Home פורומים הפורומים Forum: תהליך הקבלה ארכיון 1: שאל את ארינגו: תהליך הקבלה

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 151 עד 200 (מתוך 1,134 סה״כ)
  • מאת
    תגובות
  • Undisclosed Member
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 48

Gilam,

How would you rank LBS vs. Wharton, Columbia and NYU, Do you think its worth the investment? Would the US schools position you better in the Israeli market? would it be easier to find work abroad with a US education?

Thanks

עומר
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 49

גילם. מה דעתך על קורנל? זה נחשב בטופ? יש סיכוי טוב לישראלים למצוא עבודה אחרי הלימודים?

ariele
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1

Hi Gilam,

I was wondering if you can give some ideas of appropriate programs, preferably general management oriented.

GMAT 660, B.Sc. at computer science, avg. 78

work exp: 3 years, at a software company and 4 years as an logistic officer.

Thanks a lot,

Ariel

aringo
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 1368

In reply to Undisclosed Member from October 03 2003

Gilam,

How would you rank LBS vs. Wharton, Columbia and NYU, Do you think its worth the investment? Would the US schools position you better in the Israeli market? would it be easier to find work abroad with a US education?

For starters, if your goal is to work in the US, it is strongly recommended that you pursue your MBA in the US. In Europe, LBS is, as far as I can tell, as strong a name as Columbia and Wharton. In the US, Wharton, Columbia and NYU carry significantly more weight with corporate employers. In the Israeli market, what matters most is where you worked abroad after school, and how you can use this experience to help your employer. Based on my experience, prior personal acquaintance (directly or indirectly) also matters here significantly more than in the US and Europe.

Hope this helps,

Gilam

aringo
    חבר

In reply to עומר from October 04 2003

גילם. מה דעתך על קורנל? זה נחשב בטופ? יש סיכוי טוב לישראלים למצוא עבודה אחרי הלימודים?

עומר, קורנל בהחלט נחשבת "טופ" בארה"ב – היא מדורגת בד"כ במקום 10-15 מבין יותר מ- 3000 תוכניות MBA. התוכנית אינטימית ומאוד תומכת בסטודנטים שלה במהלך ולאחר הלימודים. ההתמחות שלי היא בתהליך הקבלה, אני פחות מכיר את המצב מבחינת תעסוקה. ממה שאני שומע, חלק מהישראלים מוצאים עבודה מעולה לאחר הלימודים, וחלק מוצאים עבודה טובה אך מתקשים בכך יותר מבעבר בשל המיתון בארה"ב. לא ידוע לי על מישהו שלא מצא, אבל אני גם לא מעודכן במצב של כל הבוגרים שלהם מהתקופה האחרונה.

שנה טובה,

גילעם

aringo
    חבר

In reply to or_shachar from October 04 2003

גילעם, שלום!!!

הייתי רוצה לדעת מה סיכויי הקבלה לישראלים לאוניברסיטת שיקגו ולאוניברסיטת KELLOG?

בכל שנה האוניברסיטאות האלה מקבלות ישראלים לתוכנית ה- MBA, בד"כ בסדר גודל של שלושה עד עשרה.

אילו תנאים יכולים לשפר את סיכויי הקבלה? האם הם מעדיפים ניסיון מעשי או שמא ניסיון אקדמאי (תואר שני וכו')?

נסיון מעשי חזק חשוב יותר מתואר שני מבחינת תהליך הקבלה (השני הוא "נחמד שיש", הראשון חיוני).

האם הסיכויים להתקבל לדוקטורט גבוהים מהסיכויים להתקבל לMBA?

תהליך הקבלה הוא שונה, ולכן תלוי מי המועמד. הנתונים המספריים (ציונים) הם בד"כ מרכיב הרבה יותר קריטי כשמדובר בקבלה לדוקטורט.

תודה,

גמר חתימה טובה

בבקשה והרבה בהצלחה,

גילעם

aringo
    חבר

In reply to ariele from October 04 2003

Hi Gilam,

I was wondering if you can give some ideas of appropriate programs, preferably general management oriented.

