Home פורומים Admissions Chat aringo Chat NYU MBA Chat

מוצגות 42 תגובות – 1 עד 42 (מתוך 42 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • aringoadmin
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 183

Online MBA Chat with the NYU Stern School of Business.

Participants:

Ms. Paula Steisel, Admission Committee Chairman.

Ms. Shelley Poniachek, second year MBA Student.

Time: Monday, October 27, at 19:00 Israel time.

Host: Gilam Levi of aringo.co.il

If you are interested in NYU, this is an outstanding opportunity to ask all your questions about its program, admissions policies, career opportunities, and student life.

Notice the chat rules:

1. Each forum member may post up to 50 messages and replies per chat. You may refer a question to any of the participants and may reply to their answers.

2. Posts are uploaded gradually. Therefore, you may see your post only after a while, or may not see it if there is not enough time.

3. Click "REFRESH CHAT" (or press "F5" every few seconds), to see new posts.

4. You may call the admission committee members by their first name (some people asked about this).

5. The chat is in English and lasts about 60 minutes.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 60

I want to welcome you all to the IIMBA-aringo NYU Chat. I particularly want to welcome Ms. Paula Steisel, Head of Admissions of the NYU School of Business and Shelley Ponchiak, second year MBA student.

Thank you all for joining us today. This is your chance to ask questions about NYU's program

, admissions policies, career opportunities, and student life.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Here is a quick review of our chat rules for this evening:

1. Each forum member may post up to 50 messages and replies per chat.

2. Posts are uploaded gradually. Therefore, you may see your post only after a while.

3. Click "REFRESH CHAT" (or press "F5" every few seconds), to see new posts.

4. You may call the admission committee members by their first name.

5. The chat is in English and lasts about 60 minutes.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Let me kick off our discussion with the first question:

Paula, what is the most significant, latest new development in NYU's MBA program?

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Paula, are you with us?

Ayelet
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 3

Hi Paula,

I am an alumnus of Stern Undergraduate School (June ’97) and hope to have the opportunity to return for my MBA. I have a strong academic background (GPA 3.4, w/ majors in Finance & Marketing) and 5 years work experience in various finance-related positions (last 3 years in corporate banking at a global institution). My weakness: the GMAT! In your view, how much weight will be given to the GMAT score (in my case) – Your advice will help me plan my next steps and prioritize….

Ayelet

Paula – NYU
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 18

NYU Stern is doing some very exciting programming. We have our new programming which allows students to customize their academics in their second year. We have over 22 specializations including technology, entertainment and media, internatioal finance etc.

dani
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

Hi Paula and Shelley,

First of all, thank you very much for joining this chat session!

I have a few questions:

1. Essay question no 2 refers to the most difficult constructive feedback I have received. The constructive feedback I would like to write about were various market conditions and developments which made me act differently (and not feedback from a person) is that OK?

2. Does NYU foster teamwork or a cluster approach?

3. technical question: Can my recommendors submit their recommendations online after Oct. 31st?

4. Financial question: Does my ability to completely support the MBA + living expenses play a role in the admission process?

Your answer are much appreciated,

Daniella

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to Ayelet from October 27 2003

Shalom Ayelet! I am pleased to hear of your interest in Stern. The GMAT is only one factor that we review in evaluating your application. We will look very closely at your academics, your work experience, your professional background and your personal charachteristics.

mikik
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 54

Dear Paula,

I'm in the midst of writing my essays, and I'm really a bit lost about #3. What is the "creativity" you are relating to? Do you mean a description of mine which is personal other them professional?

Thanks, M

cordelia
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

Hello Paula and Shelley,

Thank you for your time and the opportunity to ask questions.

I find the third subject of the NYU essays very unique. Could you elaborate a little to what the admission council expects and what it wants to find out on candidate from this kind of subject?

Thanks.

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to dani from October 27 2003

Shalom Daniella,

We will respond to each of your questions:

1. You can certainly write about a variety of topics. Please demonstrate how it affected you personally. There are many different ways and topics that you can choose.

2. Stern will place you into groups of 3-5 people with people from different professional, geographical, educational backgrounds. Shelley: It is one of the best things about my experience- I have met people from all over the world that I would not have met otherwise including Pakistan, China, Russia, Brazil, etc.

3. You can have recommenders submit after October 31. Please make sure they are using our full time website for the online recommendations system.

