Home פורומים Admissions Chat aringo Chat Cornell MBA Chat

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 1 עד 50 (מתוך 65 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • aringoadmin
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 183

Cornell Chat

Gilam – aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 60

First, I want to welcome you all to the IIMBA Cornell Admissions Chat.

I particularly want to welcome:

Natalie Grinblat – Director of Admissions and Financial Aid of the Johnson Graduate School of Business at Cornell

Ann Richards – Cornell's Associate Director of Admissions and Financial Aid Director

Amit Nisenbaum – a recent MBA graduate of Cornell and a current BCG Consultant

Yinnon Dolev – a first year student at Cornell's MBA program

Thank you all for joining us today. This is your chance to ask questions about Cornell's MBA program and admission policies.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Here is a quick review of our chat rules for this evening:

1. Each forum member may post up to 50 messages and replies per chat. You may refer a question to any of the above participants and may reply to their answers.

2. Posts are screened and are uploaded gradually. Therefore, you may see your post only after a while.

3. Click "REFRESH CHAT" (or press "F5" every few seconds), to see new posts.

4. You may call the admission committee members by their first name (some people asked me about this).

5. The chat is in English and lasts up to 75 minutes.

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

Great to have you here, Natalie, Ann, Amit and Yinnon.

Here comes my question…

Natalie and Anne, can you update us regarding a significant, recent change in Cornell's admissions process or MBA program?

Yinnon-Cornell
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 11

Shalom everyone.

Thank you for your interest in the Johnson School. We look forward to having personal contact with you.

Natalie

Fawkes
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 12

Hello Ms Grinblat and Ms Richards,

I would like to ask a question regarding how you view the academic institutes Israeli applicants graduated from. Is there a preference towards certain schools? If so, how does it come into effect?

Thanks!

Ann – Cornell
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 14

Welcome to the chat. Natalie seems to be experiencing some technical difficulties, so while we solve this, her answers will be relayed through Yinnon and Ann

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

I'd like to address a couple of points we look for in a candidate – academic strength, which is demonstrated not only through grades, but in choice of discipline as well. We like to see candidates who have challenged themselves academically.

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

In reply to Fawkes from September 02 2003

Great question. We look at the academic rigor of academic institutions of our applicants. If we are unfamilar with an institution, we'll ask our faculty – Natalie

Fawkes
    חבר

Thanks Natalie,

As I gather, the more rigorous – the better right? However, if I'm speculating correctly, someone from a less rigorous program but with outstanding GPA will be as good as someone from a more rigorous program with a lower GPA? Does the academic rigour of the program effect how you look at the application as a whole or just the academic prowess of it?

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

In reply to Gilam – aringo from September 02 2003

In terms of the admissions process, we have added an earlier deadline (priority round) and reduced the number of essays to two required essays to give us the opportunity for a more through review of each application.

On the program side, we have instituted a new analytical thinking thread which requires all our first year students to participate in strategic thinking exercises throughtout their first semester. This is an excellent way to prepare for "real-world" experiences. Amit was part of the team that designed and implemented this program, perhaps he would like to elaborate.

Yinnon-Cornell
    חבר

Hi,

My name is Yinnon Dolev and I am a 1st year student at the Johnson School.

Let me give you a short review about myself. I have a B.A. in Computers Science from the Interdisciplinary center in Herzelia. I have worked in a startup company in the past 3 years. I have a 5 years military service and I am the Director of Business Development at IIMBA.

The school has defintly exceeded my expectations so far. The environment around campus is very collaborative and provides a great variety of activities to be involved in such as: Big Red Ventures – A VC which is managed totally by students or Big red incubator – A consultancy services venture for startup companies in their early stages.

And these are only a small portion.

Fawkes
    חבר

hmm..I think my follow up question got lost somehow..i'll write it again –

Thank you Natalie. As I gather, the more rigorous the program the better right? However, if I am speculating correctly, someone from a less rigour program with high GPA will be just as good as someone from a more rigour program with lower GPA? I would like to sharpen this point – the academic institution you graduated from reflects only on your academic prowess – NOT on your entire application as a candidate?

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

Great question! Historically we strive for excellence in everything we do. We try to recuit the best faculty, train our students to succeed and deliver in their professional lives.

Natalie
    חבר

Fawkes,

We try make every attempt to see that our students will succeed in the program academically. It's not as clear cut as GPA. The major, the courseload, the courses, the grades, and the GMAT help us determine if someone will be able to succeed in the program. This is just one aspect of the screening process. Others include the more subjective qualities Ann is dicussing in another post.