GMAT 660, B.Sc. at computer science, avg. 78

work exp: 3 years, at a software company and 4 years as an logistic officer.

Ariel, with a strong application you should be competitive at Darden, Duke, Berkley, Cornell, Yale and MIT. Otherwise, you will be competitive at UNC, UCLA, Indiana, Austin, Carnegie Mellon, USC, Emory. I would look at Illinois, Washington, Purdue and Maryland for backup. Darmouth, Coumbia, and Wharton will be a stretch.

Thanks a lot,

You're welcome. Much luck,

Gilam

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

Hi Gilam,

I was wondering if you can give some ideas of appropriate programs, preferably finance and consulting.

Law degree (Heb.University) – avg. 82 GMAT 700

3 years in a special anti terror unit

1 year experience of building professional team and running the team,

3 years investments and trading experience

1 year business law internship (leading Israeli law firm).

Thank you very much,

Marco.

marco
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 24

Gilam,

Forgot to mention – age – 27.

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

Hi Or,

I am a student at University of Chicago GSB, and I will try to answer some of your questions.

A) Universities today do admit several young applicants (although the average age has risen both in Kellogg and in our school in the last year)- many recruiters, in particular consulting and I banking ones loves to get "Tabula Rasa" people with good basics to work for them.

B) You would need to show several main things, which I would question from your story- 1) Why do you need an MBA ? and Why now?- you just finished 2 degree in CS and you already want to pursue an MBA. It seems like you are not focued enough and maybe just pursuing degrees- you should make it very clear why you want an MBA and now

2) Usually the younb people they admit have two very strong things: A) very strong academic proof- which I guess you have B) Substential leadership experience- chairman of the student body etc' (I understood that you haven't gone through military??)

To sum it up, generaly speaking it is possible, although you are on the younger side of the young definition. You need to show why now and why MBA? and you need strong academic skills and leadership.

I would suggest that you should work for 2 more years and get some more focus (why did you work in a bank when you have CS degree?) before applying.

hope it helps

Assaf

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Undisclosed Member from October 09 2003

Hi Gilam,

I was wondering if you can give some ideas of appropriate programs, preferably finance and consulting.

Law degree (Heb.University) – avg. 82 GMAT 700

3 years in a special anti terror unit

1 year experience of building professional team and running the team,

3 years investments and trading experience

1 year business law internship (leading Israeli law firm).

Thanks for the very detailed info, it helps me give you a more informed answer. Assuming your focus is on the US, you will be competitive at UCLA, Michigan, Duke, Cornell, Darden and possibly Chicago. Wharton, Tuck, NYU, Columbia will be hard, but possible. Simon and UNC will be excellent fallback schools. Your best bet may be to pick 2 of the "compeitive" schools, 2 of the "hard" and one of the "fallbacks".

Thank you very much,

You're welcome. Much luck.

Gilam

aringo
    חבר

In reply to or_shachar from October 09 2003

גילעם, שלום!

אני שוקלת האם להתחיל כעת בתהליך ההרשמה (לעשות GMAT ו-TOEFL תחילה).

אני מאוד צעירה, בת 02 (אני מניח שהתכוונת 20, אני רואה 02…), אך בעלת רקע אקדמאי חזק: סיימתי תואר ראשון במדעי המחשב-מתמטיקה ואמורה לסיים תואר שני במתמטיקה (נותרה לי התזה בלבד, את הקורסים סיימתי בממוצע 59 (אני מניח שהתכוונת ל-95).

בנוסף, עבדתי כשנה וחצי ב"בנק-הפועלים" במשרת סטודנט בחדר עסקאות.

אני מודעת לכך שאין לי ניסיון מעשי רב (בלשון המעטה), והייתי רוצה לדעת, האם יש סיכוי, ולו הקטן ביותר, שהאוניברסיטאות "ייתעלמו" מחוסר הניסיון ומגילי הצעיר (בפרט, אוניברסיטאות באזור שיקגו).

