".

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Thank you, Linda, for helping Israeli applicants with all your answers here. Can you please tell us about one of the factors that, in your view, makes Columbia a leading business school?

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to yair_sega from November 12 2003

Early Decision applicants can expect to receive their decisions within 4-10 weeks of a completed application.

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

I'm not sure the last answer went through….ED applicants can expect their decisions within 4-10 weeks after a completed application has been received.

Hanochp
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 5

Linda hi, its great to have you here again.

Can you please comment on the RL status? What kind of additional information do you usually get (or expect to get)? How many RL are in the pool?

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to Gilam – aringo from November 12 2003

This is very difficult to answer in this format. What makes Columbia unique has to do with the quality of the program and how we are able to capitalize on the wealth of resources in this city. We are able to utilize people who have reached the pinnacle of their careers to share with our students what they did to have reached their goals. These professionals are guests in the classes, they are often used as practitioner faculty who will teach the practice alongside of the theory being taught by our faculty. This happens daily at Columbia because of who we are and where we are.

Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

What do you mean by RL status?

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to Hanochp from November 12 2003

What do you mean by RL status?

cordelia
    חבר

What is the first date that I could come to visit the campus in January, since I want to do it before submitting my application and I want to visit the campus when I could also sit in one of the classes. I also want to ask how many Israeli students are studying at CBS at the moment. And do you have hopes to increase this number?

Thanks for your time.

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to Undisclosed Member from November 12 2003

Let me assure you that there is no school policy regarding countries. Each year we receive applications from people all over the world. They are read in the order that they have been received. At any time during their review they may be invited to interview. The determination of whether to do an interview is dependent on what it is we are looking for which is not clear in the application. Sometimes we ask for the interview because we may feel that you do not know enough about us…this then gives you the opportunity to learn more about Columbia Business School. There are times when we admit without an interview.

When comparing numbers of students at each school, take a look first at the size of the class to understand the actual number represented.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

The fact that Linda, the Vice Dean of Admissions and Financial Aid, is here tonight, for the second time in the past 6 months, patiently answering questions, tells us something about Columbia's interest in Israeli applicants, doesn't it?

Gilam

Hanochp
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 5

I mean the reconsider later status. People who submitted ED and are placed to be reconsidered within the broader pool (I actually thought RL is the formal name?!)

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to cordelia from November 12 2003

Since I do not have the holiday schedule in front of me, I would suggest that you go to our web site to see when classes are in session. Prior to the December holidays, students are taking exams. Then they will leave for the winter break. On January 5th, Orientation for the entering January Class begins. These are not good times to visit. Classes will resume in mid-January. You should allow for a week or so before visiting after classes resume. Otherwise you will not be witness to normal classroom interaction.

sharon_g
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 36

Do the school has any special help/program for young mother who wants to combine school with motherhood??

gbiron
    חבר

Linda,

Could you give us some information regarding financial aid programs that the school has?

thanks,

Gbiron

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

We have to wrap up soon… let's quickly sneak in a few more questions.

cordelia
    חבר

Are there any scholarships to MBA students at CBS? What should I do in order to be entitled?

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to Hanochp from November 12 2003

Thanks for the support.

The RL status is what we call a LATR status. When people apply ED and we feel they are very strong applicants they are admitted. Remember we are looking at a much smaller pool of applicants at this time so the application needs to be a strong one. When an applicant is a good applicant but not as strong in all areas we will place them in the LATER pool to see how they look within this larger group. Sometimes there are noticeable weaknesses which we hope they will address during this time. We tell them when they will be reassessed and will give them an opportunity to strengthen if they choose.

gbiron
    חבר

Linda,

Could you please give us information regarding the financial aspects, meaning the average price of living two years in N.Y and how the school can help with scholarship and such.

Thanks,

Gbiron

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

I have several questions:

1) Your regular decision deadline is only in 2 months. If I submit my application beforehand, is there a possibility it will be reviewed prior to the deadline ?

2) What scholarships do you offer ? (need, merit)

3) Regarding essay question #4 – the second option "If you had a free day …". Can you explain what you want to learn from this essay?

Thank you very much

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Sorry, my mistake, we are not wrapping up yet… we have about 10 more minutes…

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

I'm not sure I will be able to get to answer all of your questions posted. So please go to our Financial Aid web site for full details on our Fellowships as well as our loan program.

As to the deadlines for international applicants there are two. The first deadline is if you are applying for Fellowship which is merit based. This has to do with an evaluation of your academics including your GMAT and your TOEFL. It also will include your work success as well as your well roundedness.

The final deadline for international applicants is March 1st.

hashman
    חבר

Thank you, Linda.

Some more questions regarding the January program, if I may.

As I understand, during the second year, the January and September students share the same elective courses and there is a chance to get to know and network with them as well. Is that correct?

In addition, is there a difference in the ratio of number of applications to the number of seats in the program between the January and the September programs?

yair_sega
    חבר

What is the averege waiting time for the ED answers?

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

Hi Linda,

I applied for the ED2004. Will I be able to receive feedback regarding my application – if not admitted?

thanks

D

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

Essay #4 is designed to give us some insight into who you are as a person. We want to try and get to know you as it is important for us. Applications are pieces of paper and we are trying to breath some real life into who you are.

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

In reply to hashman from November 12 2003

If you choose January, you will have exactly the same opportunities minus the opportunity to do an internship. The students who you will go to class with in your first two semesters are January students. These are your core classes. You will be able to take an elective in your first year and will interact with September students here. Then in your last two semesters, which are all electives you will share your classes with both January and September students. All clubs and organizations are shared by both September and January as well as the opportunities for school leadership.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

All – unfortunately, we are limited to one hour and have to wrap up.

Linda, thank you so much for taking the time (and energy!) to answer all those questions from this side of the globe… you have done a wonderful job!

In the name of aringo, the Israeli International MBA Association, and all Israeli applicants, thank you.

Gilam

Linda Meehan Columbia
    חבר

Thank all of you for participating in this chat. I have enjoyed sharing the excitement and opportunites that Columbia Business School has to offer. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly through our apply mail box or call us at 212-854-1961, if we may answer any questions. Please come and visit us here in the greatest city in the world. Thank you…and have a nice evening. Linda

Ohad Shperling
    חבר

To: dalit

Hi dalit,

I've seen a note from you in the Colombia forum and understood that you are interested in MBA in the marketing field.

I'm interested in this area too and would be happy to share some information about the opportunities in this field.

Can you contact me/send me your contact information. thanks

My mail: [email protected]

Cel: 050-7210458

מוצגות 47 תגובות – 1 עד 47 (מתוך 47 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.