Natalie

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

In reply to Gil Horsky from September 02 2003

Gil, we look for candidates who are focused, dynamic and results oriented. We want candidates to have the drive and intelectual capacity for success.

Gil Horsky
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 6

In reply to Ann – Cornell from September 02 2003

Hi Ann and Natalie,

What suggestions can you offer to people who are currently writing the Johnson essays?

Natalie
    חבר

In reply to Natalie from September 02 2003

That would be "discuss" not "dicuss".

Natalie

Fawkes
    חבר

Natalie,

I understand, what you are saying is that you use the school as one paramater to establish a candidate's academic abbilities?

Amit
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 36

I will be happy to elaborate more about the Analytical Thinking Thread. The ATT is an excellent example to the attentiveness of the Johnson School’s faculty and administration to the rising needs in the marketplace. Recent economy trends forced companies to cut back on resources and to extract the most from each one of their employees. As such the MBAs that are recruited now are required to really be on the cutting edge of the management practice. The ability to analyze complex problems in a structured way quickly and persuasively communicate the analysis is at the core of the management profession.

We at the Johnson School designed a series of workshops and practice sessions that provide both the theory but more than that the practice of such capabilities. We know that this is a unique offering that will distinguish our students and will provide them with an advantage over their competitors.

This a great example of the real life education that the Johnson School experience is based on.is

Natalie
    חבר

Chatters,

Please tell me a little about yourselves. What are your interests? Why are you applying to MBA programs? I can tailor the information to your needs.

Natalie

Natalie
    חבר

Fawkes,

Yes, we use the educational background as one parameter.

Natalie

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

Gil,

In addition to addressing the question, you need to be able to "tell your story" well. We are looking at students who know what they want out of their business education and why the Johnson School can help them achieve their goals.

naftali
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 8

Hi Natalie & Ann ,

My question is : How do you consider full time work experience while earning a BA degree ?

Thanks,

Naftali

dannyl
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

Hello everyone and than you for your help.

Amit, what made you choose Cornell of all MBA schools ?

Retrospectively, what did not meet your expectations ?

Amit
    חבר

In reply to dannyl from September 02 2003

What made me chose the Johnson School over other options I had was the dynamic, challenging though collaborative environment of the school. I was looking for a place that will take me to the next level but will also allow me to make a difference. I can tell you that in this aspect and others the Johnson School exceeded my expectations.

One thing we can do better is to market ourselves better. I was and still am disappointed from the lack of recognition of this great school internationally. We are improving this exponentially but we have still a way to go.

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

In reply to naftali from September 02 2003

Naftali,

We look at the quality of your work experience, not just the years of experience. We understand the difficulty involved with combining full time work with full time study. Were you able to balance work and professional demands, did you succeed at both? If you worked while you were attending school, it is important that you highlight your professional and academic successes.

Natalie
    חבר

Gil,

One great way to begin an achievements essay is to ask yourself the question, "what would not have happened had I not been a member of this organization?" Try to tie that in with the results you gained from your organization or for a client. Also, be succint (forget what you learned in writing 101…this should reflect business writing). Before writing essays, you do need to do a lot of self-analysis. After writing the essays, give yourself enough time to edit. Make sure you have someone review the essays for clarity of thought and typos. I can't tell you how many times I see people write, "my roll as a manger" instead of "my role as a manager". Spell check will not pick that up.

Natalie

naftali
    חבר

Thank you Ann,

Do you consider also the fact that we ,as Isrelis , went to the army and therefore in some "drawback" from other poeple in the world. f I will take my experience, I have served for 4 years in the army as an officer , went to the University to eran my BA ( and working fuul time) — this have made me 26 years old but still post graduate, while my American friends , in my age , have already finished college and have 4 years of work experience .

Thanks,

Naftali

Natalie
    חבר

Chatters,

What are your interests?

Natalie

Fawkes
    חבר

Natalie,

I's sorry to dwell on this but it is very important to me and I want to be sure I understand you perfectly – the educational background is used as a parameter ONLY to assess the academic abillities of a candidate – NOT the whole application or the candidate itself?

Amit
    חבר

Ann

Can you please elaborate a little bit more about what do applicants need to clarify when they have substantial amount of work experience in parallel to their studies? Many Israelis have this in their resume but struggle to explain that the work was substantial. How can they do that efficiently? In addition, how common is it to see such an experience on a resume of an American applicant? Will it differentiate an applicant?