אכן יש סיכוי קטן שכן – במקרים חריגים. אם ציוני התואר הראשון שלך וה-GMAT מעולים, והתואר השני בהצטיינות, ויש הסברים מרשימים איך זה שנתנו לך לעשות את זה כל כך מוקדם, והאפליקיישן מעולה, ותצליחי לשכנע אותם למה עכשיו זה הזמן הכי נכון ל-MBA מבחינתך, ייתכן שיחרגו במקרה שלך. בחלק מבתי הספר למנע"ס יש מה שנקרא "submatriculants" – בד"כ אלה חברה שהתחילו את ה-MBA בגיל 21-22 תוך כדי סיום לימודי התואר הראשון בהצטיינות (או הצטיינות יתרה) באותו מוסד עצמו, כך שהקונספט של "צעירים חריגים" קיים. בשלב ראשון, הייתי פונה ללא יותר מ-2-3 בתי"ס לבחון את הקונספט, ומתוך ידיעה שזו אסטרטגיה "קשה". דרך אגב, זו שאלה מעולה לשאול בצ'אטים הבאים שייערכו כאן.

תודה רבה,

בבקשה ובהצלחה!

גילעם

aringo
    חבר

Assaf, just saw your reply, I absolutely agree… thanks for the help! Hope all is going great+,

Gilam

Undisclosed Member
    חבר

In reply to or_shachar from October 10 2003

Or,

By going too young into MBA you might miss few important parts of the experience.
    You may find it hard to contribute in class and hard to reflect new knowledge on past experience. There is also a chance you will find it hard to fit in socially with your classmates.

relax and enjoy you youth.

A

marco
    חבר

I'm trying to establish connection ( via email) with Wharton,Kellogg,Chicago GSB,NYU,LBS and Columabia Local Alumni. Any Info?

Assaf Wand
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 209

Marco,

go to the IIMBA website

under contact us – look at moderators and you'll get a contact list

Assaf

Ido_d
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

גילעם שלום

אני מעונין להרשם לבית הספר סמית, מרילנד.

אשמח אם תוכל להפנות אותי לבוגר ולמקורות מידע נוספים על מנת שאוכל לקבל פרטים על התכנית ותהליך ההרשמה.

בברכה

עידו

Assaf Wand
    חבר

In reply to or_shachar from October 10 2003

Or,

I would be happy to give you more info if you want

you can contact me in [email protected]

Assaf

marco
    חבר

In reply to Ido_d from October 13 2003

למה דווקא מרילנד?

Ido_d
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 2

In reply to marco from October 14 2003

תכנית מוכוונת מערכות מידע וכמו כן משיקולי משפחה ותעסוקה לבת הזוג

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Ido_d from October 13 2003

עידו, לשאלתך לגבי מרילנד – "שם עולה" בדירוגים בעשר השנים האחרונות, טופ 30 מבין מעל 3000 תוכניות MBA בארה"ב. בערך 200 סטודנטים בשנה, מיקום מצויין (פרברי וושינגטון), שכר לימוד נמוך יחסית, אחת מ-10 התוכניות החזקות בארה"ב בניהול בתחום התוכנה/מערכות מידע, שם טוב בקרב מעסיקים באזור וושינגטון, מרילנד ווירג'יניה, משרד השמה ידוע לשימצה (הם עובדים על זה, אך כבר יותר מדי שנים…). תהליך קבלה די סטנדרטי, דומה לזה של אוניברסיטאות מובילות אחרות. דגש חזק על אימפקט במקום העבודה (תשים על זה פוקוס בחיבורים), אוהבים אנשים שבאים משמות גדולים. תוכל לקבל פרטים מדויקים על תהליך ההרשמה שלהם פשוט באתר ההרשמה שלהם – http://www.rhsmith.umd.edu/fullmba/Applications.htm

מקווה שזה עוזר, בהצלחה,

גילעם

YifatM
    חבר

שאלה בקשר לממליץ

גלעם שלום!