4. Many scholarships are available!!! We do not look at your financial background as part of your admissions review.

Best of luck!

Paula and Shelley

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hi M,

You can choose from any medium. It could be an essay, photo, board game etc to describe yourself. You are not limited but certainly welcome to submit an essay. We are looking to learn more about you than what is written in other areas of your application.

Paula

Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Paula,

I understand that I can't see what my recommender wrote. But one of my recommenders is a very busy and important man. In addition, he doesn't fully know what a good recommendation look like – what is expected of him. Can I give him an example of the kind of recommendation I would have loved to get from him (this way, I can also refresh his memory regarding specific examples from our mutual experience, etc.)? I will not know what he sent, and will not see what he sent, i will not even know if he used the example I gave him.

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to cordelia from October 27 2003

We are not expecting anything specific. It is great opportunity for you to provide additional unique information about yourself that can make you stand out!

Paula

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to Undisclosed Member from October 27 2003

Hi,

I certainly think it is helpful for you to have a conversation with your recommender and prepare him/her for why you are choosing an MBA and what the school expects of their candidates. You may want to provide him with your resume as well. Shelley found this helpful when she was preparing her recommenders.

Paula

uri007
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 4

Paula hi,

1. With respect to the 4th essay (additional information) – what should it include? would you recommend me to write and explain weak areas of my application in this essay (i.e. low GMAT score)?

2. Are there any scheduled events of Stern in Israel in the next months?

Uri

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to uri007 from October 27 2003

Uri, Shalom!

1. We often find that it is a great opportunity for applicants to share more information about areas of their application that may not be as strong as other areas. Some applicants also use this as an opportunity to share information about an activity or club that they are involved in.

2. We have alumni events throughout the year in Israel. We have a very strong alumni group. We invite applicants to the program to alumni events. In addition, we have a program where current students will call applciants while they are in Israel over Winter and Spring Breaks.

Paula

Ayelet
    חבר

Hi again,

What is Stern's general view/preference in regards to admitting a married couple – should this issue be addressed in the application?

Thanks

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hi,

We evaluate both candidates individually. Shelley mentioned that there are at least two couples in her class. On a side note, we have fantastic housing for married students- a huge plus!

Paula

eranzack
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

Dear Paula,

Is it possible to submit three recommendations?

Thanks,

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to eranzack from October 27 2003

Hi Eran,

You are welcome to submit more than two recommendations. It is always helpful to have additional recommendations provide a different perspective.

Paula

dani
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

Thank you very much!

What do you especailly look for in your admission process – any special attributes?

Do you regard placement prospects in the process – for example – if the high tech sector does not recruit too many people now, and the applicant aims for a career in the high-tech industry – would this be a weak point for this applicant?

What were the placement percentages for non US Stern alumni in 2003?

I have received a mistaken email that provided me with information regarding the part time MBA program – who do I talk to regarding this mishap?

thanks again, Daniella

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to dani from October 27 2003

Daniella,

You are more than welcome to email me about any confusion regarding the Part time MBA program. ([email protected])

We are looking for applicants who have a strong academic background, will become a leader in the Stern community, and who enjoy and contribute to teamwork.

We do not have those numbers yet regarding 2003. Please feel free to check our website at http://www.stern.nyu.edu for the direct link to the Office of Career Development. You will be able to review placement statistics for previous years.

Shelley says: It has been helpful to have a clear idea of what I want to do but it is not carved in stone. It will change a few times until you finish school. Be true to what you really want to do. If you are passionate about that in your application, it will shine through.

dar
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

Questions for NYU Stern chat (Ms. Paula Steisel and Ms. Shelley Poniachek)

1. NYU is known for having a strong Finance background – yet I am interested in pursuing a major in Marketing. Can you tell me the advantages of this major over other schools?
    2. What is the popularity of marketing concentration (% of graduates who pursue jobs in marketing)?
    3. About how many marketing courses are available (Any web site to view the list)?
    4. What does the admissions committee look for in a potential candidate? How is this different than other leading schools?
    5. How has the recent hi-tech and economic ‘crash’ affect MBA admission at Stern?
    6. Does a full-time MBA enable you to work part-time?
    7. How can I contact Israeli NYU alumni?
    8. What are the criteria and considerations for NYU scholarships?

Thank you for your reply.

Hila

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

Shelley, what do you find most exciting about NYU compared to what you know about other schools?