Natalie – Can you answer the same questions but for meaningful military experience?

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

Fawkes,

Your educational record is only one of the factors we look at when we review your application.

Ann

Gil Horsky
    חבר

In reply to Amit from September 02 2003

Hi Amit,

Can explain some more about the Immersion learning, and what kind of practical "tools" it gave you for your current position?

Natalie
    חבר

Fawkes,

Why don't you call me, so we can talk about your specific concerns. Our number is 607-255-4526.

Natalie

Fawkes
    חבר

Ann,

I understand that, but I wish to know if it only reflects on my "academic abillity" (which is constituted by other factors as well) or maybe it also reflects on the entire application (i.e. the academic institute attended).

aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1368

Any more questions?

Klier
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 18

Hello,

While researching a University to pursue my graduate studies, Cornell clearly came to mind as one of the top business schools in the United States. In addition to choosing the right candidates, what do you think makes Cornell as successful as it is?

Natalie
    חבר

Amit,

Thanks for bringing Israelie specific issues to the chat. In terms of military experiences, you want to explain how you were able to assess a situation, determine a goal, rally a team (your troops) around that goal, implement the goal, and get results. The military experience often brings out one's leadership capabilities. You need to help us understand what your leadership capabilities are.

Natalie

Fawkes
    חבר

Thank you very much Natalie, that is very kind of you. Will it be ok though if it won't be today?

Gil Horsky
    חבר

In reply to Natalie from September 02 2003

I am extremely interested in the Johnson's Brand Management Immersion, can you tell me a bit more about it?

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

Amit, it is unusual for US applicants to have substantial work experience while earning their undergraduate degree. But many international applicants have full-time work experience while earning their undergraduate degree. Candidates who do work while enrolled in school can highlight their professional accomplishments and achievements. List major projects they've worked on, promotions they've received. We want to see candidates who are able to gain valuable experiences from both their professional and educational experiences. We like to see applicants who work full time, have to maturity to take advantage of educational opportunities.

Ann

Amit
    חבר

Immersions are the way the Johnson School allows you to specialize in a certain field. They are a semester long “threads” that are taken during the second semester of the first year. There are six immersions that are Brand Management, Semester in Manufacturing, Managerial Finance, Investment Banking, Entrepreneurship and Private Equity, Research Sales and Trading. During these immersions you will not only learn the theory about the field but will also get hands on experience in the practicum part of the immersions. You will take part in projects at Wall Street, visit plants and discuss real life problems with the managers, chat with Entrepreuers and Venture Capitalists about their burning problems etc.

Most importantly! The immersions allow you to:

1. Signal to your potential employers that you are serious about their field and industry.
    2. Get hands on experience even before your summer internship which is unique to the Johnson School.
    3. Take many more electives during the second year from the Johnson School and Cornell.

As for how did it help me, in a minute.

Gil Horsky
    חבר

Natalie,

Can you maybe tell us which kind of candidates in your opinion is the best fit for the Johnson school?

Gil Horsky
    חבר

Ann,

Do you recommend applying in the first round? What are usually the differences in the acceptance rate, between round 1 and round 2?

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

In reply to Klier from September 02 2003

Klier,

Great question! Historically we strive for excellence in everything we do. We try to recuit the best faculty and train our students to succeed and deliver in their professional lives.

Ann

Natalie
    חבר

Fawkes,

You may call me tomorrow. Ann or Kim can also answer this question on a phone call if I am not here.

Natalie

Gilam – aringo
    חבר

OK, we have to wrap this up. There is room for one last question…

Gilam

naftali
    חבר

Natalie, Ann,Amit &Yinnon,

Amit has mentioned several time in the MBA conventions I have participated in the fact that in Cornell there is a very warm and personal relationship between the students and the faculty / administaration . I must admit , he was the only one from all the alumni/students from different universities to mention that . this issue is important to me , because I seek to learn from people and their experiences and belive it can be achived when the personal attention is given to each individual . Can you tell more about it ?

Thanks,

Naftali

Ann – Cornell
    חבר

Gil,

We encourage students to apply early. It's particularly important for international candidates to apply by the January 15 round (for the 2-year program) or December 15 (for the Twelve-Month option). This will give you plenty of time to secure your student visa.

Ann

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 1 עד 50 (מתוך 65 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.