דיברתי מרצה באוניברסיטה, שקיבלתי אצלו 95 בעבודת סמינר, לכתוב לי המלצה והוא הסכים, ביקש את העבודה ואת כתובות האוניברסיטאות ואמר שישלח להן בעצמו.

יש לי עם זה שתי בעיות:

1. מה עם הטופס שהממליץ צריך למלא ולהגיש יחד עם מכתב ההמלצה? הוא הרי לא בדיוק מכיר אותי אישית ולא יכול להמליץ על שום דבר מלבד זה שהייתי סטודנטית שלו לפני 5 שנים וקיבלתי 95 בסמינר

2. אני לא יודעת מה הוא הולך לכתוב שם! נכון שהוא לא היה מסכים להמליץ לו רצה לכתוב דברים רעים, אבל בכל זאת, זה לא קצת חתול בשק??

מה דעתך?

aringo
    חבר

יפעת, שאלה מורכבת. אני לא בטוח שזה הממליץ הנכון מבחינתך לאור הרקע של ההיכרות. תרימי טלפון ואנסה לעזור.

גילעם

shiper
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 4

Hi Gilam,

Giving my 710 score on the GMAT, Is it matter at all if I will get 255 or 295 on my TOEFL?

I was once told that TOEFL is just a pass/not pass grade, and that all I need is above 250 – Is that right?

In other words if I can score above 250, should I invest another minute studing?

(Please say no)

Thanks,

Shai.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to shiper from October 18 2003

Shai,

The TOEFL is used as another indicator of your ability to succeed in an intensive program conducted in English. Schools have "traumas" from people who were admitted and then were unable to be a contributing and successful member of the class – something that causes a slew of administrative, academic and image issues.

If the verbal part of your GMAT is strong (38+), it helps. If not, I would say that a TOEFL of 270+ (for top-20 schools) closes the issue. TOEFL of 250 and a GMAT verbal score of 35 or so do raise a (small) concern about your English, a concern that can be alleviated through the personal interview and that can be contered by other strengths. To be on the safe side, a TOEFL of 270+ pretty much closes the English issue, and a TOEFL of 260+ is in most cases strong enough too and will not raise a concern. For schools ranked 20 and below, a TOEFL of 250 will often not raise a concern.

Hope this helps,

Gilam

yuvaly
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 9

Hi Gilam,

I hope you could be of assistance in the following issues:

(1) After reviewing some of the brochures of the Top 10 US B-Schools and reading Mautauk's book I noticed that US B-schools do not appreciate a metamorphosis as far as one's career goals are concerned but would rather like to see some continuum based on what one have done hitherto. This does not apply to LBS where they consider a career shift a legitimate reason to apply.

I have a BSc in CS and Math and a 3 years experience in this field. Although I do not dismiss pursuing a managerial career in the Hi Tech Area, my primary goal is to make a shift into consulting and its relations. What would you suggest ?

(2) What part should I take in the reference process once I have notified my appraisers ?

(i.e. I have emphasized that it should be a helpful tool rather than a critic one, but still, could I influence its exact content without being cheeky ?)

Thanks a lot,

Yuval.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to yuvaly from October 22 2003

Hi Gilam,

I hope you could be of assistance in the following issues:

(1) After reviewing some of the brochures of the Top 10 US B-Schools and reading Mautauk's book I noticed that US B-schools do not appreciate a metamorphosis as far as one's career goals are concerned but would rather like to see some continuum based on what one have done hitherto. This does not apply to LBS where they consider a career shift a legitimate reason to apply.

I have a BSc in CS and Math and a 3 years experience in this field. Although I do not dismiss pursuing a managerial career in the Hi Tech Area, my primary goal is to make a shift into consulting and its relations. What would you suggest ?

As you correctly pointed out, it will be a bit harder to excite the admissions guys with this kind of story, but it is not impossible. First, I suggest you tell the truth about your plans. Sometimes people say: "but my career plan will not be attractive to the admissions committee". In many such cases, it is because their career plan is not build on solid grounds. A great part of my work is sitting together with people and helping them create a solid career plan. In your case, you do need to clearly clarify where the decision to switch to consulting came from, what kind of consulting you are referring to, what will make you a strong candidate for such positions, and where this path may be leading in the long term.