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hila,

1. We have a wonderful marketing department. In fact, it is one of the top areas that students choose to major in. Our new Deputy Dean, Dean Winer, wrote the marketing textbook that is used in most major business schools.

Many students choose to focus their program in marketing. Last year, many students chose to concentrate their careers in marketing- corporations such as Johnson and Johnson, American Express, IBM, Microsoft etc.

Please visit our website at http://www.stern.nyu.edu for a full listing of departments and courses.

We look for strong academics, personal charachteristics and achievements and we look closely at your work history. We also want to learn about you as a person which is why we ask our Essay #3 and why we interview every candidate that is admitted.

It has not affected our admissions process- we still look for a diverse student body.

Yes. Many students choose to work a few hours a week at a company to get work experience. We also offer graduate assistantships and teaching fellowships. This is a very popular option.

Please email our student recruiters at [email protected]. They can put you in touch with other current students who are from Israel.

Scholarships are based on merit.

Good luck!

Paula and Shelley

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

Hi Paula,

Could you please specify what is most unique in NYU's full-time MBA program in comparison to other schools' programs?

Thank you.

Ayelet
    חבר

Paula,

In the case that I travel to NYC in end-Nov, would it be a good idea to contact Admissions prior to arrival in order to potentially schedule a meeting with an admissions officer (I note that I am already familiar with the School having been a former Stern undergrad student).

Best regards, Ayelet

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hi,

The people! They are much more laid back and fun. There is a good working environment with the teams and not as competitive as other schools I looked at. Being in NYC and the village is fantastic! It is so close to the banks downtown on Wall Street (I can even go during lunch to interview) and midtown where many corporate headquarters are located. It is clearly a huge advantage.

Shelley

Tinbi
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 19

How would you compare the admissions of 2003 to those of 2002? and what are your expectations for 2004?

eshinar
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 43

What is the GMAT average of your students and what is the weight of a very high GMAT score?

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hi,

There are several outstanding qualities about the Stern experience:

1. The people. You have an opportunity to learn from and with a diverse student body. You meet people from all over the world. It is truly an international community of students, faculty and administrators.

2. NY. There is no better place to be a student. Whether it is the social life or professional life, NY offers you an incredible opportunity. All of the 1st year MBA students have an opportunity to go to the Metropolitan Opera and see a dress rehearsal after studying a case about the Opera house.

3. The program. You learn from top faculty and you hear from Corporate speakers regularly. Shelley just attended a session with the CFO of Pfizer. Since they work here, it makes it easy to hear from prestigious speakers and alumni. The program itself is flexible.

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Ayelet,

Absolutely! You can sit in on a class and attend an information session.

Paula

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Well, we have to wrap this up already…

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

HI,

I am married and I just wanted to ask whether my wife will be able to join me in Stern's social events?

Thanks.

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

Hi Paula,

My question is concerning my professional experience. I have no financial experience. I know that every university looks for diverse background of the students, but what should I emphasize in order to enlarge my changes to be a MBA student in NYU (I have a degree in law, experience in high-tech industry and massive background in teaching and instructing).

Thanks.

Paula – NYU
    חבר

In reply to Tinbi from October 27 2003

Hi,

It is difficult for us to forecast what the admissions process will look like this year. Our first deadline is not until December 1. We use the same criteria to evaluate applicants every year.

Paula

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hi,

You wife is welcome to join any of the events. In fact, we have a Partners Club which gives partners an opportunity to meet each other. Ofiten spouses become an important part of the Stern commuity. They sing in the Net Present Vocals (an acapella group), attend Beer Blast every Thursday night and come to lectures.

Paula – NYU
    חבר

Hi,

You do not need financial experience to attend Stern! We have students who come from a wide range of backgrounds (and we have lawyers too!). In fact, only a quarter of our students have a formal business undergraduate major.

Paula

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Paula and Shelley, thank you so much for taking the time (and energy!) to answer all those questions from this side of the globe… you have done an excellent job! Unfortunately, we are limited to one hour and have to wrap up.

In the name of aringo, the IIMBA and all Israeli applicants, thank you.

Gilam

Paula – NYU
    חבר

It was a pleasure to meet all of you! We look forward to receiving your applications. Please feel free to contact us with any questions about the application process or program.

L'hitraot,

Paula and Shelley

מוצגות 42 תגובות – 1 עד 42 (מתוך 42 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.