(2) What part should I take in the reference process once I have notified my appraisers ?

(i.e. I have emphasized that it should be a helpful tool rather than a critic one, but still, could I influence its exact content without being cheeky ?)

Yuval, you are allowed to meet with your recommenders, explain the process and its importance to them, refresh their mind about your mutual experience and remind them of past events and examples. You are not allowed to see the recommendation that they have sent to the school. Discussing things with your recommender, explaining the process to him/her, expressing your hopes for a strong recommendation and explaining to them what makes a strong recommendation can all be used, assuming that you have the solid relationship with the recommender that enables you to discuss the above with him/her.

Thanks a lot,

You're welcome. Much luck!

Gilam

shiper
    חבר

Hi Gilam,

I would like to ask you about my chances of getting into the top 5.

GMAT: 710

TOEFL: 275

EDUCATION:
    Bsc Math and CS at TAU graduated Magna Cum Laude
    First half of my studies at top 3% with GPA of 91
    During my secound year I have started to work as an engineer at a
    respectable american corporate. That's when my grades started to deteriorate.
    My final GPA is 88
    MA at Economics at Berglas – candidate
    With full time job. Current GPA 88

Army:
    Infentry

Work Experience:
    6 years of experience. (4.5 at full time)
    Started a developer at R&D of very respectable firms
    Shifted to Sales and Marketing after 3 years
    Worked as a Sales Eng. in Boston for a year
    Currently am working as a Product Manager at one of the biggest American Corporation. With product revenue of 25M$/year.

Extracurricular:
    I have formed and am leading a blus/rock band.

Comunity service:
    Not much
    PERACH during University (does it count? How should phrase this in the application)
    Also been a member of the RoundTable which is basicly an organization that uses it's members business connections and talents to further comunity service of all kind – Have you heard what it ?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

Shai.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to shiper from October 24 2003

Hi Gilam,

I would like to ask you about my chances of getting into the top 5.

GMAT: 710

TOEFL: 275

EDUCATION:
    Bsc Math and CS at TAU graduated Magna Cum Laude
    First half of my studies at top 3% with GPA of 91
    During my secound year I have started to work as an engineer at a
    respectable american corporate. That's when my grades started to deteriorate.
    My final GPA is 88
    MA at Economics at Berglas – candidate
    With full time job. Current GPA 88

Well, you are obviously a very smart guy! Thanks for providing detailed data. That helps me give you an informed answer.

Army:
    Infentry

Work Experience:
    6 years of experience. (4.5 at full time)
    Started a developer at R&D of very respectable firms
    Shifted to Sales and Marketing after 3 years
    Worked as a Sales Eng. in Boston for a year
    Currently am working as a Product Manager at one of the biggest American Corporation. With product revenue of 25M$/year.

Extracurricular:
    I have formed and am leading a blus/rock band.

Comunity service:
    Not much
    PERACH during University (does it count? Yes. If you were paid, this is a part time job, otherwise – voluntary community servic. How should phrase this in the application) Also been a member of the RoundTable which is basicly an organization that uses it's members business connections and talents to further comunity service of all kind – Have you heard what it ? Yes. Different people have different connotations regarding this organization (especially some women have issues with it), I would play too much on this one.

What do you think?

Assuming you submit a high quality application, I think that you are competitive at places like Wharton, Columbia, Chicago, Kellogg. I think that HBS and Standord will be a stretch, but not out of the question. In addition, I recommend that you apply to at leat one school in the "second 5" and at least one school in the "second 10".

Thanks in advance,

Sure, much luck.

Gilam

דנה
    חבר

Gilam Hey!

Do you know whether there is a minimum Tofel score needed in Harvard, Columbia, Nyu, MIT and Wharton universities?

aringo
    חבר

Usually a TOEFL below 250 is problematic. You will find specific reference to TOEFL issues in the TOEFL section of the application instructions on the website of each of the schools.

Hope this helps,

Gilam

shiper
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from October 26 2003

Thanks a lot Gilam.

Can you please elaborate on the RoundTable thing, you said I "should" or
    "shouldn't" play too much on it?

One more question: For universities I am applying at the second round, does it matter how early into the second round I am applying? How about Colubia and NYU which have rolling addmision?

Thanks again,
    Shai.

rkmba2002
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 54

In reply to yuvaly from October 22 2003

Yuval,

I am not sure you are right about US school's not liking career metamorphosis ( I think they use the term caree-changers here in this regard).

Many schools understands that at lease many if not most MBA students are career changers. From the student around me (Kellogg), less than 10% will come back to their own employer or even industry.

The thing is that the next career should have some reliance on your previous career. This connection might be vague, but need to be there. for example: if you want to go to consulting, you can state that the analytical skills you developed in your current job will be an asset you will use in your consulting career. same goes for teamwork, etc. The reasoning is that it does not really important what you actually did (eg designed cell phones) – it is much more important what you learned (eg: work in a team, lead, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Roy

yuvaly
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 9

In reply to rkmba2002 from October 28 2003

Hi Roy,

Your reply was very insightful. As I was under the impression that there must be a strong relation between what one has done hitherto rather what one has learnt in order to determine if one's career goals are plausible.

Thanks again,

Yuval.

aringo
    חבר

In reply to rkmba2002 from October 28 2003

Roy, great to "see" you here! An honor to have you around! Thanks for helping out.

Gilam

aringo
    חבר

In reply to shiper from October 26 2003

Thanks a lot Gilam.

Can you please elaborate on the RoundTable thing, you said I "should" or
    "shouldn't" play too much on it?

I meant to say "shouldn't", this organization is a bit controversial and, from what I heard, is not necessarily considered a "strong" activity (there are different opinions).

One more question: For universities I am applying at the second round, does it matter how early into the second round I am applying? How about Colubia and NYU which have rolling addmision?

In general, if there are "rounds" it most likely doesn't matter when you applied during the round. In cases of rolling admission, it is probably best to apply as early as possible.

Thanks again,
    Sure, hope this helps.

Gilam

ירון
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 28

גילעם, אתה יודע כמה ישראלים נרשמים כל שנה לוורטון וכמה מתקבלים? זה נכון גם שכל שנה שעוברת נרשמים יותר ויותר ישראלים?

rkmba2002
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from October 28 2003

Thanks Gilam, good to "be" here, Roy

cordelia
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 10

שאלה בקשר להמלצות.

האם די בכך שהממליצים, במקום לענות על השאלות המפרכות, יכתבו מכתב אחד מפורט הנוגע לכל הנקודות המרכזיות בשאלות

(leadership, weaknesses, stregnths, innovation, motivation…..)

כיוון שהם מאד עסוקים ואין שום סיכוי שהם יענו על שאלות של 6 אוניברסיטאות שונות.

Ohadbar1
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 12

Hi Gilam

What do you think my chances are regarding the top schools. should i retake the GMAT?

in Brief:

EDUCATION:
    BA Economics TAU
    GPA of 80
    During my studies i worked full-time at our family factory- Production of electronic equipment- VERY extensive experience but it influaned my grades.

Grew up in Arizona – ages 4 to 10 (6 years).

Army:
    Inteligence

Work Experience:
    3 years of experience -full-time . (all during my studies)
    Started sales and marketing – Head of sales team.
    and then (2 years ago) established the export devision including international production outsourcing ,marketing ,fairs and strategy (very extensive experience- which could easly be shown). Includes almost every business aspect of a export factory.
    Planning to shift into the financial industry. (preffered in regard to the mba?)

immidiatly after the army i established 2 start-ups which were both close to fund raising (we arrived to the demo stageof development)

Extracurricular:
    study chinese (work with them alot…)

Now trying to Establish a china-israel economic forum between Universities.

Comunity service:
    before the army i established a non-profit organization of young people to take forth a non-political project to develop the Negev region. (for 3 years) – i Received recongnition by the army and continued to lecture, meet and lead the organization which was renowned by many public figures (who were friends of our lobby) in addition to our thousands of supporters. (could write about it a lot – but thats the main idea) – very intensive activity.

-engaged in other community activity.

I have now returned from the GMAT in which i got a 670 (M 44, V38) is it enough or should take it again?

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,

rkmba2002
    חבר

In reply to cordelia from October?30?2003

I think it is very important to have the reco tailored to the specific school. It shows that you are intersted in this particular school, rather then shooting in all directions.

You can consider asking for additional recos from other people, to level up the work load (that's what I did – but I know it is hard enough to find 2 good people…)

aringo
    חבר

In reply to ירון from October 28 2003

גילעם, אתה יודע כמה ישראלים נרשמים כל שנה לוורטון וכמה מתקבלים? זה נכון גם שכל שנה שעוברת נרשמים יותר ויותר ישראלים?

ירון, בשנים האחרונות וורטון הגדילה את מס' הישראלים שמתקבלים. היסטורית, עד לפני כארבע שנים, הממוצע עמד על 3-5 לאורך שנים רבות. בשנים האחרונות הממוצע עלה לכיוון ה-8-10 (ובשנה האחרונה אף יותר), ונקווה שיישאר כך… התחושה שלי היא שגם השנה יהיה בוורטון "בציר" ישראלי טוב. שנה שעברה, דרך אגב, הרוב המוחלט של הישראלים התקבל בסיבוב הראשון.

גילעם

aringo
    חבר

In reply to cordelia from October 30 2003

שאלה בקשר להמלצות.

האם די בכך שהממליצים, במקום לענות על השאלות המפרכות, יכתבו מכתב אחד מפורט הנוגע לכל הנקודות המרכזיות בשאלות

(leadership, weaknesses, stregnths, innovation, motivation…..)

כיוון שהם מאד עסוקים ואין שום סיכוי שהם יענו על שאלות של 6 אוניברסיטאות שונות.

שאלה מצויינת. לינדה מיהן מקולומביה, ששתארח כאן בצ'אט עוד כמה ימים, מגדירה את זה יפה: "אין לנו בעיה שיכתבו מכתבים אחידים לבתי ספר שבעדיפות נמוכה אצלהם. בסה"כ הם צריכים לכתוב שני מכתבים: מכתב אחד שעונה על השאלות (לקולומביה) ומכתב אחיד לשאר המקומות". הגישה הזו בדיוק מייצגת רבות מוועדות הקבלה. את יכולה להתקבל גם אם תעשי את זה, אבל זה בד"כ יפגע (ולעיתים משמעותית) באפקטיביות של האפליקיישן שלך.מכתבי ההמלצה חשובים, אם את צריכה דוגמאות צרי קשר ואנסה לעזור.

גילעם

aringo
    חבר

In reply to Ohadbar1 from October 30 2003

Hi Gilam

What do you think my chances are regarding the top schools. should i retake the GMAT?

in Brief:

EDUCATION:
    BA Economics TAU
    GPA of 80
    During my studies i worked full-time at our family factory- Production of electronic equipment- VERY extensive experience but it influaned my grades.

Grew up in Arizona – ages 4 to 10 (6 years).

Army:
    Inteligence

Work Experience:
    3 years of experience -full-time . (all during my studies)
    Started sales and marketing – Head of sales team.
    and then (2 years ago) established the export devision including international production outsourcing ,marketing ,fairs and strategy (very extensive experience- which could easly be shown). Includes almost every business aspect of a export factory.
    Planning to shift into the financial industry. (preffered in regard to the mba?)

immidiatly after the army i established 2 start-ups which were both close to fund raising (we arrived to the demo stageof development)

Extracurricular:
    study chinese (work with them alot…)

Now trying to Establish a china-israel economic forum between Universities.

Funny, I did just that too prior to b-school…

Comunity service:
    before the army i established a non-profit organization of young people to take forth a non-political project to develop the Negev region. (for 3 years) – i Received recongnition by the army and continued to lecture, meet and lead the organization which was renowned by many public figures (who were friends of our lobby) in addition to our thousands of supporters. (could write about it a lot – but thats the main idea) – very intensive activity.

Was that during high school?

-engaged in other community activity.

I have now returned from the GMAT in which i got a 670 (M 44, V38) is it enough or should take it again?

Hard question. Depends on so many factors… do you think you can improve it by about 30 points? Do you feel like putting more effort into studying for it (read the ETS book at night, that's probably most effective)? When are you applying? and more…

What do you think?

Good that you provided a lot of data (I am still missing a few key elements, though). Given your focus on Finance, and assuming that you do not have post-BA work experience, I think that you will be competitive at UCLA, Berkeley, Simon and McCombs. Duke, Michigan, Cornell will be a little stretch. Wharton, Columbia, NYU, Chicago are a stretch.

Thanks in advance,

You're welcome. Much luck.

Gilam

Ohadbar1
    חבר

In reply to Gilam from October 31 2003

Hi Gilam, Thanks for your reply. – as for the additional information you stated could help you evaluate:

About the non-profit organization, i established it after graduating high school and for three years (through most of my service in the army) – it was recognized by the army and they encouraged it by the special position i was granted which allowed me to continue to lead the organization.

second, you mentioned you also tried to establish a forum- could you write a bit about it… (very interesting)

Regarding the Gmat – i took a course which i was the top of the class, and the truth is, i expected a much higher score (on Math) – the preparation tests i took indicated a much higher score (48-50) but the truth is i am no professional on tests like this, and would like to avoid retaking the if not necessary. (potentially could receive 30 more points but I do not think that would be the side which I should emphisis on my application – gpa and test scores)

I think the main focus of my application should be, trying to show my other qualities regarding my experience with establishing and buck and boosting projects (the entrepreneur side) which I can definitely show with great detail on an application.

I do not believe I should compete with the finance and consulting applicants on their positions (which most of the time also have very high GPA’s and Gmat’s) because I believe I can offer the MBA programs something else…

I can apply between now and in 2 years (the most important thing is to enter a top school)after receiving post-graduate work experience, and I could also now decide in which direction my work should be. ( I have an option to enter the financial industry…) But again, that (please correct me if I’m wrong) does not highlight me regarding other applicants.

would it be a bit easier for me to be accepted to the top schools to marketing instead of finance?

and last, what wouold be the career path (job) i should now persue in israel inorder to enhance my chances regarding finance (instead of international markeing in high-tech) . for about 2-3 years?

I will most appreciate your response.

And again, Thank you very very much

ירון
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 28

In reply to Gilam from October 31 2003

אתה מתכוון שרוב מי שנרשם בסיבוב הראשון התקבל או שרוב מי שהתקבל נרשם בסיבוב הראשון?

Assaf Wand
    חבר

In reply to Ohadbar1 from October 31 2003

Hi Ohad,

Just a thought I have, social/ non for profit entrepreneurs are a very appealing group for Biz schools, and usually they can get away with lower GPA and GMAT

If I were you this would have been my focus in the application, what is very important in this matter is the: Why MBA? Why Now? Why X? because most of the other stories are quite clear.

You should think hard on these matters and keep working in this sector to support such a case, your organization should be substential and the application should support that (by recommenders etc')

hope it helps

Assaf

feba
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 3

Hi Gilam,

Do you know where I can find information about scholarships? (for women or general)

Ohadbar1
    חבר

In reply to עומר from September 08 2003

what is this chart? it seems that the GPA conversion from an Israeli grade results in a very low GPA… (80 in Tel-Aviv university- 2.7? seems too low)

עומר
    חבר
    מספר הפוסטים: 49

yes, so? 80 is kinda low…

anyway, what do you care??? no school except for Columbia asks you to convert. you just put your raw score.

מוצגות 50 תגובות – 151 עד 200 (מתוך 1,134 סה״כ)
  • יש להתחבר למערכת על מנת להגיב.